Back problems, medical info and sharing advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Behj......you answered my question. I did do the right thing.

I was afraid at that time. Of the possibility of surgery. Our insurance said it was elective. But, if things had become worst. JH wouldn't have hesitated to treat me. With or without coverage. And their financial counselors would have helped me to get some type of Medicare/Medical Assistance. My disc didn't "blow" and as you know it was sudden onset, caused by an accident. Which, of course. I blame no one for. Injuries happen all the time in sports.

I understand now. That I also, had pulled muscles and ligaments in my leg/hip to deal with too. Which, of course, caused some of the pain and stiffness. Slow stretching really is the best remedy for this. Repeated Round house kicks to a heavy hanging sand bag, being tossed around like a rag doll on thin mats. Two hours at a time black belt classes, three times per week. Plus, full contact sparing. I was the smallest person in my class. I am a little over 5'4". A petite woman. Three of the men were 6' tall and counting. All out weighed me by at least fifty pounds. Solid muscle.

Kiddies, do not try this at home!

As far as Martial Arts. I am very proud of the level. I achieved. 2nd. Dan. Black Belt.

But, now at 53. I love walking and especially swimming, even more so. These sports/exercises are much better suited for me. Plus, they keep my blood sugar, blood pressure in the normal ranges, without any meds. A triple bonus.

Thanks again, Benj! :hug:

Thanks Behj......you answered my question. I did do the right thing.

I was afraid at that time. Of the possibility of surgery. Our insurance said it was elective. But, if things had become worst. JH wouldn't have hesitated to treat me. With or without coverage. And their financial counselors would have helped me to get some type of Medicare/Medical Assistance. My disc didn't "blow" and as you know it was sudden onset, caused by an accident. Which, of course. I blame no one for. Injuries happen all the time in sports.

I understand now. That I also, had pulled muscles and ligaments in my leg/hip to deal with too. Which, of course, caused some of the pain and stiffness. Slow stretching really is the best remedy for this. Repeated Round house kicks to a heavy hanging sand bag, being tossed around like a rag doll on thin mats. Two hours at a time black belt classes, three times per week. Plus, full contact sparing. I was the smallest person in my class. I am a little over 5'4". A petite woman. Three of the men were 6' tall and counting. All out weighed me by at least fifty pounds. Solid muscle.

Kiddies, do not try this at home!

As far as Martial Arts. I am very proud of the level. I achieved. 2nd. Dan. Black Belt.

But, now at 53. I love walking and especially swimming, even more so. These sports/exercises are much better suited for me. Plus, they keep my blood sugar, blood pressure in the normal ranges, without any meds. A triple bonus.

Thanks again, Benj! :hug:

No problem at all.

Surgery isn't faster , except to get the problem out too prevent further damage . Then you have to go thru the PT as you know , and that 10 % mght be higher as you are recovering from the surgery and have to do the Pt any way. So, one way or another it is the same thing , except with the surgery, to use your 10 % , it might be 15 % -30 % .

Mine ended up I think 24 % approx, and I will always have some pain . As I said, I can litteraly feel each screw in the 2 plates. Bone graft I don't feel . With a c-7 injury, it is right where your neck bends, and that's where motor function begins. If I drink moore than 2 glasses of wine, it is lke someone hit me with a baseball bat, right where the plates are, and goes right to a headache. The muscles tighten severely , down from your neck , and that creates pressure that cause it to be stronger. Wine intensify's that, so I really dont do that any more.

The other option was to continue to wait, and it could have "poped" at any moment.I could have just crumbled to the ground, with respitory failure, and most likely gone . So surgery it was. All in all it is better, but when it hurts, it does. Especially when I am 8 hours with my head bent down. We were are textbook for having it, or not having it.

It is good that in both cases, it worked for our respective lives. Thats what is Ultimately the goal.

My wife had a car accident and it was severe. Rods, plates grafts. No choice. Then not 8 months later another rear end, and repair of the first, then more plates, rods etc. She does well, but she will be on some pain regiment for life. The strong stuff, but it doesnt affect her daily life, but she will get the nerves going in her leg, or spasm. It hurts to watch. We are doing studies on a new one,surgery that one day migt help her. Will see how it goes. So either way there are some consequences.

