Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #46
45:33

Local Time: 06:44 AM
???

Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #47
Vocal parasite

Man, one day there's going to be an amazing biography of Mark Latham.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:44 AM
The guy's another in the long and classic line of Labor freakouts. Not many Labor people leave the fold, but when they do, it's fireworks all the way down. There are two men irredeemably ruined by losing; Latham and Hayden. You just imagine the trajectories not taken. I'm not saying Latham isn't a pretty unpleasant character, but losing that one, 2004, against Howard, that's got a lot to do with a lot of things.

If this was the 1950s, they'd have found him an ambassadorship to somewhere or other and got the press to not write about the crinkling of aluminium foil under his suit everytime he moved around in a room.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #49
Vocal parasite

There's probably a great book to be written about what losing an election you "should" have won does to a person. Australia furnishes three brilliant examples in the space of eleven years: Hewson, Beazley, Latham. Ol' mate Latho has perhaps the least reason to feel mortally aggrieved of the three, yet he has by far gone off the rails the most, and what little public support he retains comes almost exclusively from the side of politics that hated his guts in 2004. It's an interesting comparison to Hewson, who has remained fairly true to his principles and in doing so has lost support from some of his traditional base while picking up a fair chunk of respect from the centre and soft left that he never had in the nineties.

But then you've got Beazley. If any man should be a bitter, petty loose cannon right now, it's him. Who would really blame him? If you somehow lost one election you actually fucking won, and then had your chance to cruise to power stripped from you by the party in favour of a new golden boy who proved to be a walking nest of white ants, there's not a person alive who would be startled if you spent your time spouting drivel in the crank press and engaging in bizarre fights with people you feel betrayed your cause. And yet there's Beazley, still true to the labour movement, a sensible and unruffled man to the end. Does he have a bunch of voodoo dolls he stabs every morning just to keep the fury at bay?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #50

Mark Latham doesn't deserve an ounce of sympathy or forethought about what effect losing that election might have had on him. He's an absolute cunt.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:14 AM
The little I've seen of Hewson on TV suggests that he is very reasonable for a Liberal - and I found it particularly startling. Could be part of an argument for how far to the right mainstream Australian politics has drifted.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #52
Vocal parasite

Yeah, Hewson is a level-headed and thoughtful contributor to public debate. I may disagree with him on a number of points, but he actually brings a depth and rationality sorely absent from a lot of commentators who purport to represent the right.

I suspect he's becoming much like Malcolm Fraser - it's not that they have drifted from the Libs, but that the Libs have drifted from them in their attempt to co-opt the One Nation vote. And, well, the general lack of talent in that party today doesn't help. Say what you will about their personal politics, at least the likes of Hewson, Costello, Downer, etc. were vaguely competent at what they did. And you sure could reason with them more than you can reason with fuckwits like Christensen, Abetz, Brandis, Dutton, and so on.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #53

I like Hewson. Not sure about Downer, he always seemed like a prick to me. And there were people like Vanstone and Reith who were just as big names.

But your point is well made. And the fact that Turnbull, who we always assumed would stay reasonable, has completely sold out, tells you were the Libs are at.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

But then you've got Beazley. If any man should be a bitter, petty loose cannon right now, it's him. Who would really blame him? If you somehow lost one election you actually fucking won, and then had your chance to cruise to power stripped from you by the party in favour of a new golden boy who proved to be a walking nest of white ants, there's not a person alive who would be startled if you spent your time spouting drivel in the crank press and engaging in bizarre fights with people you feel betrayed your cause. And yet there's Beazley, still true to the labour movement, a sensible and unruffled man to the end. Does he have a bunch of voodoo dolls he stabs every morning just to keep the fury at bay?
Beazley, for all his failings, does strike one as a pretty decent character. And he was always - I think - of a fairly conservative end of the Labor movement. Muscular Christianity and all that. You could see him turning into another Hayden if he was a different sort of person. But he never has.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Mark Latham doesn't deserve an ounce of sympathy or forethought about what effect losing that election might have had on him. He's an absolute cunt.
Yes, well, that's a little bit like the 'we mustn't try to understand the terrorists' meme after 9/11. Sympathy has nothing to do with it. I wouldn't piss on Mark Latham if he was on fire.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have little time for John Hewson. He may well be a reasonable sort, in and of himself, and he certainly to his credit has no truck with the anti-science nonsense of climate change denialism and other such shibboleths. But the platform he was peddling in 1993 was standard Thatcherism/Reaganism. In some ways it was probably the most extreme policy platform the Liberal Party has ever taken to an election. Howard walked a lot of that stuff back in the interests of, you know, winning.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

