Are you one of those crazy people that.... (Black Friday)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedRocksU2

Blue Crack Addict
..will be attending the Black Friday deals?
Best Buy and Wal-Mart normally have crazy deals when they open. Is it worth it?:huh:

Wal-Mart's Black Friday deals

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Wal-Mart is highlighting flat screen TVs, Blu-ray players, Xbox 360 consoles and home computers in its much-anticipated Black Friday deals this year, according to a copy of the retailer's circular obtained by CNNMoney.com.

Black Friday - the day after Thanksgiving - is one of the busiest shopping days for the nation's retailers. Black Friday is of particular interest this year because the country is experiencing a sharp slowdown in consumer spending.

Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) is not expected to officially unveil its Black Friday deals until Nov. 24. But as more Americans cut their holiday gift budgets this year, many will likely turn to discounters such as Wal-Mart in search of bargains.

According to the circular, Wal-Mart's so-called doorbuster deals offered between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. ET will include a 50-inch Samsung plasma HDTV ($798), Magnavox Blu-ray player ($128), Xbox 360 ($199) sold with free Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock game and wireless guitar, HP Pavilion desktop computer ($398) and a UniFlame gas grill ($175).

In addition, Wal-Mart's Black Friday ad shows a GE microwave for $25, children's clothing priced between $4 and $8 and a variety of toys, including a Hannah Montana doll for $10 or less.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien declined to address the leaks from the Black Friday sales circular, saying only that "we plan to share the facts directly with customers on Monday, Nov. 24th."

Still, the retailer in recent days has made no secret of its intention to aggressively court this year's budget-conscious holiday shoppers.

Last week, the retailer said it would offer more discounts on thousands of products over the next seven weeks.

Judging from other leaked Black Friday ads, additional retailers are also readying huge discounts in a bid to tempt reluctant shoppers.

Sears' leaked Black Friday circular, which appeared last month on Gottadeal.com, a Web site that markets itself as one of many "official" Black Friday deals sites, showed the retailer would offer deals on washer-dryers, a category that Sears' hasn't heavily promoted in the past.

One of Sears' standout deals for Black Friday is a Kenmore high efficiency front-load washer-dryer set for $599.99. That's as much as 50% off the price of the individual washer and dryer.

"This really is an incredible deal, and it indicates how nervous retailers are about the season," said Britt Beemer, retail analyst and chairman of America's Research Group.

There is now way I would get up that early and fight the crowds to save a few bucks.

I rarely venture into most stores/shopping centers/malls during the holiday season. I'm never too comfortable with crowds anyway, so crowds of pushy bargain hunters are way too much for me.

Internet shopping on the other hand.... :D

I know of people who eat their Thanksgiving dinners in line outside best buy. I'll take family and a day of rest over "hot deals" any day. Not to sound like a scrooge or anything but WTF happened to being with your family on a holiday?

I'll save the rest of my anti-materialistic christmas rant for later in the season :wink:

While some deals are truly great, it's not worth the hassle of waiting hours in line with no guarantee that I get the item that I want. The majority of deals are just ok or can be found throughout the year with some searching around. The whole notion of Black Friday has really become annoying over the past few years, it seems to be only built on hype.

Those shoppers who line up the day after Thanksgiving during wee hours of the morning are insane! I don't shop at Wal Mart so I won't go there. I don't have money for holiday gifts this year so home made baked goods will have to suffice.

ETA: Zuropa, I'm with you on the anti-materialistic Christmas issue too :up: Holidays should be about giving to the less fortunate and spending time with family & friends and doing simple things like baking, cooking, sitting around a nice fire with a nice glass of wine visiting, decorating the tree and house, great smells, egg nogg, cookies, caroling and watching classic holiday movies!

I have never tried it but it sounds pretty insane. One of my friends told me he got like 2 laptops last time for a total of 600 bucks or whatever. I'm tempted to try it out especially since I've been kinda thinking about getting one but... this time I don't think I can. I'm pretty sure I'm working the friday after Thanksgiving.

Heeeeeeeeeeell no.

Been there, done that. It's a waste of time and sleep. My friends got into a car accident too because of Black Friday a few years ago. They ended up pulling an all nighter and after they shopped, my buddy fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into a ditch. (They had some injuries but are fine now. Haha)

So.. with that, I'd much prefer to sleep in and let my turkey settle into compost. :)

No f'ing way. I don't care how good the deals might be, my idea of "holiday spirit" does not include people who will shove a little kid to the ground or punch a woman in the face to get at the discounted TV's or computers.

i work in retail inside a mall as a baller sales associate, and for the third year in a row i'll be there opening the store at 5 A.M. can't wait...

no way.. these sales are never worth it to me.. I have done it once.. never again. Who wants to get up at the crack o' dawn to fight with other people over crap. Too stressful.:mad:

I've been out of the country 7 of the last 10 Thanksgiving weekends (and will be again this year) but I did do Black Friday in 2001...I got there before doors opened but did not camp out. Got the last one of something, and I remember it was a fab price but I forgot what it was now. :D But it's gotten really mad now, I was home and not doing much of anything for Thanksgiving last year but took a pass on all that, the deals were not great or worth the hassle.

Heck, I don't even go into those places on "normal" weekends, much less Christmas shopping weekends. I do have the day off, but that = sleep for me. :hyper: My son works at Best Buy, and he has to report for duty at 4:00 a.m. on the Friday after Thanksgiving. :yikes:

i second this. too bad i have to work though so i'll miss a majority of the madness. :depressed: the latest i've ever gone shopping is noon-ish, this year i'll have to go in the evening after all the fun's done! boo. i don't even really go for the deals, i go more for the crowds.

Yeah, I am out there at midnight pretty much just screwing around. I only buy a handful of stuff to be honest. But I can't help how much fun it is, I don't know lol

No way in hell! I value my life too much to risk getting hurt for some deals.

Before one of my brother's made detective he used to have work the Black Friday crowds at Walmart. Hearing that they needed police there for crowd control was enough to make me want to stay away!

I never go shopping for the deals, but I do go downtown with some of my family members to go window shopping (and maybe pick up one or two things), so the younger ones can see the Santa Claus parade, and have a nice lunch at one of the posh restaurants there. It's always a fun time but there's no stress, as we're not intending on buying anything.

No way in hell am I shopping on Black Friday. I used to work during those times, and know what kind of mad house it can be.

I know of people who eat their Thanksgiving dinners in line outside best buy. I'll take family and a day of rest over "hot deals" any day. Not to sound like a scrooge or anything but WTF happened to being with your family on a holiday?

I second that!

Our Black Friday is Boxing Day
I feel the :| from all the other retail workers.
We spend Christmas eve busting our asses to get ready for the sales. Then on Boxing Day we get in early to finish setting up and have a busy busy busy day. It means that Christmas day is spent tired from the day before and having to go to bed early to be up at an un-holy hour. Then stupid customers have the cheek to ask ,"so, looking forward to the Christmas break?" :doh:

but if I didn't have to work I'd be there shoving old ladies and trampling small children to get that $5 HD television :hi5:

Back
Top Bottom