Yours was a 90%, really 100 % as it could ever be. I say as a rule, if there is any question, second consult always. If it is a just a disk, PT always first. If one has a good therapist( don't like the Chain PT places" they usually can get it right .

We like happy endings.

Laura, do them after work as well. They won't hurt or strain, if done properly. The stretches should be done very slow. (Think yoga). It really does help to strengthen those loser back muscles. I do these every day. Another exercise I do is too sit cross legged on the floor. Ankles close to the thighs (Indian position). I sit with my back straight. I stretch my arms out in front of me. And I slowly bend my back and reach with my hands and touch the floor in front of me. I slowly, with my back relaxed and one vertebrae at a time. Straighten my back. This is good for the upper back and neck, too.

If you are not sure, what I am saying. It can be confusing without pics. Google back strengthening exercise. Websites will show pics of the proper techniques.

Thanks! :wave:

Benj, I am sorry to hear about your wife. And also, you. It must have been horrible. Very serious injuries. Even, life threatening. I'm glad you both recovered. It is amazing the progress surgery has made in even the past twenty years.

I really do have the greatest respect, for everyone who works in the Medical Fields. If it wasn't for you folks. We wouldn't have the quality of life. We enjoy today. Thanks to all of you! You are God's angels.

Thank you Unico! And best of luck with your career. I have the greatest respect for those who work in the field of medicine. You folks, are the real "rock stars!"

Carek,

Here is a little information from a website Medicine Net. Com

"As for nutritional measures, it is known that oils of fish contain omega-3 fatty acids. Which, can provide additional antiinflammatory effects that might reduce some of the symptoms of DISH. They can be purchased at any pharmacy or health food store."

This just popped up today , may be of interest.

been nice if it had worked.

Glucosamine no better than placebo for back pain - Health - Arthritis - msnbc.com

Thanks Benj......that was interesting read! It is good that this is studied too.

We've all seen the commercials for dietary supplements, losing weight, pain management, etc. And then at the bottom of the screen. It says.....It has not been approved by the FDA. I take that as.....do at your own risk. I would rather ask my DR. first.

Thanks Benj......that was interesting read! It is good that this is studied too.

We've all seen the commercials for dietary supplements, losing weight, pain management, etc. And then at the bottom of the screen. It says.....It has not been approved by the FDA. I take that as.....do at your own risk. I would rather ask my DR. first.

There is a company now, who is testing all these supplements , kind of lke a UL or Consumer reports.

Companies Voluntarily send in their products, for testing. Supplements are good, and I certainly believe in holistic medicines and treatments, but there is a lot of "junk" out there . Know where they come from, as many have been found to have mercury, and a host of not so good stuff.

This is good to know, and something we don't always think about. I take calcium with vitamin D. Something my DR, recommended. But, that is it.

For healthy weight control.....good old fashion diet and exercise. Even though, my weight has never been a health issue.

Walking is good for anyone who can do so. It really does strengthen the back. I liked when you suggested walking in water. That was exactly, what I did. As I was recovering from my injury. The resistance is just right. And the risk of getting hurt is almost nonexistent. Plus, it helped me regain my muscle strength and tone.

You are absolutely right and so are others who said the very same thing. When, it comes to the back, you either use it or lose it. Especially, when you have had to have surgery. It's not a quick fix. Always, the last option.

Note to any women who are age forty and beyond. Healthy diet and exercise are most important. It really does help us later on. Especially around Menopause and beyond. As Benj said. The spine does compress a little more as we age. Gravity takes it's hold. But, we women are at a higher risk for brittle bone disease than men. And can get tiny fractures in the spine. Remember "Grandma's hump." That is the advanced stages of this disease. Me, I would much rather prevent it. As much as I can.

Today I bought some fish oil so I can start taking that as a supplement and see if it helps my symptoms at all.

