Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi #7 - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #151
45:33

Local Time: 06:23 AM
She's a weird one. On some points, I would call her a radical leftist, but then she completely contradicts that by being a dick on other issues. Centrist.

I don't think Ten's going anywhere. Someone will buy them. It's all been downhill since they stopped airing The Simpsons at 6pm though.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:03 AM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
It's all been downhill since they stopped airing The Simpsons at 6pm though.
80% of my facebook feed yesterday was Simpsons memes labouring that very point!

Old 06-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Just a housekeeping note on my relatively sparse posting this year (yeah, I know, it's on everyone's minds); there ain't a ton happening in Strayan politics, the music forum I lurk but find myself sitting on the sidelines for the most part... and I would rather be shot in the fucking face than participate in the centrist Democrat circle-jerk that FYM has turned into. Turned into, what am I saying. It's been that for years. But events have, as they say, heightened the contradictions.

Vlad, you're my proxy in FYM. I'mma let you finish.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #154
Vocal parasite

What the hell do you mean there isn't much happening in Strayan politics, Pauline Hanson just said something outrageous!

...oh, yes, I see what you mean.

But good to see you around here.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Rinse and repeat. Nothing's happening, it's just stale bathwater. We don't have our circuit breaker yet.

Ok, I'm being unfair. Something is happening insofar as the non-government is showing signs of adopting vaguely Labor-ish policies on a few matters, at the margins. So, they're following rather than leading, and that's probably better than nothing for the time being.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #156
45:33

I've got quite a few friends who have joined the ALP in the aftermath of Corbyn's win, which makes me sick because we don't have a single ALP politician even remotely as left as Corbyn.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #157
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Rinse and repeat. Nothing's happening, it's just stale bathwater. We don't have our circuit breaker yet.

Ok, I'm being unfair. Something is happening insofar as the non-government is showing signs of adopting vaguely Labor-ish policies on a few matters, at the margins. So, they're following rather than leading, and that's probably better than nothing for the time being.
Maybe we'll get our circuit breaker if Hunt, Sukkar, and Tudge get done for contempt of court! It's breathtaking watching people completely fail to understand the matter in question as well - and demented from Derryn Hinch, who as somebody who has revelled in being found guilty of contempt should know what it is. They can't grasp the difference between public criticism of the judiciary, which is permitted in a free society, and members of the executive commenting on a reserved judgement, which is contempt.

I suspect they're fucked. I hope they are. The best bit is that they're all law grads who ought to have known better!

I'm especially shitted off by the Libs going on about the "lawlessness" of Victoria under Daniel Andrews. What the fuck are they even talking about? I don't recognise this chaotic Victoria, and I'm the guy who walked around all parts of Melbourne at all hours of the night. Never felt unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I've got quite a few friends who have joined the ALP in the aftermath of Corbyn's win, which makes me sick because we don't have a single ALP politician even remotely as left as Corbyn.
I love the logic of "gee British Labour have a cool leader, so let's join a local party because it shares (most of) a name". Next thing we'll have idiots joining our Liberal Democrats because a member of the British Liberal Democrats created some cool meme.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I wonder if David Can'tbearsedspellinghisname gets mail from the British Liberal Democrats, like if he just ended up on a mailing list cause of the party name he gave himself. They have only this in common; they are equally irrelevant.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Maybe we'll get our circuit breaker if Hunt, Sukkar, and Tudge get done for contempt of court! It's breathtaking watching people completely fail to understand the matter in question as well - and demented from Derryn Hinch, who as somebody who has revelled in being found guilty of contempt should know what it is. They can't grasp the difference between public criticism of the judiciary, which is permitted in a free society, and members of the executive commenting on a reserved judgement, which is contempt.

I suspect they're fucked. I hope they are. The best bit is that they're all law grads who ought to have known better!
Between them and Brandis, you have to wonder what it is with lawyers who rise in the Liberal Party. They really seem to think they are above the law, but as corrupt as our society is in many ways, they aren't. If this was America, maybe, but here, not so much.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #160
Vocal parasite

Well, as the saying goes, only failed lawyers become politicians. Legal practice is far more lucrative than a career in politics.

Obviously some do it out of a greater conviction, but Brandis et al. do not evince one.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah, Brandis in particular comes off as probably the worst lawyer ever. Only a career in the Liberal Party could give him a status to which he has mentally grown accustomed. I suppose Peter Costello achieved genuine legal fame before entering politics, and what a waste of seventeen years that was.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Just a housekeeping note on my relatively sparse posting this year (yeah, I know, it's on everyone's minds); there ain't a ton happening in Strayan politics, the music forum I lurk but find myself sitting on the sidelines for the most part... and I would rather be shot in the fucking face than participate in the centrist Democrat circle-jerk that FYM has turned into. Turned into, what am I saying. It's been that for years. But events have, as they say, heightened the contradictions.

Vlad, you're my proxy in FYM. I'mma let you finish.
I can barely stomach it myself, but then Peef is all by himself if I don't bother checking up on it. The discourse is only marginally better than the #TheResistance #NeverTrump Hillary/Obama fan accounts on Twitter, but in many cases it may as well be the same thing. The rehabilitation of Dubya among many liberals has been breathtakingly nauseating.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:39 AM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I can barely stomach it myself, but then Peef is all by himself if I don't bother checking up on it. The discourse is only marginally better than the #TheResistance #NeverTrump Hillary/Obama fan accounts on Twitter, but in many cases it may as well be the same thing. The rehabilitation of Dubya among many liberals has been breathtakingly nauseating.

No kidding. And you know, at root, what it basically boils down to is that he projected marginally more gravitas, and, you know, isn't (publicly) grotesque the way Trump is. The thin patina of 'presidentialness', yes that's a word I just made up.

I remember the Bush era, and it was that bad, and in many ways it was a good deal scarier than what's going on right now, if you ask me. Because for about four years, bracketed by 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, the regime had nearly unquestioned obedience and deference across the spectrum. It was big news when Howard Dean pointed out the emperor's lack of clothes.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

And let's not even wade into the matter of the rehabilitation (is that even the word? He was never disgraced like he deserved) of Reagan, see for ex. last year's Democratic National Convention.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:33 AM   #165
Vocal parasite

Quote:
And let's not even wade into the matter of the rehabilitation (is that even the word? He was never disgraced like he deserved) of Reagan, see for ex. last year's Democratic National Convention.
Or see how U2 used Reagan yesterday in their World Refugee Day video intro for Beautiful Day. U2, the band who hung shit on Reagan across multiple tours in the eighties, and who prank-called his successor nightly from stage. Bono, keep shouting "from the left to the right, all are welcome here" like some sort of "acceptance" will do anything to moderate the lunacy coming from people who voted Trump. You appeaser. You moral coward.

Reagan, with his political life partner Thatcher, is the worst thing to have happened to Western liberal democracy in the last fifty years. And Bush was an unpresidential joke whose rehabilitation is farcical. Trump, well, yes he makes Bush look good by comparison, but that's like saying losing both legs is worse than losing one.

Gig pictures | Blog