Any Wine Snobs Here? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
My blog is about Australian wine, and mostly wine from the Hunter Valley and Canberra District. I will add wines from other areas as I explore them, but wanted to know more about American wine in general.
Have you made much of a foray across the Tasman yet? I presume you are familiar with Central Otago pinot noir (which is divine) and Marlborough sauvignon blanc (which, despite its quality, is so ubiquitous that I'm often sick of it). But the Martinborough region seems poorly known/stocked here, yet practically anything from there is quality - it's hard to go wrong with anything from Ata Rangi, for instance. Though that'll generally cost you. Palliser Estate makes some very good cheaper stuff.

And if you've only tried gewurztraminer from Australia, you're in for a treat with the Kiwi stuff.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Have you made much of a foray across the Tasman yet? I presume you are familiar with Central Otago pinot noir (which is divine) and Marlborough sauvignon blanc (which, despite its quality, is so ubiquitous that I'm often sick of it). But the Martinborough region seems poorly known/stocked here, yet practically anything from there is quality - it's hard to go wrong with anything from Ata Rangi, for instance. Though that'll generally cost you. Palliser Estate makes some very good cheaper stuff.

And if you've only tried gewurztraminer from Australia, you're in for a treat with the Kiwi stuff.
Not a huge Gewurtz fan. This comes from an experience almost completely in bastardised Autralian Gewurtz. Have had the Stonecroft Hawkes Bay 2008 gewurtz, and was really impressed. This was at a degustation at the Press Club in melbourne, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was matched with.

I'm not a Savvy fan at all. Either way too fruity, and lacking in any real complexity, or it is so dry and 'green' that it masks the fruit.

In terms of whites, being a Hunter boy, it is hard for me to go past straight varietal (unoaked!) Semillon. The aged complexity that you get with lovedale and Vat 1 is unparralelled. Young Sem is also wonderful, so acidic, intensely lemon flavoured, and in good examples, has a wonderful minerality on the back palate. Thomas Wines Braemore Semillon is a real treat.

I am also loving the Canberra Region for Riesling though. If you can get your hands on Nick O'Leary's 2011 Riesling, or the Brindabella Hills 2011 (both around 20 bucks) you are in for a real treat. The intensity of fruit is fantastic, proper green apple tang, ad a nice long dry finish.

Ata Rangi make a demon of a Pinot. There is a Dan Murphy's about 5 minutes walk from my house that has a fair selection of Martinborough wines though.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Oooh. I like lemony things. Can you recommend a good Semillon?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Anything by Tyrrell's, Brokenwood, Thomas Wines, Audrey Wilkinson, Mount Pleasant, Meerea Park. Just about anything that says Hunter Valley will be good.

If you want Lemony, make sure it is 2010 or 2011.

When they get to 5 to 25 years old they start to develop the aged characteristics of honey and buttered toast.

If you want to try these out, then look for years 1996, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006 as the best vintages still drinkable.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:40 PM
Just popping in to say that every time I see a new post in this thread, I keep reading the title as "Amy Winehouse Snobs Here"
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't know why I'm in this thread; possibly because I'm both fascinated and baffled by the whole wine culture thing. I've had it twice and both times it tasted like a mixture of yeast and Listerine. But whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
I don't know why I'm in this thread; possibly because I'm both fascinated and baffled by the whole wine culture thing. I've had it twice and both times it tasted like a mixture of yeast and Listerine. But whatever floats your boat.
Saying 'I've had wine twice and it was shit' is like saying, I ate meat once and I didn't like it. Was it pork, beef, chicken, fish, venison, kangaroo, camel, yadda yadda. How was it cooked?

It really depends on what you were drinking, what variety, what quality. There are literally 100's of variables.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Nice blog, Dan. I see you like tempranillo, have you had one from Samuels Gorge in McLaren Vale? They make quite a nice one. I try to go down there a few times every year.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Cheers! I haven't, but I will check it out. My favourite is one you can only get mail order, or in boutique shops in King Valley - Piano Piano. The guy who makes it is the head winemaker at Rutherglen Estates, but it is his own label. Well worth it if you can get your hands on it.

Also, if you ever see it the Mount Majura Tempranillo Shiraz Graciano is pretty awesome.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:40 PM
I've never had a bad Malbec.

I loved these as well:

Ripe dark fruits on the nose with vanilla oak and a tad of sweet basil. Intensely flavoured with lots of blue berries and some leather, turning into vanilla filled oak finish. This medium-full bodied red was very velvet and ripe.

Cherry goodness pinot noir.

Delicious floral/fruity white wine from Canada. Underrated for such a cheap price.

If you're not on there yet I would check out:

http://www.cellartracker.com/intro.asp
Thousands of tasting notes. After you buy some wine it's a good way to check out what people thought of the wine before you open it or research before entering a store.

Wine Library TV: Gary Vaynerchuk's daily wine video blog
dailygrape.com
This guy is also has hundreds of reviews.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I've heard conflicting things, has anyone ever tried Two-Buck Chuck?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 02:40 PM
I have. It's decent.

Big second on the La Crema Pinot. Delicious.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #28
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
my wife and I will be visiting soon.
where all are you guys going?

oh my god i can't believe i just posted in a wine thread
Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I've never had a bad Malbec.

I loved these as well:

Ripe dark fruits on the nose with vanilla oak and a tad of sweet basil. Intensely flavoured with lots of blue berries and some leather, turning into vanilla filled oak finish. This medium-full bodied red was very velvet and ripe.

the Douro, oh i really want to go there, hopefully sometime soon!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Third on the La Crema, actually everything I've had from that winery was good.