A writing thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I'm actually studying to be a sports journalist, but one of the subjects I chose at uni was creative writing. And I absolutely love it. I'm in a class with people of all ages, it's a really great environment and I'm enjoying reading various pieces of work, we've done short stories, creative non-fiction and now radio plays. Also learning heaps about creative writers, and just wondering if there are many others out there like me who love writing, I'm always writing something, just jotting down what pops into my head and expressing it creatively as I can. So I thought I'd make a thread, maybe we can share what we've done, show off if we've been published, give advice, etc. :)

Over the past couple of years I've been using different online writing sites with some success.

My first online publication was with the now-defunct Ruined Music back in 2007.

I joined the talented group of authors at Six Sentences in 2008 with the publication of my first Six which was published last September.

My second Six
was published in March of 2009.

In February of 2009 I made the author list for the print publication of 6S Volume Two.

Writers Digest recently added Six Sentences to their annual 101 Best Websites for Writers list.

I also keep a blog which I don't update nearly as much as I should. I am currently working on a book proposal but the process is a little rough and slow-going.

I feel completely out of my league but this is how we learn, I suppose.

Write, revise, repeat.

Thanks for the ideas beegee, I am a (wanna be) writer too. Haven't been published yet but have been writing poetry since I was 13 and have entered 3 poems into a publishing contest which I should find out very soon if I am one of the authors to get published *crosses fingers*

Awesome idea to have a writing thread!:up:

It helps to work in marketing to get into the for-profit world of writing. Good copywriters and technical writers are almost always in demand. Practice is key to good "professional" writing, as is an AP Stylebook.

I've been a writer almost all of my life--short stories, poetry, some fiction, some nonfiction. It's how my wife and I met, too.

I've had a couple of travel articles published in a small airlines' magazine. Industry trade publications are another place where I've been published, but not always with a byline.

I'm hoping to take this December and finish the several screenplays that I have sitting around in various stages of development. If I can finish 2009 with 3 screenplays completed, I'll be ecstatic.

Mark

I'm actually studying to be a sports journalist, but one of the subjects I chose at uni was creative writing [COMMA], and I absolutely love it. I'm in a class with people of all ages [SEMI COLON or PERIOD NEW SENTENCE]; it's a really great environment and I'm enjoying reading various pieces of work [SEMI COLON or PERIOD NEW SENTENCE]; we've done short stories, creative non-fiction and now radio plays. Also learning heaps about creative writers, and just wondering if there are many others out there like me who love writing[SEMI COLON or PERIOD NEW SENTENCE]; I'm always writing something, just jotting down what pops into my head and expressing it [AS] creatively as I can. So I thought I'd make a thread, maybe we can share what we've done, show off if we've been published, give advice, etc.[I'D RECOMMEND USING "ET CETERA" INSTEAD OF ETC., CAUSE LATIN IS BADASS, BUT THAT'S JUST PERSONAL PREFERENCE]. :)

I took a creative writing class in college and on Day 1 the teacher said she didn't like Sci Fi or Fantasy and wouldn't accept submissions in either genre. I remember these two geeks were utterly flabbergasted and contemplated going to the Dept Chair to complain.

I recently found one of the things I wrote and it was the worst god awful peice of shit ever written. Ironically, the teacher liked it. Needless to say, it was one of the worst classes I ever took. Good thing I wasn't a sci-fi / fantasy guy then.

I took a creative writing class in college and on Day 1 the teacher said she didn't like Sci Fi or Fantasy and wouldn't accept submissions in either genre. I remember these two geeks were utterly flabbergasted and contemplated going to the Dept Chair to complain.

I recently found one of the things I wrote and it was the worst god awful peice of shit ever written. Ironically, the teacher liked it. Needless to say, it was one of the worst classes I ever took. Good thing I wasn't a sci-fi / fantasy guy then.

I learned to sell out early. One of my comp teachers fancied himself an amazing dad (he wasn't). So, my final submission was some shit like, "The Father I Know Is Not The Dad I Remember."

A+++ The asshole almost cried in front of the class when he read it aloud.

pwnd

Mark

My academic writing was always very strong. Then I entered the my current profession and found that my professional writing was fairly strong, too.

However, a life-long lament of mine is that my creative writing skills are atrocious. I've been an inveterate reader for the longest time, yet I just cannot exhibit any real skill when trying to create something fictional. I have a vivid imagination, too, yet cannot seem to merge my ideas with my ability (or lack thereof) to write.

