Back problems, medical info and sharing advise - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #46
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Have a great trip, Benji, look forward to the photos!

I awoke this morning aching from head to toe, joints, muscles, the whole 9 yards. Ibuprofen is making my stomach hurt even taking it with food. To top things off the jacuzzi right outside my apt is not heating and it won't be fixed until next week. So I'm chalking today up to one of those "not so good" days, but it too shall pass. At least there are people that understand how this goes. I'm trying to make the best of it. This thread helps. So I am taking things easy and pampering myself today. Hope everyone else is doing alright.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #47
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Have a great time Benj!
I talk to my bike friend briefly. Not so sure who is more banged up.

But will be fun. always is.

TTYFTR

Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
Have a great trip, Benji, look forward to the photos!

I awoke this morning aching from head to toe, joints, muscles, the whole 9 yards. Ibuprofen is making my stomach hurt even taking it with food. To top things off the jacuzzi right outside my apt is not heating and it won't be fixed until next week. So I'm chalking today up to one of those "not so good" days, but it too shall pass. At least there are people that understand how this goes. I'm trying to make the best of it. This thread helps. So I am taking things easy and pampering myself today. Hope everyone else is doing alright.
I'm sorry to hear this. Please see a DR. As soon as you are able. I am worried about your stomach pains. I couldn't take Ibuprofen for longer than a few weeks. It made me sick, too.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #49
Blue Crack Overdose

I hear you. I am waiting for 3 SDI checks and only have $7 right now. I will take care of this ASAP. Meanwhile I am doing the BRAT diet and eating bland. It helps a bit. Also Prilosec helps but I have no more Things have got to be looking up as our weather is supposed to begin warming up and that will help. It's always something with us older beings, isn't it?!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #50
Refugee

I tend to eat a bland diet too. Baked, broiled or boiled. It doesn't give me any indigestion. Plus, I like it.

I have the most trouble with Italian food. So, I never eat it.

It really does a number on my blood sugar. Pastas, tomato sauces and all of those heavy cheeses. Turn right into sugar for me, in a very short period of time. Within, an hour or so. I become so sleepy. From the rapid blood sugar elevation.

Even those with Pre-Type 2 Diabetes, have to be careful with their diet. Lots of fresh vegetables, including potatoes, a piece of fresh fruit, proteins from fish, eggs, and lean meats. You have to watch out for the carbs that turn too quickly into sugar. Maintaining a normal healthy weight and moderate exercise on a regular basis. Is a must. Walking and swimming are best.

So, far. I don't need to take any meds. To control my blood sugar. I am hoping to keep it that way for as long as I can. Even though, I have several risk factors for Type 2. Family history and gestational diabetes. Red flags.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #51
Blue Crack Overdose

I hear you on having to watch the blood sugars and Diabetes as that is another genetic gift I must continue to avoid. I have the same indigestion problem with the pizza or tomato sauces and I've noticed it more recently what with the whole moving process I've not been eating as I should. Now that I've got things settled and found a good local organic market I can focus on the diet and lowering the blood sugar. I always feel better eating fresh whole grains, fresh produce including lots of veggies and fruits. Yum.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #52
Refugee

Same here. Pizza, garlic, tomato sauces do a number on me. Indigestion. Fast food has the same effect. It makes me sick. I am so use to eating bland foods, lots of veggies. That if I stray from this. My stomach will notice.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #53
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
I'm sorry if I tend to go on about this but I wanted to know when does minor surgery that does not cause permenant adverse reactions turn into major surgery that weakens the heart?

When I was 6 or 7 there was a boy in my class who went to his dentist and became seriously ill after going under anesthetic. Sadly he died days afterwards. I don't want to appear prejudice in any way but I have heard that anesthetists find it harder to check breathing difficulties in black people and he was black. Isn't that ridiculous in this day in age that the colour of your skin has a huge impact regarding your safety under anesthetic?

