All things gym! Thread/Discussion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so has anyone got foolproof advice for how i can stack on the kilos? :scream: my life goal is to be on The Biggest Loser

that's why i don't do the cardio sometimes.

I forgot to mention... when I started this process my body fat content was 3.5%. :| the personal trainer said that's the lowest she'd ever seen.

Elite athletes don't have a content that low. I think it's only hyper-bulimics/anorexics and the YOU GOT A DOOR? YOU GOT A GYM! RANDY COUTRE 11-MINUTE BODY-SHREDDING WORK OUT! types.

ooh yes, indian food :drool:

that's great you've been able to bring it up that much already, danny. :) the only thing i can suggest is just to eat as many nuts (including peanut butter) as possible. also stuff like avocados, some dairy, oh and some olive oil.

ooh yes, indian food :drool:

that's great you've been able to bring it up that much already, danny. :) the only thing i can suggest is just to eat as many nuts (including peanut butter) as possible. also stuff like avocados, some dairy, oh and some olive oil.

I was just going to suggest nuts--very healthy, but very calorie-dense.

OMG! Doubledown on the guac and chips. Get some nice organic tortilla chips with black beans or flax seeds in them. Those are all I ever eat now. Delicious!

Don't forget hummus and pesto, too--tasty, healthy and potentially good calories. Hummus spread in a wrap with other fillings is delicious. And pesto? Just dip good bread in it or find/make some good pasta and drench it in pesto.

One of the main things if you are trying to add calories is to watch your sodium intake though.

Food: Jamaican/west indian food also. Rice and peas...goat roti! Chicken, and lots of it (white)

Stout beers: Guinness, Dragon, McKewan's

Two raw eggs after your workout. Just shoot them it's not that bad.

Crazy shakes with peanut butter, ice cream, bananas, raw eggs, just about everything you'd never want to eat on a diet. Drink at least 2 glasses of milk per day.

More weight per rep, less reps per set. And 2 days between each muscle group so day 1 do upper body, day 2 legs and back, day 3 play a sport, repeat. (actually you might want to do legs first then upper then play a sport so you can at least run on day 3 lmao!!)

That's not medical advice, clearly. :lol:

I take soy protein and amino acid supplements. They do work in terms of muscle mass, but if you're not interested in that, then I don't really think that they are worth using. A lot of those supplements, like Ripped Fuel, can be very dangerous as well.

Soy? No Whey? What exactly do you take, if you don't mind me asking? I just do some whey protein shakes at the moment (and some standard multivitamins that I've always taken regardless of the workout), but have recently looked over a bunch of things at bodybuilding.com. Their forums are pretty humorous, as there's next to no agreement on any products. Guess it all comes down to personal preference and results, as everyone processes things differently.

What music do you listen to whilst at gym?

Strangely, I've found that a lot of the types of things others use to pump themselves up for a workout make my heart race too quickly, and I prefer something with a slower (but steady) beat most of the time when doing high intensity cardio.

Strangely, I've found that a lot of the types of things others use to pump themselves up for a workout make my heart race too quickly, and I prefer something with a slower (but steady) beat most of the time when doing high intensity cardio.

I usually just deal with the music on the screen... :(

btw did you know Muscles released a new album late last year?

Soy? No Whey? What exactly do you take, if you don't mind me asking? I just do some whey protein shakes at the moment (and some standard multivitamins that I've always taken regardless of the workout), but have recently looked over a bunch of things at bodybuilding.com. Their forums are pretty humorous, as there's next to no agreement on any products. Guess it all comes down to personal preference and results, as everyone processes things differently.

No problem. I take Whole Foods's soy protein supplement. It tastes absolutely dreadful, but it has 24 grams of protein per serving. The primary reason that I take it is because it is vegan; even though I'm not a vegan, I am trying to cut as much dairy from my diet as possible.