The best I can do lately is to write stupid haikus on demand. :)

Anyway, COBL, good luck with this and I'm glad to hear that you are enamored with the written word.

Great idea for a thread!

I've been writing since I was little, mostly stories and some poems. I've done mostly journalistic work in the last five years. But in two weeks, I'll be taking a writing course so I could get to work on the Great American Novel. I've been meaning to write books since I knew what books were, and now I have the time do it. I've already got started on my story idea, but I am really looking forward to this course. I am hoping to get reasonable feedback and having a good mentor in my instructor.

The other day at the local bookstore, there was book signing for the author Louise Shaffer. I don't know if anyone has ever heard of her, but she has a book out called "Serendipity." Anyway, I stopped by and chatted with her. I told her about my writing course, and I also asked her for some advice. Here is what she told me that I certainly am going to remember: Don't get it right, get it written. No one is forcing you to sit there but you, because you believe in yourself.

Hope that helps for all the writers out there. :)

I'd love to write. I've finally got a good idea for a story, but not much experience in writing creatively. I can write a uni essay and get an HD without a second thought, but when it comes to doing my own thing? Well, just read my posts. :lol: I've got a long way to go.

So much talking about writing....whens someone gonna post something? :hmm:

I took a writing course in college. I thought it was a lot of fun. My prof liked my stuff and tried to encourage me to enter contests and what not. I think I'll stick with photography though and leave the writing to the really talented folks.... I'd be interested in reading people's work. Which one of ya is gonna step up and pop the writing thread cherry?

This is a short story I wrote for class, I got a distinction for it in the end, about 70%, but it's an idea I've had in my head for ages, I'd really love some feedback on it, I'm thinking about trying to get in published in our uni's annual literary book.

It's called The Seven Towers of Ballymun (two guesses where the inspiration's from)

