All things gym! Thread/Discussion. - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #106
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
The spine doctor I saw is about my age (almost 39) and had the same injury. We talked mostly about steroids and the proper use of them. Fascinating. For as much as I follow some sports and the Olympics, I've never read anything about steroids except that athletes abuse them and cancer patients need them.
The nice thing is that you now have an excuse if you ever get upset about anything, you can just blame it on "Roid Rage".

I think I'm going to try this out tonight:

Crazy Exercise Ball Trick�Video

If you don't hear from me, please call the paramedics.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:55 AM
I put my heart and soul into it and I finished my first race!

Central Park Conservancy Run for Central Park

Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #108
Blue Meth Addict

Very nice. How did it go?

I slacked really hard for two or 3 weeks right before and during the 4th of July holiday. Been trying to come back really hard lately. Eating / juicing a mega-ton of fruit and vegetables, hitting the gym once or twice a day, etc. It's sad that you can forget how good you feel when you're healthy. Eating garbage may be fun for the short term, but makes you feel like garbage for the long term.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

I ran the race with somewhat of a food borne illness which made me almost throw up around mile marker 3 but I was able to hold it down... I could feel it all slushing around in my stomach though lol.

I set my goal for 7:30 a mile and practically shattered that without even knowing which was pretty cool. I have a smaller race in 11 days that I'm pretty excited for... I want to put a 6 on the minutes column
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #110
45:33

Local Time: 07:55 PM
How do you get to that stage where you enjoy gym? "how good you feel when you're healthy". How can you go to gym twice a day?!?!

nice, Seven.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

I dunno. I've been told that having a six pack feels better than any food tastes.

I don't enjoy the gym at all. I enjoy the feeling after finishing up at the gym. I enjoy the feeling of finishing the run. Every single time it's an accomplishment of somewhere I've never been before.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #112
has a

Does anyone swim for exercise?

I really should swim for my back and joints, but I refuse to be penned in the dumb swim lanes. (I also refuse to use our local E. coli-prone lakes).
Old 07-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

I need to start swimming... yesterday I completed two thirds of a Sprint Tri and I want to enter in said race but I'd end up dead in the water if I had to swim a quarter mile in open water. Plus, being in open water is one of my biggest fears. If I could swim that distance, I would surely have a panic attack half way through anyways.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Interesting subject and an issue I can relate to very well. I've never liked sports and I've never done much sports. However, last year I managed to lose a lot of weight with fasting and a new diet. I lost more than 15 kilos, weight I had been carrying with me for 30+ years of my life. I grew up hearing day by day that I had to eat everything up and I wasn't allowed to leave the table unless my plate was empty.

And I come from a very meat loving family with a lot of sweets and fat stuff on their plates. My strongest act of rebellion against that tradition was becoming a vegetarian at 20 after I had moved out. They still cannot deal with that.

So I kind of lost my natural sense of feeling saturated and being able to say when I'm having enough. I'm still struggling against that a lot, because once I start to eat it's difficult for me to quit eating, I have to stop radically - or not eat anything at all. That's basically how I managed to lose weight, it was indeed quite radical. After the fasting periods I changed my diet completely and watched my calories very closely. I read and learned a lot about food, but I developed a total disliking of all kinds of diets, because I know from experience (and from many other people) that everyone reacts differently to certain diets: While a diet may be great for one person and help them to control their weight, it may be totally useless for another person.

So I found out I had to get over myself and do a lot of excercise to be able to keep my weight despite my bad eating habits. I got used to doing all sorts of stuff I'd never thought I'd do. The things that helped me the most has been regular gynmastics, Pilates, dancing, walking, and most of all: swimming. Ironically, I swim more in the winter than I do in summer, because it's so dependent on the weather. I walk a lot, I walk to every place I can reach without having to use public transport and I don't have a car. Most people I know don't even walk half the ways I do, they all think I'm crazy

I love to dance. I do training with weights to build up some muscle mass. The more I excercise, the easier it becomes. I still don't exactly love every bit of training, but I enjoy the feeling of having done something good for your body and health. I don't mind sweating. Unfortunately I started having some problems with my spine and my knee - due to an injury I suffered half a year ago - so I cannot run as much as I used to - the truth is that I shouldn't run at all - and I have difficulties doing certain positions in yoga. So I have to take care of my limitations, but apart from that I enjoy the training, even if it means having to get up an hour earlier because I have so much to do that I don't really have much time for the gym.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #115
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
How can you go to gym twice a day?!?!
I wake up early and do cardio at a gym that's just a few blocks from my place. We have a gym at work, and I lift weights there during lunch 3 or 4 times a week.

How to enjoy it, tougher question. For me, make sure you're going regularly enough that you can actually see results, otherwise you'll feel like you're just spinning your wheels.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:55 AM
i'm always at my happiest when i'm super active... i've spent most of my life doing some kind of sport/physical training every or nearly every day over the years, started off with horse-riding from young, then dance/yoga/pilates, then physical theatre training (including acrobatics, yoga etc.), then back to horse-riding again (not plodding - lots of knackering stuff like jumping and fast work) and right now i'm training every day (riding) - i just love the feeling of getting fit and getting my body back to how it's meant to be (after years of being a mum lol) and that feeling of being exhausted but in a good way - my work is intellectual so the sport side just clears my head - it's my safety valve and keeps me sane... the times i'm not riding i feel really shabby and not well in myself... so it's just something i have to do... it's kind of addictive... it really is a good all-over work-out too - the other day i did a whole training sesh without stirrups to work on my position and the next day my legs and abs were totally killing me - was in agony lol

it's kind of hard-wired into me and my siblings too, which is strange - we all grew up each completely into our own sports, and we still are, even now we're all old codgers lol
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

so i've decided to start p90x next week. anyone have experience with this?

i would say i'm a beginner when it comes to workout ruitines, so i'm a bit nervous. i had a good running routine last year, but this looks a lot more intense.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #118
Blue Meth Addict

I've never done it myself, but have had a handful of people I know do it. From what I gather, it's pretty exhausting no matter what your fitness level is.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I've never done it myself, but have had a handful of people I know do it. From what I gather, it's pretty exhausting no matter what your fitness level is.
yeah, i think the diet/replenishing will be very important.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #120
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:55 AM
I had a personal training session on Friday but I slept through my alarm. I woke up 3 hours after the training session would have been over. I do personal training 1-2 times a week because I have a bad shoulder and want to strengthen the area without injuring it. It's also really helped kick my butt into shape.