Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That Katter vid is one of the best things to watch when you're in a cranky mood... really sweetened my day today.

Another one bites the dust: NXT Senator Skye Kakoschke-Moore is a dual citizen - she inherited British citizenship from her mother.

And somehow didn't realise until just now. Come ON people.

Oh boy and the next in line after Kakoschke-Moore, Tim Storer, is... not an NXT party member any more.

I'm still a little unclear on what exactly the point of the NXT is? I mean, apart from being the personality cult of Nick Xenophon (and has a less interesting person had their own personality cult, ever?).

The NXT member in the lower house, Rebecca Sharkie, is also probably a dual citizen - and of course there was the fuss around Xenophon himself. Stirling Griff is the only NXT member in either house who has not come under suspicion. Given Xenophon quit despite not being a dual citizen, by the new year Griff could be the only member of his party left from last year's election. Good job, NXT.

And it's funny, you say less interesting but South Australians clearly think he's the bee's knees. Looking at the current polling, he could possibly be next premier of SA. He's obviously parochial enough to prefer to be a big fish in a small pond than the other way around.

I think that Xenophon is the kind of 'post political' charlatan who pulls the wool over a lot of people's eyes, particularly people who like to think of politics as a technocratic exercise. And sure, no doubt his cheery South Australia boosterism endears him. Kind of defeats the point of a national Xenophon movement, though.

Apart from his pokies crusade, he strikes me as basically a Liberal.

Nick Xenophou back in the day was a Lib!

Today's Nick Xenophon is nobody else's man, amirite?

Let us all enjoy a chuckle at the expense of One Nation, a wonderfully poor performance. The Greens have figured out how to convert a comparatively low primary vote into seats elsewhere (and might have pulled it off in Queensland, a notoriously weak state for them—come on Maiwar). PHON have learnt nothing, and seem unable to learn. They spread their resources too widely and look like they'll be lucky to get more than one seat, or maybe not even one, hahaha.

Yes, a wonderfully poor performance despite every major outlet, including The Guardian, doing everything in their power to boost their chances. The business of One Nation appears to have done what it has done on more than one occasion now, bite the LNP hard in the ass.

The Greens have performed strongly I think, overall, but it's just not quite there yet, as far as tipping over this or that potential (Labor) seat. With possible exceptions, as the count isn't done obviously. I've been completely out of range until just this minute, so hardly across it all.

If Cory Bernadi's new movement weren't such a joke, I'd be interested in seeing an honest to God split in the federal Liberal party. Probably won't happen, but if it does, they really will be in the wilderness for a generation.

As an addendum, you hear a lot of 'just so' stories about how dreadfully backward Queensland is. And it's true that Labor here is relatively conservative, but as it stands, the Liberals/Nats/LNP have now won exactly one election since 1986. And after forgetting how much Queenslanders fucking hate privatisation and 'efficiency dividends', they promptly lost again.

There's every chance that Lawrence Springborg will be their leader again soon. The guy who was elected at the tail end of the Joh era as a 19 or 20-year-old.

As an addendum, you hear a lot of 'just so' stories about how dreadfully backward Queensland is. And it's true that Labor here is relatively conservative, but as it stands, the Liberals/Nats/LNP have now won exactly one election since 1986. And after forgetting how much Queenslanders fucking hate privatisation and 'efficiency dividends', they promptly lost again.

There's every chance that Lawrence Springborg will be their leader again soon. The guy who was elected at the tail end of the Joh era as a 19 or 20-year-old.

And Queensland was the first state to actually elect a woman premier (Bligh 2009), and now - assuming nothing weird happens - Palaszczuk will be the first woman to win consecutive elections. She was already the first to win from opposition too. No other state has actually elected a woman premier, even though all but SA have had one at some point. The others have all come in to see out the rest of a doomed term after some bloke shat the bed.

(The territories have done all of the above though.)

I will laugh heartily if Springborg somehow gets the leadership back. Or how about ol' mate Langbroek!

Yes, definitely true about the territories, they've been ahead of that curve at least.

Maybe Tim Nicholls will stay on, you never know. I mean, I don't really understand what his claim was supposed to be in the first place (being anything senior in the Newman government is pretty much the kiss of death), but ok.

actually, what the fuck am I saying... Lawrence Springborg, indeed. In fact, if Nicholls went, I wonder if it wouldn't be likely that the next opposition leader would be his quite presentable deputy (and heir to Joh's old seat by another name), Deb Frecklington.

I have to admit, I never really understood the appeal of Burke's Backyard, but I guess I'm not the target audience for lifetyle shows. And he really was the original lifestyle show, wasn't he.

'Giddday!' (oh wait, that was Peter Russell-Clarke's catchphrase)

I actually liked having the Hottest 100 on 26/01 because it meant the day had one good thing and wasn't a total dumpster fire.

I don't know, in the Brunswick bubble we think everybody hates Australia Day but the movement to change is still marginal. It's going to be the national day for a long time (which is funny given how young it is as a national day, and it's really NSW Day).

As long as 26/01 is the national holiday I prefer having the Hottest 100 on that day for the aforementioned reason. Without it, there's nothing at all to like about the day.

But I hope this helps advance the Change the Date campaign.

I get what you're saying, but it's symbolic, right? Obviously the day's not going to change for a long while but that's not a reason to just keep up the status quo for the sake of it. We've got to keep up the fight to get it changed, not shrug our shoulders and wait until it's more than "marginal".

How about we just make Anzac Day the national day? It pretty much is already, and there's nothing that says Austraya like saluting the people who serve in our masters' imperial wars, and more pointedly providing photo opportunities for the other people who send them there. I'm sorry, I mean the people who defend our freedom. Our wonderful freedom.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom