anyone into trains here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My brother likes them. He has them set up in the basement of his house. I think it looks really cool how he put it all together.

Yeah I like model trains, my best friend has some, and I live next to a train track and when it runs during my morning breakfast, I love the sound, it reminds me of the movie " The Outsiders" and I smile as I read my morning paper. I guess its the little things in life that can start out your day.

Oh hell yes, this is my kind of thread. If it runs on rails, I'm there with my camera. Or in some cases, my notepad, given that my History Honours thesis is on the role of infrastructure in the development of the New Zealand state, 1870-1908.

My primary interests are:
1. The railway network of New Zealand, most particularly from the early 1920s (when the distinctive Midland Red paint scheme was introduced) to 1993 (when the ill-fated privatisation of the network took place). I am especially interested in the rural branch lines of the South Island that were largely closed in the 1950s-60s.
2. Tram networks, especially those of New Zealand and Australia. I live in Melbourne, the only city in either country to still have a large-scale network intact (and depending on which source you look at, it's somewhere between the largest and third largest tram network in the world).

Due to living in Victoria and Queensland as well as New Zealand, I've developed more than just a passing interest in their networks too. The very attractive blue and gold livery of the Victorian Railways remains my favourite from any railway in the world.

Let's get some photography happening in here. For the record, the image in my avatar is of R 28, a single Fairlie tank locomotive of the New Zealand Railways that took half a dive off Lyttelton wharf in 1907. Ironically, it is also the only R class locomotive to have been preserved - and reputedly it is the only original single Fairlie left anywhere in the world (although the Ffestiniog Railway in Wales is famous for its Fairlies, its sole single Fairlie is a replica constructed in 1999). Anyway, the full picture of the accident:

Lyttelton_accident_of_R_28.JPG

Now, if I may, some of my own photography. I do apologise for inferior picture quality; I did not possess my DSLR until January this year.

Two preserved trams at the Wellington Tramway Museum, 7 July 2007. In the foreground is double saloon #159 from 1925; to its right in the background is Fiducia #239 from 1939. The Fiducias are my favourite type of tram ever and I just wish I had better photos of them.
s640x480

DX 5074 and DX 5016 charge into Paekakariki with a northbound freight out of Wellington on 7 July 2007.
s640x480

Here's a bit of a tram parade on the LaTrobe Street bridge in Melbourne. In order: D2 5003, a C1 (I can't quite make out its number right now and forgot to record it), SW5 728 (the oldest operational tram in regular service in Melbourne, dating from 1939), and W7 1012.
s640x480

s640x480

s640x480

s640x480

Besides the W class trams, my favourite Melbourne trams are the Z3s. Here are four - Z3 126 at Haymarket Junction, Z3s 190 and 192 cross at Union Square in Brunswick West, and Z3 209 with its distinctive white bumper (since repainted black) on Abbotsford Street in North Melbourne.
s640x480

s640x480

s640x480

S 311, and in the background T 386, at the Creek Sidings in North Melbourne.
s640x480

R 761 backs out of Albury station on 14 June 2008. It had hauled the last broad gauge (5'3") steam train from Melbourne to Albury and was reversing to Wodonga to turn on the turntable there. The line it used is now being converted to standard gauge (4'8.5").
s640x480

And not to go too overboard, but I wanted to include these in the above post. Alas, there is a limit of 12 images per post. So here we go. And oh, there's a lot more where this came from - just see the link in my signature!

A Sprinter railcar charges northbound through Moonee Ponds with a service from Melbourne to Seymour.
s640x480

One of my favourite pictures - a Comeng electric multiple unit leaving Prahran for central Melbourne.
s640x480

Finally, some DSLR action! A couple of shots at Moonee Ponds of T 356 (front) and S 313 hauling an excursion from Melbourne to Tocumwal.
s640x480

s640x480

My dad used to be a big Lionel collector when I was young. He's not all that much into it now, but still has a number of his favorites.

Golden Spike National Monument is just 20 or 30 minutes outside of my home town.

Golden Spike National Monument is just 20 or 30 minutes outside of my home town.

Which is a very bitchin' place. The monument that is, not Mof's lair.

I got to drive a small loco once. It was up at the Feather River Rail Museum. For some amount of dollars (I don't remember how many) you got to drive their switching locomotive around a horseshoe-shaped track. The guy said I was very very good at it. :wink: It was slowing slightly, so I pretended I had to get the medicine through the storm.

I should go get the pic and scan it, just to show everyone how cool I was.

When I was into model trains, I preferred N scale.

As a kid I used to be crazy about trains! On long train journeys from New Delhi to Madras I used to sit with a few sheets of paper and a pencil and draw everything in sight. Freight train cars (or goods train bogies as they're referred to in India) were especially a favourite of mine to draw. The one thing that I couldn't get enough of was sticking my head out against the bars of the window and watching the train bend.
indian-rail.jpg
284513387_4e32491def.jpg

Also, watching tracks multiply into several others as we approached stations, was up there too. lol. I think we still have this huge hard bound book on trains of the world that my parents got for me years back. I'll leave you with this big ass picture of a nice bendy Indian train:

india_train_big.jpg

I just saw a great Indie film called " The station agent" with Peter........I forget his last name, he's a little person ( I think thats the PC) anyways, its all about train chasing and he lives in a train station. Its pretty good if you like Indie films.

Hey, cool stuff Zoots! :up:

As for the discussion on model trains, I model in HO scale and have a motley assortment of stuff. I haven't really gone ahead with making an actual layout due to lack of money and space - and honestly, lack of modelmaking talent too. I'm the person you want to design a layout and devise realistic operations scenarios, but I'm legally blind and it's probably not a good idea to have me attempting to make the scenery. :laugh:

The other hurdle I have is that I want to model New Zealand. Kiwi models are 1. scarce and 2. expensive. I've bought a few overseas models that are similar in design to New Zealand trains that one day I - or somebody with skill in this department - can repaint and tweak to resemble their Kiwi counterparts.

I've also been considering switching from HO scale to NZ120, a niche scale devised by some Kiwi modellers that uses TT scale tracks on N scale track to more realistically simulate New Zealand's 3'6" narrow gauge. (I've also been thinking of trying to find a way to model Wellington's 4' gauge electric tramway to scale.)

More pictures!

A C class double-deck electric multiple unit from when I was in Sydney in April 2008.
s640x480

Back in Melbourne, last year tram SW6 957 was painted up to commemorate 100 years of women's suffrage in Victoria.
s640x480

Bit of a parade of trams - mainly Z3 class trams - on Swanston Street outside Melbourne University.
s640x480

W6 992 swings from Spencer Street onto LaTrobe Street.
s640x480

From June 2008, a couple of images of a VLocity diesel multiple unit on a test run to ascertain the suitability of the previously disused Arden Street sidings in North Melbourne for storing trains between peaks.
s640x480

s640x480

A Comeng electric multiple unit running from Melbourne to Upfield enters the southern Royal Park cutting.
s640x480

And another Comeng heading the other way through the cutting.
s640x480

One of the Y class shunters, Y 156, sitting on the northern side of Spencer Street Station.
s640x480

And here's Y 156 repositioning the evidently defective N 461, with an array of other locomotives and rolling stock in the sidings.
s640x480

Love the railway yard pic and the yellow green tram, Ax. Also, I have to say that purple and green go splendidly well. Wimbledon colours. :)

Back
Top Bottom