Anyone here do Volunteer Work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
ya know, could be from dog-walking, to soup kitchens for the homeless.

wanna share if you do, what you do?

:)

Im going to look at doing some.

(oh for fuk sake thats twice Ive made a boob! :doh: So sorry and thank you to admin for moving to correct place! :up:.)

Yes, I do alot of volunteering at my sons school and run a few functions. My husband also coaches little league on 2 teams.

I also spread the word about product red and poverty whenever I can.

I'm a board member with the African Well Fund. I write stories for our news section and press releases for general dispersal. I helped put together our educational kit and mail that out to teachers and groups around the country. I also send out donation requests for our auction and work tables at different events.

I used to walk/run/train dogs for the local humane society. I stopped because now with my job I don't feel I spend enough time with my own dogs. Also the shelter had some disease outbreaks and I didn't want to expose the dogs I train with at our club or Nikon (who at the time was just 8 weeks old). Sometimes I also foster cats (though it's only happened once b/c all the others I offered to foster found homes last minute) and Phil and I take German Shepherds from a local animal control shelter and move them to a rescue or foster home.

Every once in a while someone gives me an old computer. I fix it up and donate it to a tutoring program or any non-profit.

I also re-designed a web site for a local non-profit that supports heart patients. I've offered to help the non-profit that my mom works for by fixing their web site.

I really don't currently...:reject:...but I have in the past. I volunteered at a day camp for special needs kids one summer, and I also had a little sister in Big Brothers, Big Sisters. She is old enough now that she is out of the program, and we both moved away from the city we were in, but we still call and write. She is turning 19 next month. :ohmy: Not so little anymore! :lol: :heart: She is such a sweetheart.

In the past I've done volunteer work for the Special Olympics as well as read to kids at hospitals. I'm looking to resume reading to kids here in a local Chicago children's hospital, and I continue to donate to the special Olympics even if I'm unable to do much volunteer work for them anymore.

I volunteer at the local Humane Society--I'm getting ready to go there now actually! I do it through a program run by my friend's mom who's a veterinarian. We get special permission to work with puppies and even clicker-train the dogs. It's so much fun :heart:

i volunteer for the special olympics :) standing in the snow for hours on end is worth it when you see how happy the athletes are when you cheer for them :cute:
it's also great to volunteer because you can forget how truly nice people can be :)

i'm also in my school's key club, which includes thanksgiving dinner for seniors, haunted house for the town, valentine's day card for teachers etc.....and i'm a member of my school's national honor society, which has a 20 hour volunteer requirement just to apply, and then 30 hours to do during your senior year.

^I would love to do the special olympics. Do you have any information you pass along?

well i volunteer for the winter ones, and they just had the world olympics recently, so they won't be starting that up again for for quite awhile. and unfortunately, i don't have any info about the summer ones, because i've never worked those :reject: i just checked their website http://www.specialolympics.org/volunteers.aspx, if you wanted to give that a try?? :)

i've volunteered for other organizations in the past, and they don't treat volunteers as well as they do at the special olympics, so i would definitely recommend it to anyone!! :up: :up:

I volunteered at the Humane Society when I lived back east and I've supervised massage therapy student clinics/outreach events, but haven't gotten into anything here in Calgary. I'm currently looking for something nearby. I don't know what yet.......... :hmm:

As anyone who has met me can attest, I'm pretty passionate about getting to stuff my face on a regular basis. I feel most people should have access to food and a decent diet regardless of income so I volunteer a lot at the local food bank. It's also worth checking if your employer will give a grant in your name depending on the amount of hours of your own free time you donate, or if they will let you have time off for some extra event your agency is putting on. My job has both policies, although exclusive of each other, and I've taken advantage of both.

I'm not comfortable in a client facing role there so I work in the warehouse, and put in many hours after work and on weekends. It also assauges my guilt at the debauchery that follows for the rest of the weekend, which is an added bonus.

ironic that i dropped into the blue place to make a food related help thread....

With our kids we do volunteer work several times a year at a local homeless shelter and various local nursing homes. (If you have kids or pets, or better yet both, volunteering at a nursing home can be a wonderfully rewarding thing to do--so many elderly people are terribly, terribly lonely and bored, and most of them especially love socializing with children and friendly animals; it's such a good feeling to watch their faces light up and see them coming out of their shell a little to interact.) Usually every other summer we also volunteer at a nearby camp for kids with cancer. Occasionally we help out with field trips or parties at our kids' school. I'm also on the board of a local environmental group on a volunteer basis; we do everything from 'ecological footprint' surveys to trash gathering to organizing political campaigns on local environmental issues. Once a year I volunteer with our regional USO, usually putting together Christmas 'care packages' for troops stationed overseas. And when I'm abroad for long periods of time (usually in India) I always spend at least a couple weekends doing volunteer work there, usually at a homeless shelter of some sort.

