Back problems, medical info and sharing advise - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 12:29 AM
For lower back pain, water is the best thing. I can't tell why in medical terms. All I know is that it works wonders for my back.

Once a week. I go swimming in an olympic size pool. I do all of my back stretching exercises and have great flexibility. 90%! In the pool. I can bring my knees up to my chest. My upper back feels great from the swimming part! No neck problems either. It even helps my knee. I wish. I could live in that pool!

Five days per week, I walk at a moderate pace for thirty to forty minutes. Always making sure, I drink plenty of water. On Sundays, I relax.

But, water is like some sort of miracle drug. It really makes my back and leg muscles strong. Not to mention at age 53, no flabby arms, either. So, even when I have to walk up hill. I am not straining, anything.

I swear by doing exercise in a pool. It can be a three foot deep, back yard one. From the K-Mart. Same effect. For strengthening the back.

I posted this in the Bono surgery thread. I hope no one minds. I would like to share it hear.

When, I had a martial arts injury. Torn lumbar ligament, pulled muscles, bulging disc and sever compression of the Sciatic Nerve. My insurance company refused to pay for any physical therapy. Saying it would be elective. My DR. at that time. Did triple duty. Not only was he my internist, but also an ortho back specialist and PT. He even gave me free medical books. He beat my insurance company by having all of my appointments as "follow ups." He showed me exactly how to do the PT at home. Knowing, I couldn't afford thousands of dollars in medical bills. He even recommend that K-Mart pool.

At the time of my injury, it was really kind of touch and go. I was in an extreme amount of pain. Much worst than even having natural childbirth, with no meds. of any kind. Walking ten feet from my bedroom to the bathroom. I was almost, passing out. No joke. From the disc bulging through the torn ligament and into the Sciatic Nerve.

My so called insurance company. Who had no problem taking money out of my husband's paycheck each week. Would not cover surgery. Even four weeks in. I was still at level 10, with pain. Couldn't support myself without a walker or sit in a chair. I was flat on my back. My doctor felt the ligament needed to be repaired. Insurance company still refused. I would have had to pay for it. He was and still is a great DR. He saw me every two weeks. For first four months. To see how I progressed. Then, after I could sit in a chair, it was once per month. For the next four months.

He told me the red flags. Don't hesitate to call 911. My old insurance company would have had to cover it then. Or it would have been one hell of a law suit against them. Not, my DR. Of course. He did everything in his power to help me get better and would have went to court in my behalf.

My advise.....try to get good insurance. Before, you pay for anything. Read exactly what they cover and don't cover. I have much better insurance now. They cover almost everything. From nutritionist to diabetic education classes. Weight loss programs. All of my blood work, mamograms, imaging, woman's care and even surgery and PT. If I would ever need it.
__________________

__________________
A stor is offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 52,117
Local Time: 08:29 PM
I get lower back pain after a few hours at work. Does anyone know of any good stretching techniques? I don't think it is really pain, but more like tightness.
__________________

__________________
lauramullen is offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #18
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Yes, I can think of one that helps me.

Lay on a yoga mat or bed comforter on the floor. Bend your knee and slowly bring it up to your chest. Hold your knee there with your hands for about ten seconds. Then release and gently bring your leg back down to it's lying position. Repeat for other leg. I do about ten per leg, taking turns back and forth. Right, left, right, left, etc. This is a great stretching exercise for that huge lower back muscle and mild Sciatica.

When, you do back exercises. You'll want to do them slowly and very gently. Any sign of pain. Stop, right away. And don't worry if you are not too flexible at first. This will come. Never force any stretches.