Alle, alle, alleluia, alle, alle, alleluia…

She was just 14 when she passed away. There was no funeral, no death notice, no grieving. The world turned for everyone as it would any other day.
Her mother was only 15 when she was born; and died during the pregnancy. They never found the father.
Her formative years were spent in an orphanage for babies in Cappoquin, west County Waterford, but she was never adopted. She got too old, and was transferred to an orphanage in Ballymun, about two and a half hours north, just out of Dublin. And it was Dublin in the late 70s – uninviting and plagued by heroin.
The building was tall and narrow, and far from modernity in its rectangular shape and evenly-spaced, square windows. Depressing black smoke billowed from the chimney atop the roof; the tenants never saw fit to keep it in good shape. The walls were stained from the pollution; the rooms were overlarge and cold.
As long as she could remember she had been there. Her earliest memories were of sitting in her corner, watching the bleak faces and the bleak movements and the bleak voices as rejected kid after rejected kid moped around the shit old joint.
Outside the windows were the seven towers of Ballymun, all varying in height and structure. She would spend hours just staring at them sometimes, wondering what happened inside them, whether she would ever find out.
She grew up despising the daily grind, lining up to be gratuitously checked over for prospective parents – the workers didn’t want to be there either, they were only in it for the money.
Each day passed with a bit of hope – some of the kids were adopted. Potential parents had come to look at her, but always found something in her to turn them away. She was perhaps the most reclusive of the lot. But how could you blame her? One dead parent, and one might as well have been.
She wished for a normal life. Even at such a tender age she felt tears welling in her eyes as she watched mother, father, son, daughter, walk past on the other side of the street.
Gradually, as she grew older, that small feeling in the pit of her stomach, the hope that she would be adopted, deserted her. Her 10th birthday came and went in tears. Her doll’s hair had fallen out; the nearest kid to her age who hadn’t been adopted was six years old. She felt ostracised and alone, always staring out the window, imagining, to make it seem okay for a few moments. She always had a great imagination.
One of the things she did to pass the time was watch out the window. She noticed after a while that a man in a heavy, black trench coat often walked past, at least a couple of times a day. Sometimes he would meet another person just around from the corner, just enough for her to watch them. A few quick words, some seedy glances, a couple of hand movements and they parted ways. She watched it happen, day in, day out, trying to figure out exactly what was going on in these exchanges.
She learnt after a month that it was always the same four or five people who met with the man in the heavy, black trench coat. It wasn’t until she was thirteen that she came to fully understand.
One day she decided she’d had enough. This existence was killing her, slowly, slowly. The orderlies never really cared. Their solution was always another round of Godfrey’s cordial. I’ve gotta do something about where I’m going
After breakfast she looked out the window, and saw that man again. Keen for something different, she decided to go outside and watch from closer up, see what the deal was. So, watching carefully as she snuck out the front doors, she crept out into the street and started walking.
And there he was. Talking to the same man again. She didn’t want to be seen, so she hid behind a tall, grey pillar.
A few mumbles were exchanged, and the man in the trench coat flung out his arm, though she couldn’t see what he gave the other man. They nodded, and moved off.
She was intrigued, she couldn’t turn away. He spotted her and walked over. Her life might have turned out differently if she’d just gone back to the orphanage.
“Hey.”
She didn’t answer.
“How old are you?”
Still no answer.
“Here, do you want some of this? Free…” he reached into one of the pockets and pulled out a needle and some white powder. He handed her a tiny batch.
“Dissolve this in water, draw it into the needle, find a vein and away you go. And, uh, do me a favour, let me know what you think,” he said with a seedy smile and off he went.
She hadn’t said a word the whole time, and she wondered what she was going to do with a needle and some powder. But he seemed nice she thought, and any excuse for her to kill time before curfew was great, so she decided to try it.
She walked down a deserted alleyway and found a rusted old tap. Repeating the man’s instructions over in her head, she held the bag underneath the tap, turned it on and dissolved and mixed the powder. Then she sat down next to the tap, picked up the needle and withdrew the viscous liquid.
She felt bad, all of a sudden. This feels wrong, she thought. But having never really had anyone around to learn, well, just about anything, a wave of anger flushed over her. Her adrenalin kicked in and she found a vein in her arm and pushed down the syringe.
That was the first time she shot up.
She woke up sore and shaking and out of it. She blinked, trying to organise her thoughts, but she couldn’t. Her shivering got worse, and she tried to move to stop the pain. When she looked down she could see, just beside her, a massive pool of vomit. She brought her hand up to her face and hair and could feel it, smell it. She threw up again, then put her hands under the tap and cleaned herself up. She tried to stand up, but failed.
She sat there for a moment, unable even to think. After a while her head seemed to clear up, and she thought about last night. How her blood was pumping as she got ready to inject, how her heart felt like it was going to explode inside her as she plunged, the strange emotion she felt as the stuff took effect.
She’d never felt that way before. It was the most amazing feeling. Like nothing seemed to matter. Everything that had brought her pain became immaterial. It was the greatest moment of her life. She felt… happy. The alleyway looked different now.
She caught herself. Now she was freezing, ill, and miserable. Why didn’t I stay like that, she wondered. She finally mustered enough strength to stand, and walk the few blocks back to the orphanage.
A few hundred metres from its doors, the man in the heavy, black trench coat saw her, and came walking over to her. She froze, terrified.
“You must’ve had a big night… first time, huh?”
He looked her over. “Is that where you live?”
She nodded.
“Mmm…” he unbuttoned his coat, and her eyes flashed, just for a millisecond. He caught it.
“Heh. Enjoyed it, huh? I could give you some more…” and he reached into his pocket again. “But it’ll cost you.”
She was becoming increasingly confused. In all her life she’d had few human interactions, and here was one.
“Money, I mean. Cash. They got some stored away in there?”
Inadvertently she nodded. She knew where they kept the petty cash. It was in one of the draws, behind the desk, near the entrance.
“Well how about this. You go in there, get me few wads of cash, and we’ll sort something out hey?” Still she didn’t say anything, and he got annoyed as she stared back quizzically.
“You get me some of the money that’s in there, I’ve seen it. Give it to me, and I’ll give you some more of this,” and he showed her the junk. Her heart skipped a beat. Now she understood. She could feel as happy as she did the night before, again. How she wanted to feel that way, again.
But she just kept standing there, and he muttered something and walked off. She was confused again, and wanted to sleep in a bed. She went back into the orphanage; no one was around to notice.
She had spent a day or two freaking out. She became agitated, and had marks on her arms from where she had scratched herself. She hadn’t wanted to eat, was too uptight to sleep. All she’d been able to think about was that wondrous night.
The man in the heavy, black trench coat was still around, of course, and she remembered what he’d said about the money. One particularly restless night she had got out of bed and made her way to the entrance desk. She had looked around furiously for the key, and after a few frantic minutes found it. She opened petty cash and took out a few notes. In her haste she grabbed more.
The doors were locked, so she hadn’t been able to get out until the morning. Soon as they were open she ducked out and searched for the man. Her mind raging, she saw him, and immediately relaxed. She longed for the needle’s chill.
He grinned and sniggered to himself. Another one. And he gave her another small bag.
And another.
And another.
And another.
She never got to find out what happened in the seven towers, and no one mourned her.
But no one saw the smile spread across her face, either.