Last edited:
I used to do a lot of volunteer work, all the years my son was busy with sports and activities I was a room mom, team mom, coach, working in the school office or on the board of directors of the little leage or hockey club, Boosters Club. I donate to a lot of organizations and give donations to various organizations in names of family in lieu of Xmas or Birthday gifts which is something my sister started us doing in our family (AWF, ONE, Livestrong, Meals on Wheels, American Heart Assoc, Breast Cancer awareness, Humane Society, Feed the Children just to name a few). I read to young children at the County Children's Center thru my last employer and helped out at the tent our company sponsored at the local annual fair held to help the homeless and American Veterans. Since I've been unemployed it's been difficult to focus on much else but finding work and now taking classes to make a career shift, but I plan to get back into volunteering. I regularly hand spare change or a spare dollar to homeless, buy Girl Scout Cookies every year, and I donate clothing and household items to Disabled American Veterans, Goodwill or a local women's shelter.

There's nothing quite like helping someone who really needs it to make the world a better place, as well as to make your heart sing.

I volunteer at my aunt's church's food bank, do homeless outreaches at least one Friday night per month, and have been putting in more time at my local animal shelter than I have in quite a few years. I'm also raising money starting next month for my 5k run in May, for the Komen Center for fighting breast cancer and raising breast cancer awareness.

I love every minute of it.

ya know, could be from dog-walking, to soup kitchens for the homeless.

wanna share if you do, what you do?

:)

Im going to look at doing some.

(oh for fuk sake thats twice Ive made a boob! :doh: So sorry and thank you to admin for moving to correct place! :up:.)

I did volunteer work before I moved away. I was a 'befriender' and took my befriendee out once a week to do something like shopping or for a trip to the cinema. If you want any more info I could give you the e-mail address of the woman who organises it. It was with an org. in the city centre.

I haven't done a thing in the last year (terrible) but I used to do a ton of it. I'll likely go back to doing some pro bono files this summer.

:wink:Good for You!:applaud:Join the Vol. Crowd!! I usually vol. at our church's food bank, twice and month. Have helped in last years' 'Feed the Children' in my city. And countless feeding/hot meal lines. Vol. work always gives one a heart-lift..I am so proud of you all that vol.!!:up::hug:Good Job!

I've done work for the YMCA, Red Cross, Special Olympics, Women's Center/crisis line and as a hospital volunteer (obstetrics :cute:)

Now I'm volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and I love it. They don't think twice before putting a saw in my hands and letting me cut into the side of a house :heart: It's a pretty great organization. The last house build I was on, I'd worked all day side by side with a woman before I realized it was going to be her family's house that we were retrofitting. It was a pretty satisfying way to spend a saturday.

Working tomorrow at their store actually.

not sure if this counts, but i did phone banking for the local democratic candidate in a special election for congress in my district today....my congresswoman was appointed to the senate to succeed hillary, and i was one of her interns, so now that's she's down in dc, i'm doing some work for her successor :D

When I was in grad school working on my MPH, my roommate and I volunteered for an HIV/AIDS outreach program in West Africa. This program was sponsored by the World Health Organization. We administered testing for those who believed they were exposed to HIV, held Q&A sessions to debunk the myths of HIV, and worked on various community health/HIV prevention projects.

We returned to the US a semester before graduating. My ex roomie is currently in medical school in Texas. She's going to Uganda and Kenya to work with Doctors Without Borders (I think she'e going in August). I'm currently a Clinical Nutritionist, and volunteer 3x a week at a community based HIV/AIDS program in TN. I mostly talk with the clients about managing their nutrition and diet to reduce ER visits, and how to preserve their already weakened immune systems. I also hold a special class for patients who are experiencing acute diarrhea and vomiting caused by the anti-viral drugs or HIV-related illnesses. They often need IV nutritional therapy due to their inability to digest/absorb solid foods.

Some people think what I do is emotionally draining, but I feel good knowing that I'm partly responsible for extending or improving the quality of life for an HIV+ person. I'll admit it gets difficult, especially when there are children involved, but their hugs and smiles let me know I'm doing the right thing.

I sponsor a child who lives in Thailand. I also donate time and money to a few local charities who help families that are going through difficult times financially/emotionally/etc. Every year I raise money for cancer research by running the Relay for Life. Last summer I went to South Africa for a few weeks to do volunteer work with my church in a few communities (planting gardens, work around the house, spending time in AIDS hospitals, etc.). I try to do as much as my time and finances allow.

Kelly & I have volunteered on several "WARM" (Wilmington Area Rebuilding Mission) projects for low-income/physically impaired residents in our city. Their focus is on assisting approved applicants living in substandard housing. By upgrading their homes, it's hoped that we can alleviate some of their problems and create a safe and healthy environment for them. The work is completed by faith based organizations, non-profit agencies, government units, civic groups and local businesses.

We've also gone on a combined total of five (six, as of next week) mission trips, both in & out of the States, working on anything from Katrina-damaged homes in Biloxi, MS to flood-damaged homes in Cedar Rapids, IA to ambitous build-on-site projects at a youth/community outreach facility in Antigua. That's where we'll both be next week, building a low ropes challenge course. This will be Kelly's third time at the faciliy & he can't wait for me to experience the island like he has.

I also want to get involved with the local Literacy Council - that's a matter near & dear to me, so it would be easy for me to be passionate about it. I just need to take the next step & call for additional details on what classes I need to become a certified tutor.

I have to say that volunteering is definately a thousand times worth whatever you may put into it. In my experience, no matter how much you try to 'give' to your focus group, you always return home feeling that YOU received more than they did. It's very addictive... in a good way. ;)

Back
Top Bottom