I spent a majority of the day driving around San Diego county picking up paperwork from my doctor's office and hand delivering it to the State Disability office then heading to the post office to mail the form for a permanent Handicap Placard my doctor recommends. I did a fair amount of walking in parking lots, stores, and taking the dog out twice today so I am exhausted. I don't understand how these state and government agencies lose so much paperwork. This is the second set of paperwork my doctor has produced for SDI as they were requested on 5/25. Anyway I have 3 SDI checks coming my way which greatly improves my financial situation and bank balance (or lack thereof) and all of this helps keep the stress level in a good place which in turn keeps me feeling better. :up:

I need to get myself into the big pool for some walking and water exercise classes now. I'm happy trying some of the suggestions offered here though. I hope everyone else is doing well. :hug:

That is good news Carek! About the SDI and back payment. I am so glad that you were able to get it. I know paper work can be a hassle, ready to pull your hair out sort of thing. My family went through this, when my late father-in-law, needed SDI. He had a brain tumor.

off on Vacation tomorrow. Going to the Islands for a week, then to France. Hopefully the show in Turin ... hope it happens, but I will know before then

Everyone stay safe, and I will send Photo's. A few you might really like ! :applaud:

B

Have a great trip, Benji, look forward to the photos!

I awoke this morning aching from head to toe, joints, muscles, the whole 9 yards. Ibuprofen is making my stomach hurt even taking it with food. To top things off the jacuzzi right outside my apt is not heating and it won't be fixed until next week. :angry: So I'm chalking today up to one of those "not so good" days, but it too shall pass. At least there are people that understand how this goes. I'm trying to make the best of it. This thread helps. :wave: So I am taking things easy and pampering myself today. Hope everyone else is doing alright. :hug:

Have a great trip, Benji, look forward to the photos!

I awoke this morning aching from head to toe, joints, muscles, the whole 9 yards. Ibuprofen is making my stomach hurt even taking it with food. To top things off the jacuzzi right outside my apt is not heating and it won't be fixed until next week. :angry: So I'm chalking today up to one of those "not so good" days, but it too shall pass. At least there are people that understand how this goes. I'm trying to make the best of it. This thread helps. :wave: So I am taking things easy and pampering myself today. Hope everyone else is doing alright. :hug:

I'm sorry to hear this. Please see a DR. As soon as you are able. I am worried about your stomach pains. I couldn't take Ibuprofen for longer than a few weeks. It made me sick, too.

I hear you. I am waiting for 3 SDI checks and only have $7 right now. I will take care of this ASAP. Meanwhile I am doing the BRAT diet and eating bland. It helps a bit. Also Prilosec helps but I have no more :( Things have got to be looking up as our weather is supposed to begin warming up and that will help. It's always something with us older beings, isn't it?!!!

I tend to eat a bland diet too. Baked, broiled or boiled. It doesn't give me any indigestion. Plus, I like it.

I have the most trouble with Italian food. So, I never eat it.

It really does a number on my blood sugar. Pastas, tomato sauces and all of those heavy cheeses. Turn right into sugar for me, in a very short period of time. Within, an hour or so. I become so sleepy. From the rapid blood sugar elevation.

Even those with Pre-Type 2 Diabetes, have to be careful with their diet. Lots of fresh vegetables, including potatoes, a piece of fresh fruit, proteins from fish, eggs, and lean meats. You have to watch out for the carbs that turn too quickly into sugar. Maintaining a normal healthy weight and moderate exercise on a regular basis. Is a must. Walking and swimming are best.

So, far. I don't need to take any meds. To control my blood sugar. I am hoping to keep it that way for as long as I can. Even though, I have several risk factors for Type 2. Family history and gestational diabetes. Red flags.

I hear you on having to watch the blood sugars and Diabetes as that is another genetic gift I must continue to avoid. I have the same indigestion problem with the pizza or tomato sauces and I've noticed it more recently what with the whole moving process I've not been eating as I should. Now that I've got things settled and found a good local organic market I can focus on the diet and lowering the blood sugar. I always feel better eating fresh whole grains, fresh produce including lots of veggies and fruits. Yum.

Same here. Pizza, garlic, tomato sauces do a number on me. Indigestion. Fast food has the same effect. It makes me sick. I am so use to eating bland foods, lots of veggies. That if I stray from this. My stomach will notice.

I'm sorry if I tend to go on about this but I wanted to know when does minor surgery that does not cause permenant adverse reactions turn into major surgery that weakens the heart?

