Any Comic Book Fans Here ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rev. Reverse

The Fly
Over the past several months, I've had the honor to work with some pretty cool Green Lantern fans ... Our leader, Andrew, started a YouTube show titled "Hal & Kyle Show" ... My username is bobservations, but I write and do voice work using my now infamous bOB SPELLED BACKWARDS online alias ... I gotta warn ya though ... IT'S PRETTY CHEESY !!!

"The Hal & Kyle Show," Episode 9: What's Up, Doc?
Written by bobservations, released 04.26.08
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=TJqpEHyfmVw[/youtube]

:doh:

BACK TO F-ING COMICS!

please dont tell me you have like 9 billion of them dating back to your first one as a gift when you were like 10 years old and you just go so hooked on them, reading them like EVERYWHERE you fookin went that nobody, NOBODY can get past the front door of your house without ceiling height comic paper nearly takin their eyeball out?

:D

BACK TO F-ING COMICS!

please dont tell me you have like 9 billion of them dating back to your first one as a gift when you were like 10 years old and you just go so hooked on them, reading them like EVERYWHERE you fookin went that nobody, NOBODY can get past the front door of your house without ceiling height comic paper nearly takin their eyeball out?

:D

nope ... i'm nothing like that ... i do have a few from my childhood, but there are probably less than a hundred in my house ... i'm not really a collector though ... i'm more of a reader ... when i'm done with a comics, they either get donated to local kids or trashed ...

I've never enjoyed superhero comics, but stuff from Dark Horse, Vertigo etc. often appeals to me. Really digging Scalped and Northlanders currently.

I'm a pretty big Green Lantern fan. I've had various Lantern images as my avatar and sig in the past. Looking forward to the film version that is supposedly a go.

I'm a DC Comics fan, but Green Lantern and Green Arrow are the only two currently mainstream heroes that I really like ... I'm more of a Creeper and Metal Men kinda fan usually ...

I used to read a lot of DC Vertigo stuff like Sandman and Hellblazer and various mini-series, but was never a huge superhero comic reader, and rarely read Marvel. I also read stuff from the smaller companies like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the old school ones), Fish Police (fantastic comic), and Grendel.

This is all late-80's, I definitely got out of the loop shortly after graduating high school.

I've fallen out of the loop several times, so I definitely know what ya mean ... However, I was raised on DC and Archie Comics, so out of habit, I usually fall back into the loop, then hafta buy a bunch of back issues ... I wish they made Cliff Notes for comics ... Ya know ???

This is how I roll:

watchmen.jpg

VForVendetta.jpg

batman.jpg

Also Green Arrow and JLA once in a while. Currently trying to follow the Final Crisis storyline.

I tend to prefer non-powered superheroes, if you get my drift.

Batman's thighs scare me. :uhoh:

I'm not much of a superhero person. (I wouldn't know where to start!) I like Sandman, Preacher, Lucifer, etc..

I used to read Archie comic books as a kid and I have a Collectible Superman comic book that was my Dad's. That reminds me I should look into how much that issue is worth. :hmm:

Also Green Arrow and JLA once in a while. Currently trying to follow the Final Crisis storyline.

I've picked up bits and pieces of the Final Crisis story arc, but haven't seriously tried to follow it ... I've got a feeling it'll turn into something like Cher's Farewell Tour ... I'm not a Cher fan, mind you, but her Farewell Tour should be titled "The Ongoing Farewell Tour" ...

major_panic said:
I tend to prefer non-powered superheroes, if you get my drift.

For the most part, I agree with ya, but I'm a huge Green Lantern fan too ... Guy Gardner, by far, is my favorite GL ... He's proven himself a hero time and time again, with or without powers too ...

I am only a casual comic book fan. Some of my casual favorites are:

100 Bullets, Watchmen, Preacher, Sandman, Optic Nerve, Jimmy Corrigan, Maus, Dark Knight, From Hell, Fun Home, Palestine, Hellboy, Sin City, Fables, Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, Runaways, Stan Lee and Roger Stern's Spider-Man, Invisibles, Shade The Changing Man, Stray Bullets, Powers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Domu, Northlanders, Mouse Guard, Usagi Yojimbo, A Small Killing, It's A Good Life if You Don't Weaken, Losers, 100%, Goon, Queen and Country, The Boys, DMZ, Acme Novelty Library, Criminal, The Three Paradoxes, Shaolin Cowboy, Mr. Punch, Scott Pilgrim, 303, Ennis's Punisher, Signal to Noise, Pride of Baghdad, The Poor Bastard, Persepolis, War Story: D-Day Dodgers, Caricature, Ghost World, Strangers in Paradise, V For Vendetta, Alias, Kill Your Boyfriend, Lone Wolf and Cub, Berlin, Street Angel, Blankets, Human Target, Loveless, The Perry Bible Fellowship, Get Your War On, Walking Dead, Flaming Carrot, Lost Girls, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Killer, Chance in Hell, Black Hole, Eightball, Promethea, American Splendor, Stuck Rubber Baby, Fire, Jinx, Goldfish, Fortune and Glory, Concrete, Love and Rockets, and just a handful more...