Hope this helps!
__________________
A stor is offline  
Old 07-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #19
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
 
Carek1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: wishing I was somewhere else....
Posts: 114,587
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Well to update I've moved. It took all my energy and I'm exhausted in so much pain but it's done & best part of all is I can take my time unpacking and settling in. The jacuzzi is close by and it sure feels good at the end of the day. I cannot wait to get settled and start walking in the big pool and taking the water exercise classes! My stomach is giving me fits from all the ibuprofen 800 I've been taking and I've had to take muscle relaxers at night to calm the back spasms. I do love my new home tho. Good news in the mail six months after applying for SSDI I'm advised I'm accepted and approved which is a huge relief. Proof that there is power in positive thought and that good things DO come to those who wait! Now I just need to get the computer, TV, cable stereo etc all hooked up and I'm a really happy camper. Best to all who are posting and sharing in this thread. Happy 4th.
__________________
Carek1230 is offline  
Old 07-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #20
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Glad to hear it, Carek. About moving and the SSDI. I understand about the ibuprofen. I could only take it for eight weeks, before it was causing me some stomach issues. I was at the 800 mg. Dosage level. When, you see your doctor. Make sure you mention this. There may be something else you can do for pain management.
__________________
A stor is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #21
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 459
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Glad to hear it, Carek. About moving and the SSDI. I understand about the ibuprofen. I could only take it for eight weeks, before it was causing me some stomach issues. I was at the 800 mg. Dosage level. When, you see your doctor. Make sure you mention this. There may be something else you can do for pain management.

Yes, good news on the SSDI. Usually takes a long time. the good thing is you can get medicaid now, and get into see the right Drs.

A good pain magement Dr would help you greatly , can try injections, or perhaps something for the breakthrough of the pain. Lite narcotic would not hurt you, and taken as directed, you won't get hooked , contrary to popular belief. Shots help, or don't, or for a while.Worth a try.

If you are seeing someone for the RA, there are meds to relieve pain many of them are new, and God knows what the side effects vs potential relief are. they are different , for different people

Definately look in the medicaid. You will have every covered and get some relief from the pain, and everyone can get together and decide what is best.

Take the ibuprofen after you have eaten. It will help greatly with the stomach. Be carefull how much you take.

Water excercise will help.

Hang in there
__________________
Benji2112 is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #22
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
 
Carek1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: wishing I was somewhere else....
Posts: 114,587
Local Time: 04:29 PM
I this thread. All the information is so helpful and appreciated! I can't be more thrilled on the SSDI triumph. I filed the claim in January 2010 when SDI advised me to do so for long term disability. I heard they denied approximately 60% of claims filed. I kept thinking positive and kept the hopeful attitude and it worked! I am almost done moving things around my new place and getting settled and have enjoyed the jacuzzi each day this week. The knees are bothering me now but that's to be expected what with all the physical activity involved with moving. I feel I'm on the mend and will try all the recommendations suggested here. Thanks again one and all
__________________
Carek1230 is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 52,117
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Yes, I can think of one that helps me.

Lay on a yoga mat or bed comforter on the floor. Bend your knee and slowly bring it up to your chest. Hold your knee there with your hands for about ten seconds. Then release and gently bring your leg back down to it's lying position. Repeat for other leg. I do about ten per leg, taking turns back and forth. Right, left, right, left, etc. This is a great stretching exercise for that huge lower back muscle and mild Sciatica.

When, you do back exercises. You'll want to do them slowly and very gently. Any sign of pain. Stop, right away. And don't worry if you are not too flexible at first. This will come. Never force any stretches.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I'll try some of these before work.
__________________
lauramullen is offline  
Old 07-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #24
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Laura, do them after work as well. They won't hurt or strain, if done properly. The stretches should be done very slow. (Think yoga). It really does help to strengthen those loser back muscles. I do these every day. Another exercise I do is too sit cross legged on the floor. Ankles close to the thighs (Indian position). I sit with my back straight. I stretch my arms out in front of me. And I slowly bend my back and reach with my hands and touch the floor in front of me. I slowly, with my back relaxed and one vertebrae at a time. Straighten my back. This is good for the upper back and neck, too.

