Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Highly recommend the Sam Adams Imperial Series.

So far tried the Double Bock and the Wee Heavy and they are both delicious. And potent (9 and 10% alc).

SamAdamsImperialDoubleBock.jpg

samuel-adams-wee-heavy.jpg

I've had the Imperial Series Imperial Stout before, have a review on Youtube:
‪#19 Samuel Adams Imperial Stout - Maxwell Starr's Beer Review‬‏ - YouTube

It was pretty good, nice dark roasty flavours and hints of dark cherry.

I found the Imperial Stout to be a bit too much for me (and I love stouts) but maybe I just need to try it again. The Cream Stout however, I loved

The Cream Stout was good, though the 2nd time we had it I remember it being better the 1st time. Also really liked their Honey Porter.

I've also had:
Boston Lager
Oktoberfest
Winter Lager
Noble Pils
Summer Ale

I'm intrigued by the Sam Adams cherry wheat - on one hand, I usually abhor wheat beer, but I do love kriek. I wonder if I can find it here, though the Boston Lager and Summer Ale seem to be the only that are readily available.

I had a Goose Island stout last winter (one they release on occasion in a red bottle. Have to check my basement for the exact name) that was really good. 14% too. the only problem was it was so complex and filling I could only drink one a night. And I like more than one a night :)

That is fine beer! You try Karmeliet Tripel yet. A cleaner ale that is nice in the summer.

I've got several more times I'll be at Bryant-Lake Bowl locally in the next 2 months, so I'm going to work through their good beer list.

(FTR--I don't the the Maredsous I tried was the "blonde" like it says in the picture.)

Moosehead Breweries in Saint John, NB, Canada are distributing their brews.. but I don't think they are actually brewing them

Oh and get this. Moosehead brews Guinness Extra Stout for the Eastern States but I can't get Extra Stout here.. despite the fact that I am about five minutes away from Moosehead breweries. If I have a hankering for extra stout, I have to go into Maine to get it.

Im from Rothesay! :)

sneaky%2Bpete.jpg

I've been drinking this IPA from Laughing Dog lately. It doesn't take away the pain of Dogfish Head pulling their 90 minute IPA (and everything else) out of my state, but it's not a bad replacement and the label makes me smile. And it's 10%.

Woodchuck_Fall_Cider_small.jpg

:down::down::down::down:

Only a :up: if it's Thanksgiving. Otherwise, gross. Tastes like an extra sweet gingerbread house.

yuengling.jpg

Naturally :up: of the two most recent I've had.

bb28pale.jpg

Burleigh Heads 28 Pale Ale. Very refreshing, been enjoying it in the good streak of weather that's been here recently. Well worth a pick up.

For Australians, it's made in QLD - which I find quite surprising as it seems there aren't too many microbreweries there, let alone good ones.

I went to a beer tasting Friday night and had a few beers that were new to me. This stout from O'Hara's stood out. I hope to track it down soon and confirm what my nuked palate seemed to be telling me.

OH_Irish_Stout_Product_Shot.jpg

In England, Fosters is the free beer served with a burger and chips at the student union. It's the only way pubs can get rid of it.

Really? :lol: Honestly, I was expecting to dry reach when I took a sip, but I had the whole thing without really coming close to being ill. Guess I'm not a big enough beer snob :wink:

Though pretty much anything I've ever had in a can sucked

Well it's not the worst lager in the world, but when it's among another 6 or 7 beers on tap at the bar you have to wonder why anyone would willingly buy it.

Canned lagers are terrible, they all taste like tin. I'm always appalled at my friends back home who drink from room temperature tins; it's a stereotype I'm quick to disassociate myself from.

I still think Foster's is better than any of the mega-mass-produced American lagers. The couple of times I've had it, I thought it was fine for a fizzy yellow beer.

Well it's not the worst lager in the world, but when it's among another 6 or 7 beers on tap at the bar you have to wonder why anyone would willingly buy it.

Canned lagers are terrible, they all taste like tin. I'm always appalled at my friends back home who drink from room temperature tins; it's a stereotype I'm quick to disassociate myself from.

Oh yeah, agreed with that. Do you know what Carlton Dry is? A lager? Draught? That's essentially the only beer I buy.

Major :down: for that. I know people who do that with fosters... you'd much rather stay sober.

That would be a lager. I think I'm right in saying that if it's on tap it's a lager, if it's on a pump it's ale / beer.

I go for Blonde on tap and Boags in bottles.

That would be a lager. I think I'm right in saying that if it's on tap it's a lager, if it's on a pump it's ale / beer.

Technically speaking, Ale's use Top Fermenting yeasts that ferment at room temperature, and Lagers use Bottom fermenting yeasts that ferment at colder temperatures. Ale's tend to have more body and character(flavour), where Lagers are usually lighter and cleaner. The biggest difference is that Lagers are more friendly to mass-production systems, and the most tasteless of which get shipped to bars and sold under names such as Coors Light, Budweiser...

As for the whole tap vs pump thing, I believe it's possible to have Ale's on tap, but pumps are I think always Ales.

Back
Top Bottom