Ever since then I've always had a fear of surgery, hospitals and general anesthetic. I always thought that general was the type of anesthetic that causes the most risks but some people have spoken about it as though it is not the most risky type. My mum told me that she once watched a TV documentary set in a hospital where a surgeon that was performing op's on a women who needed succession of surgeries where she was put under using general anesthetic. He said that every sort of operation which involves this type of anesthetic permently weakens the heart but others have told me that this is not true.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #54
Refugee

I was just reading in my medicines book that any surgery that takes between 1-2 hours and the patient is given premedication such as an opiod. This is what they think happened to Michael Jackson and also Kanye West's mum. Both had undergone a succession of cosmetic surgical procedures that the opiod painkillers they had taken had destroyed their heart muscles.

It also says that occasionally an Antichonergic is given in premedication with general anesthetic in order to prevent secretions into the airways. It also says that these type of drugs do weaken the heart. However, if a back operation that take 1 hour tops an anitchonergic won't be necessay will it? I was watching a docu-soap set in a hospital and there was a boy who had to undergo an operation under general anesthetic that lasted 1 and a half hours after he had experienced a double fracture in his elbow. Now they wouldn't need to give him an antichonergic and an opiod for this type of surgery because it's not too long and neither is it very invasive.

When I mentioned this to my mum we both concluded that this nor surgery for things like a burst appendix or a cleft pallet although will require a general anesthetic but aren't major enough to weaken the heart.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #55
Refugee

I don't know, Annie. Benj is on holiday.

But, dentist in the U.S. Normally, don't put you under. Unless, it is a long surgical procedure and the patient request it. They do a great job with numbing your mouth. So, you usually don't feel any pain. During, the procedure. I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled at one visit and was not put under. It took less than an hour, including a few stitches. No ill after effects, either. I was able to eat regular food within a four days.

With surgery, DR.s need to know all of your medical history. Tell them everything. Even if you think it is not important. Including any heart or breathing problems, high or low blood pressure, anxiety disorders, allergies to meds. seizures, stomach problems, diabetes, etc.

Several days before surgery. You must have a complete physical exam. To ensure, you are healthy enough. All of your blood work, must be normal. Unless, of course, surgery is a dyer emergency. Never be embarrassed to tell them, you are afraid. They are professionals, who completely understand and now how to make you feel relaxed. No one says, hooray! I am having surgery. Everyone is scared.

A friend of mine had knee replacement surgery. She was given an epidoril (the same given during childbirth, if requested). Anyway, she was numb from the waist down and given a light sleep. Though, she was aware of what was going on. She was very, very relaxed. She said it was some sort of gas, that you breathe. It actually, felt pleasant to her. And it didn't make her sick, afterwards. They were able to wake her, immediately. After her surgery was done.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post
I'm sorry if I tend to go on about this but I wanted to know when does minor surgery that does not cause permenant adverse reactions turn into major surgery that weakens the heart?

When I was 6 or 7 there was a boy in my class who went to his dentist and became seriously ill after going under anesthetic. Sadly he died days afterwards. I don't want to appear prejudice in any way but I have heard that anesthetists find it harder to check breathing difficulties in black people and he was black. Isn't that ridiculous in this day in age that the colour of your skin has a huge impact regarding your safety under anesthetic?

Ever since then I've always had a fear of surgery, hospitals and general anesthetic. I always thought that general was the type of anesthetic that causes the most risks but some people have spoken about it as though it is not the most risky type. My mum told me that she once watched a TV documentary set in a hospital where a surgeon that was performing op's on a women who needed succession of surgeries where she was put under using general anesthetic. He said that every sort of operation which involves this type of anesthetic permently weakens the heart but others have told me that this is not true.
That's okay. You are just asking a question. I don't think race has anything to do with reaction to medication. It would be more of an allergy. Than anything else. There is always some risk, when it comes to surgery. But, this "risk" are much less, than say. Thirty years ago.