If you are not sure, what I am saying. It can be confusing without pics. Google back strengthening exercise. Websites will show pics of the proper techniques.
__________________
A stor is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #25
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 459
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Laura, do them after work as well. They won't hurt or strain, if done properly. The stretches should be done very slow. (Think yoga). It really does help to strengthen those loser back muscles. I do these every day. Another exercise I do is too sit cross legged on the floor. Ankles close to the thighs (Indian position). I sit with my back straight. I stretch my arms out in front of me. And I slowly bend my back and reach with my hands and touch the floor in front of me. I slowly, with my back relaxed and one vertebrae at a time. Straighten my back. This is good for the upper back and neck, too.

If you are not sure, what I am saying. It can be confusing without pics. Google back strengthening exercise. Websites will show pics of the proper techniques.
I think I can scan a brochure on the exercises you are refering to . They are good and work when done regularly. As you well know. If I can't I will link one .

The walk in water is the same theroy, and that will help too. It really is after an injury, and with age, use it or lose it type of thing.
__________________
Benji2112 is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #26
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 459
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
I this thread. All the information is so helpful and appreciated! I can't be more thrilled on the SSDI triumph. I filed the claim in January 2010 when SDI advised me to do so for long term disability. I heard they denied approximately 60% of claims filed. I kept thinking positive and kept the hopeful attitude and it worked! I am almost done moving things around my new place and getting settled and have enjoyed the jacuzzi each day this week. The knees are bothering me now but that's to be expected what with all the physical activity involved with moving. I feel I'm on the mend and will try all the recommendations suggested here. Thanks again one and all
They usually deny 100% the first time, so that is really great. Like i said before, don't hesitate to get on medicaid or something . should be approved immediately. You should follow up with a Dr or Drs to stay up on the DISH . You want to watch out for any bone growths that can pop up, and can be a bad source of pain.

Please try to stay below 4,000 mg of Tylenol a day . Someday, the media will make this epedemic problem well known. OD in the sense of too much is now the leading cause of liver failure and transplant.

Let me know if you need a cupe of Drs numbers. They will be glad to help you , gratis.
__________________
Benji2112 is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #27
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji2112 View Post
I think I can scan a brochure on the exercises you are refering to . They are good and work when done regularly. As you well know. If I can't I will link one .

The walk in water is the same theroy, and that will help too. It really is after an injury, and with age, use it or lose it type of thing.
Very, very, true.....Benj.

After all of the "bed rest" not being to move around much. Six to eight weeks. As soon, as back heal enough, to not risk re-injury. I was doing my DR.'s physical therapy. Yes, it hurt. Because, I also had muscle stiffness to deal with. But, I was persistent and did it exactly the way. I was shown. Recovery was long. But, I wasn't working at the time. Full time mom of a teenager and homemaker. So, I wasn't "rushed." My husband's pay covered our bills, living expenses, etc.

Seven to eight months. I had 90% flexibility as my Martial Arts days. With gentle stretches and/or the water therapy. Done on a daily basis. Believe me, it really does work. My injury was 13 years ago. And I still do them, along with walking, swimming, dancing the Cha-Cha, etc. I haven't had sever compression of the Sciatic Nerve, since then. I am a very active "granny" with a six year old grand daughter.

Benj, several times. Has brought up something that is the most important. There really is a time frame or window of opportunity. Healing, PT, with back surgeries. If you don't use it. You certainly will lose it.

It's not my call. But, there was no way. After eight weeks with my injury. I could have stood on stage for two hours and performed. Maybe, surgery makes a much speedier recovery. I don't know. Though, I am glad now. In my situation. I followed the course of treatment. That, I did.
__________________
A stor is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #28
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 459
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Very, very, true.....Benj.