The soy has worked very well for me. It may just be that I am reaching full maturity in my body structure (I'm 27), but I am stronger now than I have ever been. If you do give soy a try, don't buy it from GNC, because the attendants will likely tell you, as they told me, that soy will turn you into a woman, which of course is not the case. That was a rather interesting conversation, considering that I was in substantially better shape than the person that was telling me to avoid soy protein.

btw did you know Muscles released a new album late last year?

I didn't! Looks like it was an EP / single. I'll have to check into that. I actually listen to tracks from the first album a lot at the gym.

No problem. I take Whole Foods's soy protein supplement. It tastes absolutely dreadful, but it has 24 grams of protein per serving. The primary reason that I take it is because it is vegan; even though I'm not a vegan, I am trying to cut as much dairy from my diet as possible.

The soy has worked very well for me. It may just be that I am reaching full maturity in my body structure (I'm 27), but I am stronger now than I have ever been. If you do give soy a try, don't buy it from GNC, because the attendants will likely tell you, as they told me, that soy will turn you into a woman, which of course is not the case. That was a rather interesting conversation, considering that I was in substantially better shape than the person that was telling me to avoid soy protein.

Ha. I don't know how GNC makes money, as everyone (myself included) seems to hate them. Whey protein shakes really make my stomach feel terrible for an hour or two after taking them (which is terrible if you're trying to drink them 5 or 6 days a week, let alone multiple times per day), so I'm very open to trying something else.

So a lot of studies say if you want to see significant gains, you really should be eating your target weight (in lbs, sorry kg users) in grams of protein per day. I feel like I inhale a megaton of protein, and I'm still not very close to hitting that amount of protein.

I am not happy with the type of adverts at the top of the page that this thread has brought. :angry:

I'm all for working on pecs, but if there are tits that big on my computer screen, they should be female. :D

You need to figure out your proper balance of carbs to proteins to fat that is right for your metabolism if you want to gain. Protein alone just burns and if anything will make you lose weight not gain. I think the ratio for gaining is 4:2:1 (carb/protein/fat) but you can do some more digging on that here is a link also: Bodybuilding.com - The Scientifically Proven Approach To Training And Nutrition: Part 2! - IDS Sports

Yeah, I'm not one for extreme diets, so no concerns on some carbs and fats here. I was more just talking about increasing the amounts of protein I'm taking to the recommended levels, as I've never actually taken quite as much as is recommended.

Speaking of awesome characters at a gym, there is a woman that works out at my place who I love. She's a stripper/masseuse with a banging body, so she's fun to look at, but what I love the most about her is that she's always wearing next to nothing with some thong or g-string hanging out. This means that almost every guy in the place (and a fair few of the ladies) follow her around when she's at the gym. That means that I just work out on the opposite side of the joint when she's there and I never (EVER) have to wait for equipment.

Thank you, sexy thong girl, thank you.

the-4-hour-body-20101207-134157.jpg

let me tell you something... if you want to lose some weight, buy this book today.

let me just explain something here... try and stay with me.

on friday morning i weighed myself on a very precise and accurate scale that was most recently used to weigh in wrestlers at a state championship.

saturday i had the following items...
--egg omelette
--4 cups of coffee
--bagel with butter
--cheeseburger with fries
--2 pints of guinness
--3 pints of bass
--roughly 1 1/2 bottles of white wine
--seasoned grilled chicken breast
--half a bag of pretzels
--half a container of hummus

i did not do any sort of workout whatsoever on friday, saturday or sunday.

today i weighed myself in again... lost almost 3 pounds.

i've lost over 17 pounds in 28 days, and i get to eat and drink like a slob once a week. this is the greatest diet ever created.

BUY THIS BOOK!

there are no gyms near here (out in the sticks), but i ride my horses 4 or 5 times a week for 1-2 hours a time (dressage, jumping and fast work, not plodding lol) and that keeps me pretty fit, and clears my head... it's my therapy ha

if i eat healthily it really burns up the calories, but usually i find i am so wiped out i need high carb energy (ok alright junk) food afterwards and then i stay at the same weight - my motto: ride horses, eat cookies, be happy :D

Back
Top Bottom