Just a casual fan,
Jason

I am only a casual comic book fan. Some of my casual favorites are:

100 Bullets, Watchmen, Preacher, Sandman, Optic Nerve, Jimmy Corrigan, Maus, Dark Knight, From Hell, Fun Home, Palestine, Hellboy, Sin City, Fables, Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, Runaways, Stan Lee and Roger Stern's Spider-Man, Invisibles, Shade The Changing Man, Stray Bullets, Powers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Domu, Northlanders, Mouse Guard, Usagi Yojimbo, A Small Killing, It's A Good Life if You Don't Weaken, Losers, 100%, Goon, Queen and Country, The Boys, DMZ, Acme Novelty Library, Criminal, The Three Paradoxes, Shaolin Cowboy, Mr. Punch, Scott Pilgrim, 303, Ennis's Punisher, Signal to Noise, Pride of Baghdad, The Poor Bastard, Persepolis, War Story: D-Day Dodgers, Caricature, Ghost World, Strangers in Paradise, V For Vendetta, Alias, Kill Your Boyfriend, Lone Wolf and Cub, Berlin, Street Angel, Blankets, Human Target, Loveless, The Perry Bible Fellowship, Get Your War On, Walking Dead, Flaming Carrot, Lost Girls, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Killer, Chance in Hell, Black Hole, Eightball, Promethea, American Splendor, Stuck Rubber Baby, Fire, Jinx, Goldfish, Fortune and Glory, Concrete, Love and Rockets, and just a handful more...

Just a casual fan,
Jason

Nice to meet a casual fan with such a large reading list ... :applaud:

There's been a good couple Thor one-shots recently. Ages of Thunder and Reign in Blood were awesome, and I'm looking forward to Man of War, but tragically AoT and RiB came out June/July and MoW isn't going to be done until November.

Also, I need to find copies of The Shadow, because the shadow was the bomb.

Last edited:
That's only a partial list, Rev. Just off the top of my head. But I should try reading more superhero stuff. Know if CIVAL WAR is any good?

Best,
Jason

That's only a partial list, Rev. Just off the top of my head. But I should try reading more superhero stuff. Know if CIVAL WAR is any good?

Best,
Jason

Honestly, I'm not much of a Marvel reader, but Civil War caught my attention at first ... S'gonna be interesting to see how they bring the real Captain America back alive ...

I loved Thor. I used to have loadsa Superman comics when I was young and have kept a few of the original Spiderman comics..lol. Unfortunately I lent a load out to someone at college and that was the end of those. :angry: Oh well, serves me right I guess.

...and I'm a great lover of the Beano....oy.... that humour is still great. :D

The only superhero comics I read are THE BOYS, which is disgustingly good. POWERS and ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN by Bendis and BATMAN by Morrison, who I think is the only comic writer who can write while using recreational drugs, and EX MACHINA by Vaughan, who I think is the best writer in comics -- at least on technical terms.

:hyper: :applaud: :wave: :drool:

Morrison has gotta be one of everyone's favorite writers, but Gibbons and Johns have been doing some amazing things with Green Lantern too ... I thoroughly enjoyed Steve Niles take on The Creeper and Duncan Rouleau's Metal Men also ...

So, fuck, I know comics are hella nerdy and shit, but if you check the last page here, I mentioned a little comic book called "Scalped". And goddammit, I am absolutely in love with it. Best comic I've ever read. I'm bumping this just to say that anyone with half an interest in the medium should check it out, from the start. The first trade is a little bit shonky, still good though - but by the second and third trades, it's just gotten better and better. And it's still getting better. I'm gushing over this like mad. I've been reading other highly regarded comics on the shelves right now, and honestly, the closest one to it - Unknown Soldier - is still miles behind.

I also praised Northlanders, another Vertigo title (I kinda nearly exclusively read Vertigo books) in my post from however many months ago. To be honest, the most recent long arc about the Irish guy running away from Vikings or whatever fucking sucked. I tried to get into it, but the whole thing just seemed to go around in circles and even with the big blow in the last issue, I still didn't give a shit. Good news is, the new standalone is great, so check it out.

Anyway, I just want all you guys to keep talking about comics, because that shit is allllright.

Back
Top Bottom