After all of the "bed rest" not being to move around much. Six to eight weeks. As soon, as back heal enough, to not risk re-injury. I was doing my DR.'s physical therapy. Yes, it hurt. Because, I also had muscle stiffness to deal with. But, I was persistent and did it exactly the way. I was shown. Recovery was long. But, I wasn't working at the time. Full time mom of a teenager and homemaker. So, I wasn't "rushed." My husband's pay covered our bills, living expenses, etc.

Seven to eight months. I had 90% flexibility as my Martial Arts days. With gentle stretches and/or the water therapy. Done on a daily basis. Believe me, it really does work. My injury was 13 years ago. And I still do them, along with walking, swimming, dancing the Cha-Cha, etc. I haven't had sever compression of the Sciatic Nerve, since then. I am a very active "granny" with a six year old grand daughter.

Benj, several times. Has brought up something that is the most important. There really is a time frame or window of opportunity. Healing, PT, with back surgeries. If you don't use it. You certainly will lose it.

It's not my call. But, there was no way. After eight weeks with my injury. I could have stood on stage for two hours and performed. Maybe, surgery makes a much speedier recovery. I don't know. Though, I am glad now. In my situation. I followed the course of treatment. That, I did.
still think it was grafted x2 ... he has some wiggle room , as I think it was the 25th, and turin is the 6th. But the statement was one way, then he other. my best friend is a promoter, and they have a wishy washy way of saying thngs sometimes you know? They always leave a little room.
__________________
Benji2112 is offline  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #29
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Benj......I have a hypothetical question. Surgery help so many of those with back issues, especially with the lumbar disc and compression of the Sciatic Nerve.

I am not questioning your expertise, at all. I truly appreciate all that you have shared.

But, my question. One, I have pondered over for 13 years.

Would surgery have helped me to recover, faster? Of course, I don't blame anyone for my injury. It was an accident. Not looking to suing anyone, either. Since then, I have completely recovered. My JH DR. was great. Did the best he could. But, can surgery be done for a bulging, though not herniated brittle disc fragments, torn ligament, compression of Sciatic Nerve. And have better results than the long, painful Conventional Therapy?

I see subject "B" recovering so much faster. Than I was. For an injury. I think may have been similar to mine. That is the real reason for my questions.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
A stor is offline  
Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #30
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 459
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Benj......I have a hypothetical question. Surgery help so many of those with back issues, especially with the lumbar disc and compression of the Sciatic Nerve.

I am not questioning your expertise, at all. I truly appreciate all that you have shared.

But, my question. One, I have pondered over for 13 years.

Would surgery have helped me to recover, faster? Of course, I don't blame anyone for my injury. It was an accident. Not looking to suing anyone, either. Since then, I have completely recovered. My JH DR. was great. Did the best he could. But, can surgery be done for a bulging, though not herniated brittle disc fragments, torn ligament, compression of Sciatic Nerve. And have better results than the long, painful Conventional Therapy?

I see subject "B" recovering so much faster. Than I was. For an injury. I think may have been similar to mine. That is the real reason for my questions.

Thanks in advance.
Generally speaking, disks budge because of narrowing of the space between the vertabrae . Could be for many reasons, accidents, age . all people have some form of spondylosis, mild to severe as we age.

When they blow, that is one thing and another set of choices . When they bulge, PT usually can do the trick. If possible, PT is the the first choice.

In most instances PT can resolve it. Contrary to popular belief , a surgeon will try this first.

I tried it for my car accident on my neck for over 6 months,6 hours daily, but it didn't resolve. I had actually broken the c-7. So even after the surgery, I still have pain, and I can litterally feel each screw in the plates. Movement is somewhat limted, but it's minor. In my instance, it would have been worse over time. There will usually be some issues, even after the surgery, so that is taken into consideration .

So, it sounds like you did he right thing. I know the MA is a loss, but it seems you have most of your activities back. That is best case scenario I would think.

I go to the gym and I see very few people working on their spine, or back strength . Proper posture , and back/spine exercise can eliminate many problems down the road. Swiming is one of the best
__________________

__________________
Benji2112 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com