When I was 6 or 7 there was a boy in my class who went to his dentist and became seriously ill after going under anesthetic. Sadly he died days afterwards. I don't want to appear prejudice in any way but I have heard that anesthetists find it harder to check breathing difficulties in black people and he was black. Isn't that ridiculous in this day in age that the colour of your skin has a huge impact regarding your safety under anesthetic?

Ever since then I've always had a fear of surgery, hospitals and general anesthetic. I always thought that general was the type of anesthetic that causes the most risks but some people have spoken about it as though it is not the most risky type. My mum told me that she once watched a TV documentary set in a hospital where a surgeon that was performing op's on a women who needed succession of surgeries where she was put under using general anesthetic. He said that every sort of operation which involves this type of anesthetic permently weakens the heart but others have told me that this is not true.

I was just reading in my medicines book that any surgery that takes between 1-2 hours and the patient is given premedication such as an opiod. This is what they think happened to Michael Jackson and also Kanye West's mum. Both had undergone a succession of cosmetic surgical procedures that the opiod painkillers they had taken had destroyed their heart muscles.

It also says that occasionally an Antichonergic is given in premedication with general anesthetic in order to prevent secretions into the airways. It also says that these type of drugs do weaken the heart. However, if a back operation that take 1 hour tops an anitchonergic won't be necessay will it? I was watching a docu-soap set in a hospital and there was a boy who had to undergo an operation under general anesthetic that lasted 1 and a half hours after he had experienced a double fracture in his elbow. Now they wouldn't need to give him an antichonergic and an opiod for this type of surgery because it's not too long and neither is it very invasive.

When I mentioned this to my mum we both concluded that this nor surgery for things like a burst appendix or a cleft pallet although will require a general anesthetic but aren't major enough to weaken the heart.

I don't know, Annie. Benj is on holiday.

But, dentist in the U.S. Normally, don't put you under. Unless, it is a long surgical procedure and the patient request it. They do a great job with numbing your mouth. So, you usually don't feel any pain. During, the procedure. I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled at one visit and was not put under. It took less than an hour, including a few stitches. No ill after effects, either. I was able to eat regular food within a four days.

With surgery, DR.s need to know all of your medical history. Tell them everything. Even if you think it is not important. Including any heart or breathing problems, high or low blood pressure, anxiety disorders, allergies to meds. seizures, stomach problems, diabetes, etc.

Several days before surgery. You must have a complete physical exam. To ensure, you are healthy enough. All of your blood work, must be normal. Unless, of course, surgery is a dyer emergency. Never be embarrassed to tell them, you are afraid. They are professionals, who completely understand and now how to make you feel relaxed. No one says, hooray! I am having surgery. Everyone is scared.

A friend of mine had knee replacement surgery. She was given an epidoril (the same given during childbirth, if requested). Anyway, she was numb from the waist down and given a light sleep. Though, she was aware of what was going on. She was very, very relaxed. She said it was some sort of gas, that you breathe. It actually, felt pleasant to her. And it didn't make her sick, afterwards. They were able to wake her, immediately. After her surgery was done.

I'm sorry if I tend to go on about this but I wanted to know when does minor surgery that does not cause permenant adverse reactions turn into major surgery that weakens the heart?

When I was 6 or 7 there was a boy in my class who went to his dentist and became seriously ill after going under anesthetic. Sadly he died days afterwards. I don't want to appear prejudice in any way but I have heard that anesthetists find it harder to check breathing difficulties in black people and he was black. Isn't that ridiculous in this day in age that the colour of your skin has a huge impact regarding your safety under anesthetic?

Ever since then I've always had a fear of surgery, hospitals and general anesthetic. I always thought that general was the type of anesthetic that causes the most risks but some people have spoken about it as though it is not the most risky type. My mum told me that she once watched a TV documentary set in a hospital where a surgeon that was performing op's on a women who needed succession of surgeries where she was put under using general anesthetic. He said that every sort of operation which involves this type of anesthetic permently weakens the heart but others have told me that this is not true.

