Anyone here do Volunteer Work? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:43 PM
I volunteer at my aunt's church's food bank, do homeless outreaches at least one Friday night per month, and have been putting in more time at my local animal shelter than I have in quite a few years. I'm also raising money starting next month for my 5k run in May, for the Komen Center for fighting breast cancer and raising breast cancer awareness.

I love every minute of it.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Yes, I do some volunteer work at a hospital and also, at my church.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In Larry Land...Mr. Mullen has dragged me over to the dark side. Who knew this place was made of hardwood floors :P
Local Time: 05:43 PM
I sponsor a child in the Congo through World Vision and I volunteer with a local World Vision group in my town
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenCaNaDiAn View Post
I sponsor a child in the Congo through World Vision and I volunteer with a local World Vision group in my town
God bless you!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
ya know, could be from dog-walking, to soup kitchens for the homeless.

wanna share if you do, what you do?

Im going to look at doing some.

(oh for fuk sake thats twice Ive made a boob! So sorry and thank you to admin for moving to correct place! .)
I did volunteer work before I moved away. I was a 'befriender' and took my befriendee out once a week to do something like shopping or for a trip to the cinema. If you want any more info I could give you the e-mail address of the woman who organises it. It was with an org. in the city centre.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 PM
No, but I should.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't done a thing in the last year (terrible) but I used to do a ton of it. I'll likely go back to doing some pro bono files this summer.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #23
Refugee

Good for You!Join the Vol. Crowd!! I usually vol. at our church's food bank, twice and month. Have helped in last years' 'Feed the Children' in my city. And countless feeding/hot meal lines. Vol. work always gives one a heart-lift..I am so proud of you all that vol.!!Good Job!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:26 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I've done work for the YMCA, Red Cross, Special Olympics, Women's Center/crisis line and as a hospital volunteer (obstetrics )

Now I'm volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and I love it. They don't think twice before putting a saw in my hands and letting me cut into the side of a house It's a pretty great organization. The last house build I was on, I'd worked all day side by side with a woman before I realized it was going to be her family's house that we were retrofitting. It was a pretty satisfying way to spend a saturday.

Working tomorrow at their store actually.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #25
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Interference.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

not sure if this counts, but i did phone banking for the local democratic candidate in a special election for congress in my district today....my congresswoman was appointed to the senate to succeed hillary, and i was one of her interns, so now that's she's down in dc, i'm doing some work for her successor
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #27
The Fly

When I was in grad school working on my MPH, my roommate and I volunteered for an HIV/AIDS outreach program in West Africa. This program was sponsored by the World Health Organization. We administered testing for those who believed they were exposed to HIV, held Q&A sessions to debunk the myths of HIV, and worked on various community health/HIV prevention projects.

We returned to the US a semester before graduating. My ex roomie is currently in medical school in Texas. She's going to Uganda and Kenya to work with Doctors Without Borders (I think she'e going in August). I'm currently a Clinical Nutritionist, and volunteer 3x a week at a community based HIV/AIDS program in TN. I mostly talk with the clients about managing their nutrition and diet to reduce ER visits, and how to preserve their already weakened immune systems. I also hold a special class for patients who are experiencing acute diarrhea and vomiting caused by the anti-viral drugs or HIV-related illnesses. They often need IV nutritional therapy due to their inability to digest/absorb solid foods.

Some people think what I do is emotionally draining, but I feel good knowing that I'm partly responsible for extending or improving the quality of life for an HIV+ person. I'll admit it gets difficult, especially when there are children involved, but their hugs and smiles let me know I'm doing the right thing.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

I sponsor a child who lives in Thailand. I also donate time and money to a few local charities who help families that are going through difficult times financially/emotionally/etc. Every year I raise money for cancer research by running the Relay for Life. Last summer I went to South Africa for a few weeks to do volunteer work with my church in a few communities (planting gardens, work around the house, spending time in AIDS hospitals, etc.). I try to do as much as my time and finances allow.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Kelly & I have volunteered on several "WARM" (Wilmington Area Rebuilding Mission) projects for low-income/physically impaired residents in our city. Their focus is on assisting approved applicants living in substandard housing. By upgrading their homes, it's hoped that we can alleviate some of their problems and create a safe and healthy environment for them. The work is completed by faith based organizations, non-profit agencies, government units, civic groups and local businesses.

We've also gone on a combined total of five (six, as of next week) mission trips, both in & out of the States, working on anything from Katrina-damaged homes in Biloxi, MS to flood-damaged homes in Cedar Rapids, IA to ambitous build-on-site projects at a youth/community outreach facility in Antigua. That's where we'll both be next week, building a low ropes challenge course. This will be Kelly's third time at the faciliy & he can't wait for me to experience the island like he has.

I also want to get involved with the local Literacy Council - that's a matter near & dear to me, so it would be easy for me to be passionate about it. I just need to take the next step & call for additional details on what classes I need to become a certified tutor.

I have to say that volunteering is definately a thousand times worth whatever you may put into it. In my experience, no matter how much you try to 'give' to your focus group, you always return home feeling that YOU received more than they did. It's very addictive... in a good way.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I did at a hospital cafeteria.

It was very depressing

Tags
volunteer work, volunteering, volunteers