All things gym! Thread/Discussion. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #61
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Okay, I've got a question for people. This guy has been at the gym for the last few months. He sets the weight machines for as close to maximum as he seems to be able to lift (straining) and then proceeds to hold that weight up and moves just a fraction of the intended range. So, if he is on the Lat/overhead machine with say 250 lbs. on, he will just hold his arms down with the weights up, and then move his arms maybe an inch or so. He will hold it for as long as he can, then stops and moves to another machine.
Is there some muscle workout thing that I haven't heard of?
He's not ripped in the least, but he's not small either. He just seems weird.
Has anyone seen this type of thing? What's he trying to accomplish?
From my perspective, he seems to be heading for an extreme muscle tear, like someone should intervene.
__________________

__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #62
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,037
Local Time: 04:26 AM
In whose world is Fireflies a good song to work out to? There are no 9yo girls at gym! So play something decent!
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,439
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Okay, I've got a question for people. This guy has been at the gym for the last few months. He sets the weight machines for as close to maximum as he seems to be able to lift (straining) and then proceeds to hold that weight up and moves just a fraction of the intended range. So, if he is on the Lat/overhead machine with say 250 lbs. on, he will just hold his arms down with the weights up, and then move his arms maybe an inch or so. He will hold it for as long as he can, then stops and moves to another machine.
Is there some muscle workout thing that I haven't heard of?
He's not ripped in the least, but he's not small either. He just seems weird.
Has anyone seen this type of thing? What's he trying to accomplish?
From my perspective, he seems to be heading for an extreme muscle tear, like someone should intervene.
Ah, I've seen that type many times. He probably just values the number on the weights more than he does the quality of the workout. I personally cannot think of any benefit to that type of lifting.
__________________
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #64
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,037
Local Time: 04:26 AM
I don't push myself enough
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #65
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Ah, I've seen that type many times. He probably just values the number on the weights more than he does the quality of the workout. I personally cannot think of any benefit to that type of lifting.
Yeah, it's just weird, like he's going for the momentary super-strength to lift a car off someone--without the real lifting part, just the holding the car up part.

__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #66
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 893
Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Okay, I've got a question for people. This guy has been at the gym for the last few months. He sets the weight machines for as close to maximum as he seems to be able to lift (straining) and then proceeds to hold that weight up and moves just a fraction of the intended range. So, if he is on the Lat/overhead machine with say 250 lbs. on, he will just hold his arms down with the weights up, and then move his arms maybe an inch or so. He will hold it for as long as he can, then stops and moves to another machine.
Is there some muscle workout thing that I haven't heard of?
He's not ripped in the least, but he's not small either. He just seems weird.
Has anyone seen this type of thing? What's he trying to accomplish?
From my perspective, he seems to be heading for an extreme muscle tear, like someone should intervene.
He's probably trying to achieve endurance at the extreme level, instead of going step by step and noticing the results as you go along.
That's like doing AB Ripper X from P90X for 10 days straight and then suffocating to death rather than doing it every other day and getting a cut every week.
__________________
Dfit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #67
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 11:26 AM
This is gym related. I've been getting back to the stationary bikes at the gym a little and will probably buy a bike for this summer. Does anyone have recommendations for bike seats that don't destroy your nuts (and prostate)?
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #68
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: in a series of dreams
Posts: 578
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Spiderflex Comfortable Bicycle Seats / Ergonomic Bike Seat

__________________
solemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #69
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solemole View Post
Thanks. That looks pretty good.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #70
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,037
Local Time: 04:26 AM
how the fuck would you sit on any of those?
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #71
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
how the fuck would you sit on any of those?
One pad per cheek.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,371
Local Time: 12:26 PM
So uh I've somehow made it to the gym every day for -I'm not counting because I don't plan to stop- consecutive days straight.

I'm really just running and doing cardio. Run a mile and then sprint 1 minute thereafter. I sometimes top it off with some ab exercises and such but I don't really know what to do.

Other than being in tremendously better shape now I haven't noticed much a difference else-wise. Any hints/tips to improve my workout?
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,949
Local Time: 03:26 AM
I'm no personal trainer but maybe throw in some leg strengthening exercises, such as the Leg Press, just to increase muscle tone down there.. It may compliment your cardio pretty well in terms of endurance, or it might not.
__________________
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #74
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,037
Local Time: 04:26 AM
surely the gym has pt's? ask one of them!
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,439
Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
So uh I've somehow made it to the gym every day for -I'm not counting because I don't plan to stop- consecutive days straight.

I'm really just running and doing cardio. Run a mile and then sprint 1 minute thereafter. I sometimes top it off with some ab exercises and such but I don't really know what to do.

Other than being in tremendously better shape now I haven't noticed much a difference else-wise. Any hints/tips to improve my workout?
I'm assuming that you want to gain definition and/or muscle mass. If so, you should try to lift weights on three or four days of the week, each day targeting a different muscle group - for example, chest and back on day one, abdominals and arms on day two, and lower body on day three. If you are looking for definition, try to do a lot of reps with low weight. If you want size, then you should go for lower reps with high weight. Ultimately, balancing the two is probably the best approach.
__________________

__________________
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com