That's okay. You are just asking a question. I don't think race has anything to do with reaction to medication. It would be more of an allergy. Than anything else. There is always some risk, when it comes to surgery. But, this "risk" are much less, than say. Thirty years ago.

Knee and back surgery are not as invasive. As they use to be. Better results, in a shorter amount of time. About an hour for a Discetomy. Removal of the small portion, of a herniated disc. Because, of microscopic-surgery. The incision is much smaller, too. About 3 CM. Recovery time is fairly quick, with PT of course.

On the news their was a story about a girl who had gone to have her tonsils removed and suffered a cardiac arrest under general anesthetic and Nitric oxide gas because it all interacted with the contraceptive pill she was taking. How comes they never asked her if she was taking any medication?

Also how are you supposed to know whether or not you're allergic to penicillin or anesthetic? With hair dying kits you are instructed to undergo a test to insure you're not allergic to the chemicals, but how would a dr know that a patient is allergic to a drug before it's too late?

I was just reading in my medicines book that any surgery that takes between 1-2 hours and the patient is given premedication such as an opiod. This is what they think happened to Michael Jackson and also Kanye West's mum. Both had undergone a succession of cosmetic surgical procedures that the opiod painkillers they had taken had destroyed their heart muscles.

It also says that occasionally an Antichonergic is given in premedication with general anesthetic in order to prevent secretions into the airways. It also says that these type of drugs do weaken the heart. However, if a back operation that take 1 hour tops an anitchonergic won't be necessay will it? I was watching a docu-soap set in a hospital and there was a boy who had to undergo an operation under general anesthetic that lasted 1 and a half hours after he had experienced a double fracture in his elbow. Now they wouldn't need to give him an antichonergic and an opiod for this type of surgery because it's not too long and neither is it very invasive.

When I mentioned this to my mum we both concluded that this nor surgery for things like a burst appendix or a cleft pallet although will require a general anesthetic but aren't major enough to weaken the heart.

Michael Jackson was taking these meds. At home. So, he could sleep. He had a well know prescription drug problem. For years. That is what killed him.

Don't know about Kayne's mom, though.

Yes, for back surgery. They put you to sleep. The DR.S do not want you to be moving around. For obvious reasons.

Than you A Stor. :hug:

I do know that surgeon's can give you a tranqualizer if they know you are nervous. I do know that you are in the best possible hands and that's why I thought that we should have more confidence in DR Tonn. When you explained to me the what Bono's surgery might have involve I didn't think that it sounded especcially major or scary. It sounds uncomplicated and fairly routine. A friend of ours had to undergo a hip replacement which surprisingly is actually quite a complicated procedure. However we never told him that in one slip he could be paralysed.

This is what I posted in PLEBA:

Someone mentioned that it's better to have this surgery at 40 rather than 50 and when I asked about why exactly I didn't get a reply but I think I found some answers when I looked through a book on medicines. Although it considers anyone over 60 to be elderly in medical terms but I consider an elderly person to be aged 75 and over.

Anyway, it says that as we get older the liver and the kidney's become less efficient at removing drugs from the body and that their are fewer receptors in the brain and other parts of the body. This just means that dosage needs to be adjusted according to age. The way the type of surgery that Bono undergone has been explained to me doesn't sound that major or invassive. It probably took just under an hour, so he wouldn't need to be given something like an antichonergic or an opiod analgesic. Does general anesthetic affect people of his age adversly?

A Stor also mentioned about weight and she also commented that Bono must have good muscle tone in order to be and moving so quickly. I've heard that there is an additional risk associated with weight because adverse affects are more likely if someone's BMI is above 25. However, when I checked out Dario Simic's BMI it claimed that he was overweight for his height. This is complete bull because even though like most footballers he's not very big, his muscles will weigh more than fat. My former science teacher said that according to the BMI chart she was overweight which if you ever met her you'd know that she was far from being overweight. She said that this chart should only be used as a rough guide.

But bono is not fat and his surgery was inevasive.

The UK government are aiming to cut emergency surgery in NHS hospitals because they claim they are 'overheating' the system and cost a lot. So unfortunetly the type of surgery that Bono has just undergone may require you to wait 4-5 months because it is not life threatening and doesn't require immediate attention. Don't blame me I don't make the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom