Are you one of those crazy people that.... (Black Friday) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Are you one of those crazy people that.... (Black Friday)

..will be attending the Black Friday deals?
Best Buy and Wal-Mart normally have crazy deals when they open. Is it worth it?

Wal-Mart's Black Friday deals

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Wal-Mart is highlighting flat screen TVs, Blu-ray players, Xbox 360 consoles and home computers in its much-anticipated Black Friday deals this year, according to a copy of the retailer's circular obtained by CNNMoney.com.

Black Friday - the day after Thanksgiving - is one of the busiest shopping days for the nation's retailers. Black Friday is of particular interest this year because the country is experiencing a sharp slowdown in consumer spending.

Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) is not expected to officially unveil its Black Friday deals until Nov. 24. But as more Americans cut their holiday gift budgets this year, many will likely turn to discounters such as Wal-Mart in search of bargains.

According to the circular, Wal-Mart's so-called doorbuster deals offered between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. ET will include a 50-inch Samsung plasma HDTV ($798), Magnavox Blu-ray player ($128), Xbox 360 ($199) sold with free Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock game and wireless guitar, HP Pavilion desktop computer ($398) and a UniFlame gas grill ($175).

In addition, Wal-Mart's Black Friday ad shows a GE microwave for $25, children's clothing priced between $4 and $8 and a variety of toys, including a Hannah Montana doll for $10 or less.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien declined to address the leaks from the Black Friday sales circular, saying only that "we plan to share the facts directly with customers on Monday, Nov. 24th."

Still, the retailer in recent days has made no secret of its intention to aggressively court this year's budget-conscious holiday shoppers.

Last week, the retailer said it would offer more discounts on thousands of products over the next seven weeks.

Judging from other leaked Black Friday ads, additional retailers are also readying huge discounts in a bid to tempt reluctant shoppers.

Sears' leaked Black Friday circular, which appeared last month on Gottadeal.com, a Web site that markets itself as one of many "official" Black Friday deals sites, showed the retailer would offer deals on washer-dryers, a category that Sears' hasn't heavily promoted in the past.

One of Sears' standout deals for Black Friday is a Kenmore high efficiency front-load washer-dryer set for $599.99. That's as much as 50% off the price of the individual washer and dryer.

"This really is an incredible deal, and it indicates how nervous retailers are about the season," said Britt Beemer, retail analyst and chairman of America's Research Group.

There is now way I would get up that early and fight the crowds to save a few bucks.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:42 PM
I rarely venture into most stores/shopping centers/malls during the holiday season. I'm never too comfortable with crowds anyway, so crowds of pushy bargain hunters are way too much for me.

Internet shopping on the other hand....

Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I know of people who eat their Thanksgiving dinners in line outside best buy. I'll take family and a day of rest over "hot deals" any day. Not to sound like a scrooge or anything but WTF happened to being with your family on a holiday?

I'll save the rest of my anti-materialistic christmas rant for later in the season
Old 11-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:42 PM
While some deals are truly great, it's not worth the hassle of waiting hours in line with no guarantee that I get the item that I want. The majority of deals are just ok or can be found throughout the year with some searching around. The whole notion of Black Friday has really become annoying over the past few years, it seems to be only built on hype.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Those shoppers who line up the day after Thanksgiving during wee hours of the morning are insane! I don't shop at Wal Mart so I won't go there. I don't have money for holiday gifts this year so home made baked goods will have to suffice.

ETA: Zuropa, I'm with you on the anti-materialistic Christmas issue too Holidays should be about giving to the less fortunate and spending time with family & friends and doing simple things like baking, cooking, sitting around a nice fire with a nice glass of wine visiting, decorating the tree and house, great smells, egg nogg, cookies, caroling and watching classic holiday movies!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:42 AM
I have never tried it but it sounds pretty insane. One of my friends told me he got like 2 laptops last time for a total of 600 bucks or whatever. I'm tempted to try it out especially since I've been kinda thinking about getting one but... this time I don't think I can. I'm pretty sure I'm working the friday after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I should you-tube this issue, there must be some kind of footage there.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
New Yorker

Heeeeeeeeeeell no.

Been there, done that. It's a waste of time and sleep. My friends got into a car accident too because of Black Friday a few years ago. They ended up pulling an all nighter and after they shopped, my buddy fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into a ditch. (They had some injuries but are fine now. Haha)

So.. with that, I'd much prefer to sleep in and let my turkey settle into compost.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Refugee

some of us have to work Black Friday
Old 11-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:42 PM
No f'ing way. I don't care how good the deals might be, my idea of "holiday spirit" does not include people who will shove a little kid to the ground or punch a woman in the face to get at the discounted TV's or computers.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm usually done by the time that event happens.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i work in retail inside a mall as a baller sales associate, and for the third year in a row i'll be there opening the store at 5 A.M. can't wait...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I work, get this......... at Midnight on Thanksgiving...hence the name "Midnight Madness".
Old 11-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

no way.. these sales are never worth it to me.. I have done it once.. never again. Who wants to get up at the crack o' dawn to fight with other people over crap. Too stressful.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Local Time: 07:42 PM
I work at best buy.... but guess where....

CANADA no black Friday but boxing day not looking forward too(its our black Friday)!