And then of course there's poor old Arthur Calwell, who pretty much did win (except not quite, just like Beazley) in 1961, and then went on to lose two more elections before being shafted in favour of Gough Whitlam. If he was bitter, he didn't have long to stew in it, politicians were so much older in those days, it was more or less a 'till death do we part' proposition.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #58
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I like Hewson. Not sure about Downer, he always seemed like a prick to me. And there were people like Vanstone and Reith who were just as big names.

But your point is well made. And the fact that Turnbull, who we always assumed would stay reasonable, has completely sold out, tells you were the Libs are at.
Downer was a deeply flawed man, and not the finest member of his long-standing political family, but I wouldn't consider him down in the same minor league as the mess of Libs we've got now. Vanstone and Reith can get fucked eight ways from Sunday, yes.

It's insane that Turnbull is both party leader and one of its biggest donors, and yet cannot assert his influence. He's genuinely terrified the party will split. I'm not sure he realises that he should call the bluff of the ten or so ratbags on the social reactionary fringe of his party, because if they walked, most of them would lose their seats to moderate Liberal candidates at the next election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
And then of course there's poor old Arthur Calwell, who pretty much did win (except not quite, just like Beazley) in 1961, and then went on to lose two more elections before being shafted in favour of Gough Whitlam. If he was bitter, he didn't have long to stew in it, politicians were so much older in those days, it was more or less a 'till death do we part' proposition.
ALP history for the 1950s and 1960s is insane. Menzies never ever should have been in power for as long as he was.

And I forgot to quote it, but it's interesting what you say about Hewson's policy extremism. I'll pay it economically - the current party is riven with contradictions, in that they bleat about free enterprise and want to deregulate/privatise the shit out of stuff, except for the stuff where regulation or public ownership win them votes. Hewson was more ideologically pure, if you can put it that way. But in terms of rank social extremism, and of denying research if it doesn't suit a pre-determined narrative, the current party is on the fucking moon whether your point of comparison is Hewson or the left. Well, I guess if your point of comparison is the left, they're on a Martian moon.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #59

18C defeated. Looking forward to our right-wing columnists spending 99.99999999% of their time shitting their pants about this for the next three months. Stupid cunts
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
And I forgot to quote it, but it's interesting what you say about Hewson's policy extremism. I'll pay it economically - the current party is riven with contradictions, in that they bleat about free enterprise and want to deregulate/privatise the shit out of stuff, except for the stuff where regulation or public ownership win them votes. Hewson was more ideologically pure, if you can put it that way. But in terms of rank social extremism, and of denying research if it doesn't suit a pre-determined narrative, the current party is on the fucking moon whether your point of comparison is Hewson or the left. Well, I guess if your point of comparison is the left, they're on a Martian moon.

Economics was exactly what I was referring to. Hewson-as-Liberal-saviour was operating during the high water mark of hard Thatcherism/Reaganism. Hewson in 1993 was like a young Milton Friedman with hair.

We got the softish version under a longrunning kinda-sorta-Labor government, but the opposition became increasingly unhinged during those years. Hewson was their hail mary pass. I am thankful, for all his social liberalism, that he crashed and burned in 93. Also, I have some dim direct recollection of those times, and he was not immune to the same party pressures to flip the switch to reactionary from time to time.

I doubt very much whether he has moderated his preferred economic prescriptions in the decades since. But he probably has enough sense to know that 'reform' goes down like a lead balloon just at present.

Also I'd make the observation that in the modern Liberal Party, when social liberalism meets the remnant economic cargo cult, it is social liberalism, not the cargo cult, that blinks first. Exhibit a; Malcolm Turnbull (not that I think he believes, or ever believed, in anything much really. He may own a few Bill Henson photos, but I'd be surprised if he's read much).