Knee and back surgery are not as invasive. As they use to be. Better results, in a shorter amount of time. About an hour for a Discetomy. Removal of the small portion, of a herniated disc. Because, of microscopic-surgery. The incision is much smaller, too. About 3 CM. Recovery time is fairly quick, with PT of course.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #57
Refugee

On the news their was a story about a girl who had gone to have her tonsils removed and suffered a cardiac arrest under general anesthetic and Nitric oxide gas because it all interacted with the contraceptive pill she was taking. How comes they never asked her if she was taking any medication?

Also how are you supposed to know whether or not you're allergic to penicillin or anesthetic? With hair dying kits you are instructed to undergo a test to insure you're not allergic to the chemicals, but how would a dr know that a patient is allergic to a drug before it's too late?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post
I was just reading in my medicines book that any surgery that takes between 1-2 hours and the patient is given premedication such as an opiod. This is what they think happened to Michael Jackson and also Kanye West's mum. Both had undergone a succession of cosmetic surgical procedures that the opiod painkillers they had taken had destroyed their heart muscles.

It also says that occasionally an Antichonergic is given in premedication with general anesthetic in order to prevent secretions into the airways. It also says that these type of drugs do weaken the heart. However, if a back operation that take 1 hour tops an anitchonergic won't be necessay will it? I was watching a docu-soap set in a hospital and there was a boy who had to undergo an operation under general anesthetic that lasted 1 and a half hours after he had experienced a double fracture in his elbow. Now they wouldn't need to give him an antichonergic and an opiod for this type of surgery because it's not too long and neither is it very invasive.

When I mentioned this to my mum we both concluded that this nor surgery for things like a burst appendix or a cleft pallet although will require a general anesthetic but aren't major enough to weaken the heart.
Michael Jackson was taking these meds. At home. So, he could sleep. He had a well know prescription drug problem. For years. That is what killed him.

Don't know about Kayne's mom, though.

Yes, for back surgery. They put you to sleep. The DR.S do not want you to be moving around. For obvious reasons.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #59
Refugee

Than you A Stor.

I do know that surgeon's can give you a tranqualizer if they know you are nervous. I do know that you are in the best possible hands and that's why I thought that we should have more confidence in DR Tonn. When you explained to me the what Bono's surgery might have involve I didn't think that it sounded especcially major or scary. It sounds uncomplicated and fairly routine. A friend of ours had to undergo a hip replacement which surprisingly is actually quite a complicated procedure. However we never told him that in one slip he could be paralysed.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #60
Refugee

This is what I posted in PLEBA:

Quote:
Someone mentioned that it's better to have this surgery at 40 rather than 50 and when I asked about why exactly I didn't get a reply but I think I found some answers when I looked through a book on medicines. Although it considers anyone over 60 to be elderly in medical terms but I consider an elderly person to be aged 75 and over.

Anyway, it says that as we get older the liver and the kidney's become less efficient at removing drugs from the body and that their are fewer receptors in the brain and other parts of the body. This just means that dosage needs to be adjusted according to age. The way the type of surgery that Bono undergone has been explained to me doesn't sound that major or invassive. It probably took just under an hour, so he wouldn't need to be given something like an antichonergic or an opiod analgesic. Does general anesthetic affect people of his age adversly?

A Stor also mentioned about weight and she also commented that Bono must have good muscle tone in order to be and moving so quickly. I've heard that there is an additional risk associated with weight because adverse affects are more likely if someone's BMI is above 25. However, when I checked out Dario Simic's BMI it claimed that he was overweight for his height. This is complete bull because even though like most footballers he's not very big, his muscles will weigh more than fat. My former science teacher said that according to the BMI chart she was overweight which if you ever met her you'd know that she was far from being overweight. She said that this chart should only be used as a rough guide.

But bono is not fat and his surgery was inevasive.
The UK government are aiming to cut emergency surgery in NHS hospitals because they claim they are 'overheating' the system and cost a lot. So unfortunetly the type of surgery that Bono has just undergone may require you to wait 4-5 months because it is not life threatening and doesn't require immediate attention. Don't blame me I don't make the rules.