All Things Gin! Thread + Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CanadaDryTonicWater.1.jpg

3371594296_fce8d22a7c.jpg

607-100.jpg
luv u :heart:

They're very refreshing all the time, and then you slip into that woozy warm gin blanket dreamy sleep where the guy with the top hat is following you through 1800s London.

I've never been a G&T fan because I don't like the quinine in the tonic water, but I used to drink a lot of other gin-based cocktails. Tom Collins, Martini, Singapore Sling, Gimlet, Fizz, etc.

For the last 7-8 years I've pretty much stuck to Jameson or various brands of scotch.

Never had Gin before. Makes mental note to try it in the summer for that refreshing drink.

I just poured myself a mason jar full of gin only to open the fridge to realize that I'm out of tonic. Naturally, as a raging alcoholic, I am not deterred by this unfortunate turn of events and instead go in search of another mixer. And what to my wondrous eyes did appear? A bottle of unopened apple juice.

Fuckin' horrific.

Never do it.

I just poured myself a mason jar full of gin only to open the fridge to realize that I'm out of tonic. Naturally, as a raging alcoholic, I am not deterred by this unfortunate turn of events and instead go in search of another mixer. And what to my wondrous eyes did appear? A bottle of unopened apple juice.

Fuckin' horrific.

Never do it.
Once, I had yogurt with bacon.

Was up late last night and caught an episode of Drinking Made Easy

This drink sounded great, and I actually have a bottle of Champagne in the fridge.

The French .75
(named after a WWI howitzer)

2 oz. Gin
1 oz. Simple Syrup
1 oz. Lemon Juice
Dry Champagne

Shake Gin, syrup and juice with ice.
Strain into an iced highball glass.
Top with Champagne.
Garnish with lemon.

There's no way that drink doesn't kick ass. And I'm glad someone else watches that show.

If you are turned off by the taste of gin in a mixed GNT, I recommend substituting and having a GNT with lemon instead of lime. It kind of balances out.

One thing is for sure, if gin is giving you a headache definitely go for Tanqueray or Sapphire. Not the kind of hard liquer you want to skimp on and go for the Gordon's London Dry.

oh god does Gordon's give you headaches then? because someone gave me a bottle of Gordon's a while back and i had to stop drinking my beloved G&Ts because even a really weak one would give me a pounding headache and a really bad hangover the next day... i put it down to getting old and being a lightweight hehe

i might ditch it (it's sitting there gathering dust on the shelf still) and treat myself to a Tanqueray or Sapphire then and see if that's ok... i do love a nice cold G&T with loads of ice and freshly squeezed lime on a Friday night while i'm cooking dinner... makes it feel like the weekend is properly here ha and no calories too! :D

Is diet tonic water good in the drink then? :hmm: I've been afraid to try since I can't stand diet soda (I don't drink any kind of soda pop actually)

Is diet tonic water good in the drink then? :hmm: I've been afraid to try since I can't stand diet soda (I don't drink any kind of soda pop actually)

I find diet tonic water fine. I think they always use saccharin instead of aspartame.

I'm trying to avoid chemical sweeteners all together, but it's hard to avoid some.

it's ok, but i put so much lime in (i squeeze half a lime, cut into wedges, and then chuck it in the glass all squished, details details lol) i can't really taste the difference... i prefer to use normal tonic though as i'm not keen on artificial sweeteners... damn, so i guess there are calories after all then lol

it's ok, but i put so much lime in i can't really taste the difference... i prefer to use normal tonic though as i'm not keen on artificial sweeteners... damn, so i guess there are calories after all then lol

Not in liquids there aren't. I'm pretty sure about that because you can't see them. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom