All things gym! Thread/Discussion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I've got a question for people. This guy has been at the gym for the last few months. He sets the weight machines for as close to maximum as he seems to be able to lift (straining) and then proceeds to hold that weight up and moves just a fraction of the intended range. So, if he is on the Lat/overhead machine with say 250 lbs. on, he will just hold his arms down with the weights up, and then move his arms maybe an inch or so. He will hold it for as long as he can, then stops and moves to another machine.
Is there some muscle workout thing that I haven't heard of?
He's not ripped in the least, but he's not small either. He just seems weird.
Has anyone seen this type of thing? What's he trying to accomplish?
From my perspective, he seems to be heading for an extreme muscle tear, like someone should intervene.

Okay, I've got a question for people. This guy has been at the gym for the last few months. He sets the weight machines for as close to maximum as he seems to be able to lift (straining) and then proceeds to hold that weight up and moves just a fraction of the intended range. So, if he is on the Lat/overhead machine with say 250 lbs. on, he will just hold his arms down with the weights up, and then move his arms maybe an inch or so. He will hold it for as long as he can, then stops and moves to another machine.
From my perspective, he seems to be heading for an extreme muscle tear, like someone should intervene.

Ah, I've seen that type many times. He probably just values the number on the weights more than he does the quality of the workout. I personally cannot think of any benefit to that type of lifting.

Ah, I've seen that type many times. He probably just values the number on the weights more than he does the quality of the workout. I personally cannot think of any benefit to that type of lifting.

Yeah, it's just weird, like he's going for the momentary super-strength to lift a car off someone--without the real lifting part, just the holding the car up part.

:shrug:

He's probably trying to achieve endurance at the extreme level, instead of going step by step and noticing the results as you go along.
That's like doing AB Ripper X from P90X for 10 days straight and then suffocating to death rather than doing it every other day and getting a cut every week.

This is gym related. I've been getting back to the stationary bikes at the gym a little and will probably buy a bike for this summer. Does anyone have recommendations for bike seats that don't destroy your nuts (and prostate)? :angry:

Spiderflex Comfortable Bicycle Seats / Ergonomic Bike Seat

homeimage(1).png

So uh I've somehow made it to the gym every day for -I'm not counting because I don't plan to stop- consecutive days straight.

I'm really just running and doing cardio. Run a mile and then sprint 1 minute thereafter. I sometimes top it off with some ab exercises and such but I don't really know what to do.

Other than being in tremendously better shape now I haven't noticed much a difference else-wise. Any hints/tips to improve my workout?

I'm no personal trainer but maybe throw in some leg strengthening exercises, such as the Leg Press, just to increase muscle tone down there.. It may compliment your cardio pretty well in terms of endurance, or it might not.

So uh I've somehow made it to the gym every day for -I'm not counting because I don't plan to stop- consecutive days straight.

I'm really just running and doing cardio. Run a mile and then sprint 1 minute thereafter. I sometimes top it off with some ab exercises and such but I don't really know what to do.

Other than being in tremendously better shape now I haven't noticed much a difference else-wise. Any hints/tips to improve my workout?

I'm assuming that you want to gain definition and/or muscle mass. If so, you should try to lift weights on three or four days of the week, each day targeting a different muscle group - for example, chest and back on day one, abdominals and arms on day two, and lower body on day three. If you are looking for definition, try to do a lot of reps with low weight. If you want size, then you should go for lower reps with high weight. Ultimately, balancing the two is probably the best approach.

Actually I care nothing of getting any bigger. I really just want to burn belly fat.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Actually I care nothing of getting any bigger. I really just want to burn belly fat.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

There are many studies that argue strength training is actually more effective at burning fat with a healthy diet than cardio alone with a healthy diet. As iYup said, mixing both is probably the best way to go. I know I personally get far better results with both than I do focusing on one or the other.

On an unrelated side note, sometimes I think I like doing cardio at the gym more than doing it outside just because I get to watch all sorts of people do and wear weird things while I work out. Makes it incredibly entertaining.

There are many studies that argue strength training is actually more effective at burning fat with a healthy diet than cardio alone with a healthy diet. As iYup said, mixing both is probably the best way to go. I know I personally get far better results with both than I do focusing on one or the other.

absolutely... just don't get discouraged when you step on a scale and notice your weight loss seems to be slowing down a bit. muscle weight more than fat. eventually most people get to a point where they're turning the fat into muscle instead of just losing it, and they think they're plateauing and get discouraged.

Huh well I just came back from the gym only intending upon running 10 minutes.

UCF's gym is all state-of-the-art and whatnot so all of the treadmills have TVs and iPod attachments and whatnot. I was watching the Marlins game. Bottom of the 5th, my 10 minutes were up. But the Marlins rallied with a John Buck triple, so I ended up running 25 minutes :lol:

Fuck you!

I'm meant to be doing cardio every session, on the bike, cos apparently my heart gets too high when I exercise. I'm meant to put it on level three, and pedal eight seconds as hard as I can, then 12 seconds normal, and repeat that for as long as I can. My PB is six minutes, I got it the other day. Then, some old, not-in-shape bloke (he resembled the old guy with glasses in Dodgeball) got on, same thing, and got to 15 minutes! Fuck you asshole!

:lol:

Well in all fairness it was 11:30 running, 2 minutes cool-down, restarted for another 6 minutes running, 2 walking, 2 cooldown, and another restart because the inning just wouldnt end! With the rest of the way running :D

Somethings say to do abs every work out, some say not to. What do youz guyz do?

I'm no source on this but I generally do abs every time, and I've noticed a difference.

Not that I have a 6 pack or anything, but that's just because I got a small bit o fat covering my abs.

Somethings say to do abs every work out, some say not to. What do youz guyz do?

I say yes. Abs are fast twitch muscles. Do them at the end of your work out. If you work them hard at the beginning or middle of your work out, you might have difficulty doing having your abs at full power to stabilize you during other exercise.

I popped my head in here as I just started going back to the gym today.

Gotta have muscular strength for the upcoming tour.

when you say "do abs", are you just talking about getting on that diagonal bench-type thing, putting your feet under the rungs, and then lifting yourself up and down til you cant no more?

Back
Top Bottom