Any runners in here??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acrobat_Al

Acrobat
Hello

I've become an amateur runner, I just ran my first 15 k race two weeks ago (1 hr 31 minutes) and I'm heading for my first half marathon on sept 2nd, I'm trainning about 22 k per week, any advice from advanced runners??

I wouldn't consider myself an advanced runner, but I've completed two marathons and a handful of half marathons. I'm signed up to do another half in October. Congrats on finishing your 15k race.

It sounds like you need to start ramping up your weekly mileage if you're going to do a half. Hal Higdon has some great beginner and intermediate training schedules.

Hal Higdon Training Programs

I've been out of commission for the last 15 months or so dealing with a form of plantar fasciitis. Oof. I've been able to run sporadically, but I still get antsy during stretches of great sunny weather since sustained daily running's too much.

I did a lot of distance training in high school and college, but that was mostly working against type as I was pretty good at the 400 and 800 meter track races. The last two years of high school I was doing daily distance running after school and then biweekly soccer practice immediately after. And now I am definitely not in that good shape, hah.

I have never run a 5 k race, I'm thinking seriously to do it, but I'm afraid of being slow, since I'm trainning for longer distances, what's your current 5 k time??

I ran my first races last summer, a 5k and a 4mi run. I went from being really freaking slow and out of shape into quite a quick runner at short-medium distances.

I did the 5k @ 6:53/mi and the 4mi @ 7:15/mi. My personal bests are 5:50 on 1 mile and 7:35/mi on 5 miles.

I haven't done a lot of running since though. Got sick and ruined my whole routine. Still got a little umph in me though, been meaning to pick it back up. Routine is the most important part, I guess.

Never really ran any long races, but I kinda want to go after a 10 miler or something and shoot for ~8:00/mi. The hardest part is patience. I have none.

I used to run 6 miles a day, 5 to 6 days a week. Hurt my back, and it pretty much made it so I was terrified to do any exercise for 2 or 3 years. Got back into lifting weights, eventually worked in the "easy" cardio machines (elliptical, stationary bike), but never has as good of cardio results as I did from running. Have ran off and on infrequently the last few years mixed in with other workouts, but finally have started going 4 to 5 times a week the last few months. It feels good to be at it again, but it's annoying how much slower I am than I once was, and how much less endurance I have. It's slowly building back up though.

Yay and stuff.

Awesome to see so many others of you who are runners! :up:

I started running in 2008, and have been hooked ever since. I generally do 4-5 10k races a year. I'm sloooowly amping up my training, as my family and I are planning to do the Honolulu Marathon together in 2014. That gives us loads of time to train at a steady pace and hopefully be ready. I'm nerdily excited about running that one! :D

I've found that my times are better when I run 10 minutes then walk for 1 minute, and repeat that for the entire distance. My body just refuses to cooperate when I run the full distance without slowing down for a little bit. It's all about finding the system that works best for you, and going at your own pace. I'm super competitive, so it was tough for me to let go of that when I train with a group, as I tend to be slower than everyone else. But I'm doing my best and that's all that matters. :)

Keep up the great work, everyone! :up:

I get wicked bad shin splints, and I've always been slow, never been able to run more them 2-3 miles either. I can't even imagine what kinds of horrible death my lungs would hack up now if I tried to run at all. I'd give it a shot (even with the whole smoking a pack a day) again though, if it wasn't for the shins. Is there even anything I can do about that? Even with great comfy shoes, on non-paved surfaces, they fucking kill.

I get wicked bad shin splints, and I've always been slow, never been able to run more them 2-3 miles either. I can't even imagine what kinds of horrible death my lungs would hack up now if I tried to run at all. I'd give it a shot (even with the whole smoking a pack a day) again though, if it wasn't for the shins. Is there even anything I can do about that? Even with great comfy shoes, on non-paved surfaces, they fucking kill.

1. Running posture: Are you a heel striker? If so, you should look into ChiRunning, because you are probably causing too much stress on your muscle.

2. Kinesiotape: Don't do this on your own, find a chiropractor, athletic trainer, or physical therapist who can show you how to properly apply this to yourself.

3. Strength training: Have you tried any lower leg strengthening exercises on the off days when you're not running?

4. Stretching: Be sure you are stretching after every exercise.

:nerd:

unico said:
3. Strength training: Have you tried any lower leg strengthening exercises on the off days when you're not running?

4. Stretching: Be sure you are stretching after every exercise.

:nerd:

Yep, these are my two problems. I try to run 3 miles 4 or so times a week, but I don't do any strength training and stretch pretty half-assed. Pulled a muscle last spring that put me out of commission for a couple of months- you'd think I'd learn a lesson from that. This is a good reminder, though. A little strength training did help me recover, I need to do that more often.

I have never run a 5 k race, I'm thinking seriously to do it, but I'm afraid of being slow, since I'm trainning for longer distances, what's your current 5 k time??

Ha! I'm slow as well. :) You keep doing it you will get faster. My current 5k time is about 39 minutes.

Don't pay attention to anyone else but yourself! You can't compare yourself to others!

I remember I did my first 5k. It was tough. This one guy ran it in 20 minutes!!

I've had shin splints from time to time, usually only if I haven't ran for a great length of time. I typically just do some really basic exercises to avoid them (toe raises - stand with your feet flat, with your hands braced against a wall, couch, or chair. Lift your feet off of the ground so only your heels are touching the ground. Do how ever many reps / sets you need to). Then I just make sure to stretch my lower legs before running (in all directions).

Anyways, here are some good sites with far more info:

Shin splints treatment - exercise to strengthen the lower legs, prevent, repair and care for shin splints problems. | Sports Injury Bulletin

Shin splints treatment - exercise to strengthen the lower legs, prevent, repair and care for shin splints problems. | Sports Injury Bulletin

I have a "problem": I'm a really competitive person, hahaha, not a nice thing when there are so many people better than me at running, but I'm running half marathon first, and then I'm going to run a 5 k race, it will be a really different experience

I don't think I am very advance but I have run several 10ks and many 5ks before. Best advice I have to give is to always stretch, listen to your body when it tells you something is wrong, breath properly, and drink more water than you think you need. The other thing is that finding the right sneakers for your feet is really important. A lot of running sneakers differ in where their support is offered so try many different brands and kinds.

I just rejoined up with Knight Runners, the running club at my University.

I just got back from a meet. I'm in so much freaking pain. Six miles, tempo running.

My right foot went numb. Kinda worried me.

I don't run but my friends who are runners (one does those ultra-marathons, the other is more of a recreational/5K runner) got me these shoes as a gift and I feel like I should do some spontaneous parkour! I wore them for 9 hours straight yesterday, my first time wearing them, and no discomfort at all. I have some problems with my right foot so it's rare to find a shoe I can wear more than half hour let alone all day without breaking in.

7903224296_7a3f9f123f_z.jpg

I have decided to start "running" as I work in office and am sitting down most of the day so my arse gets really sore. As I am very unfit I can't run/jog very far. Went about 10 minutes last week and about 15 tonight, mostly jogging interspersed with bits of running, with the dog. I'd like to go back to gym as well.

My biggest issue is my weight. I'm about 186cm tall but I only weigh about 64kg. Over the past year or so I seemed to have developed this problem where I get anxious when I eat... I think it's because I've become very conscious about my body image, but instead of doing something positive about I've trained my brain to react in negative ways, like being able to not eat when my stomach is rumbling, stopping eating after a meal even if I'm still hungry, things like that. My other problem is that I've always been a very, very slow eater, probably due to the fact that for 20 years my jaws didn't line up, so I had to expend more energy and time eating, and was thus fuller sooner. I'm not someone who can force myself to eat either. Protein and milk was working for a while so I might try that again.

I don't really ever want to be ripped, but just to have a decent body would be great. If anyone has any tips on the eating, lemme know :up:

If you're going to be running, you're going to have to eat quite a lot if you're looking to maintain your weight.

An easy way to not feel self conscious about you body image when eating (and believe me I know where you are coming from) is to plan your regular means more accordingly. Food that is good for you doesn't have to taste like crap.

My dinner generally doesn't stray too far from a half pound o chicken and rice. If you do manage the habit o running and you want a better body image, just remember... exercise is important but diet is what will make the difference.

My rule of thumb: low to no fat in your diet. Minimalize carbohydrates unless you're eating them in the morning or directly before or after exercising.

I'm no pro but it is what has worked for me.

I just rejoined up with Knight Runners, the running club at my University.

You guys should really start a cycling club so you could be the Knight Riders.

Cobbler, at your weight, I don't really think you're really going to have to worry about losing much. Running only burns about 100 calories per mile, which is pretty easy to replace if you're only going a few miles per day.

Using a physical inclined plane (literally just two slabs of wood nailed together to make a wedge) made a tremendous difference for my plantar fasciitis- as soon as I started, I felt an improvement within two weeks. In the year prior I tried the physical therapy recommended stretches, including jamming the heel against a wall and the one where you go on all fours and wrap the other foot around the ankle you're trying to stretch, and it made virtually no difference. If anyone reading this has recurring trouble with the plantar or calves like I did, definitely give the incline a try. I still have occasional arch pain, but now I can stand for lengthy periods at work without aching, as well as running without having to pull over and stretch. As I said on the first page, I had been sidelined for well over a year, and it's astounding how well this simple solution has worked.

By the end of last year I was nearing 200 pounds, but as soon as I moved closer to work and started walking (~40 minutes total each day) I dropped a belt size, and in early August I started running 4-5 times a week. Now I've dropped another notch, and my jeans are starting to droop. Danny Boy's right that running doesn't actually burn that many calories, but I definitely feel more active and cardiovascularly able than I did before.

cobl04, I don't know if this is still useful (it's been ~ 3 weeks since you posted), but when I try to pick up running after a long break my goal is simply to go for 30 minutes. 30 minutes without stopping is the ideal minimum distance for any day, but taking walking breaks when working up to it is preferable- I'm paranoid about overuse, and my mantra is that it's OK to leave myself wanting more. It's not until I get a few weeks in that I start trying to keep a constant 30 minute pace and more.

Hello runners,

I'm a Dutch runner:wave: Although I'm only running for about 15 months. I ran 2 marathons, a few 10k races and one Ten Mile.

I ran 37:55 for a 10k race last week. I'm still an amateur, but I'm focusing on road races now. I ran a 5k in just under 18 minutes.

Vlaco said:
Hello runners,

I'm a Dutch runner:wave: Although I'm only running for about 15 months. I ran 2 marathons, a few 10k races and one Ten Mile.

I ran 37:55 for a 10k race last week. I'm still an amateur, but I'm focusing on road races now. I ran a 5k in just under 18 minutes.

Those are some nice times, Vlaco. Keep it up.

Bump! We need more runner talk :) I ran my first Half last month, 1:30 under 2 hours. Anyone run any interesting races lately?

I'm a runner, although a slow one, I still enjoy it. Busting to run today but its over 40 deg c here 100 f) so i am waiting for the cool change and will get out tomorrow. I have a couple of 10k events coming up in jan/feb then 2 half marathons and hoping to complete my first full marathon in october at the melbourne marathon. It will probably take me 5 hours but i will do it. I run for so many reasons and none of them are to do with speed.

Back
Top Bottom