I ended up studying at Trinity College in Dublin in 2002 under two publishes writers. Since then I've turned my original first novel in to a set of 3, and now I'm working on another novel that's totally different from the other three.

I'm diggin this thread and I'll finish reading through it later, but I just wanted to add in here that I'm a writer too. :wave:

:no: :no: :no:

thats terrible!!!! what a horrible creative writing teacher, someone who definetly never should have been!!!!

How can you rule out creative-ism in a CREATIVE writing course?! stupid teacher

You went to a shit University.

I mostly dabble in music, literary, and philosophical criticism, with the music-oriented stuff (unsurprisingly) being my strongest. Between school and published reviews, I've done work on The Flaming Lips, Andrew Bird, U2, K'naan, 50 Cent, and Okkervil River, among others and have plans to do a couple pieces on dead prez and Tupac in the next several months.

But, it's always been a wish of mine since I was a kid to be a poet, so the past couple weeks I've started working on that, committing to getting better at it, and just writing little bits and pieces constantly. So far, I've figured out that I'm not much a fan of poetic conventions. And if nothing else, hopefully this will all help in adding more linguistic musicality to my other writing, which is something I've been aiming toward doing for awhile now.

This is a cool thread, or at least a good concept for one. I'm a journalism major, so my work is more analytical than perhaps Danny wanted this thread to encompass. I think I'll be able to join in throughout the remainder of this semester though, as I have been in a creative writing class for a few months now; it gets the gears moving, whether I like it or not. You'll all be privy to the whiny inner machinations of my mind.

Come to think of it, maybe this was a terrible idea for a thread.

In February of 2009 I made the author list for the print publication of Six Sentences Volume Two

"The second print anthology of the New York Times recommended writing site "Six Sentences," featuring an introduction by Neil LaBute, a guest appearance by Rick Moody, and hundreds of original sixes by a talented lineup of international authors."

Writers Digest recently added Six Sentences to their annual 101 Best Websites for Writers list.

I recently made the author list for 6S Volume Three.

Publication is scheduled for April, 2010.

any whiny inner machinations are most welcome, i'd love to see anyone posting anything they've done in here, so please do!

i'm a journalism major as well, travis, but i LOVE just writing.

I'm a journalism major, so my work is more analytical than perhaps Danny wanted this thread to encompass.

i'm a journalism major as well, travis, but i LOVE just writing.

I might be biased since I mostly do analytical stuff too, but I think we ought to give ourselves a bit of credit for being good at that. As often as I'd rather be a creative writer, being able to deconstruct a work, then reconstruct an argument about it in a grammatically and aesthetically pleasing way is a talent. One that many people don't have or don't choose to cultivate. Personally, I take serious care in word choice, to a painstaking and honestly draining degree (oh, but I still love it so!), when writing in order to convey precisely what I mean, which is something that people who don't consider themselves "writers" probably wouldn't take the time to do. I imagine it's the same with creative writers as well. All that being said, I'd still rather be a poet, if I had the choice. But, when it comes down to it, writing is writing, no matter what the final expressed form.

If people really want, I'm definitely down to put up some of my critical work. Maybe some creative work if I ever get to that point (ha, we'll see if that happens).

I agree with the above but I would trade every lauded paper, report, critical essay, pitch, proposal or presentation I ever authored academically and professionally for the ability to take what I can conjure up in my imagination and make it appear in written form in a pleasing and skillful way.

That's not meant to demean my own or anyone else's accomplishments in areas of writing that are not creative, not one iota. It's more of a personal lament. Though, as Clownshop Magee Oneblood says, it does take some modicum of skill to write critically in an effective manner (because, as you need not be told, not every self-styled journalist is actually good at it. Sometimes you can take classes until you are blue in the face; some people "got it" and some don't) and it still provides one with a medium to employ the english language in ways one finds pleasing. But, for me, 95% of the writers I admire write creatively, and so that must be where my heart truly lies.

I will say, though, that of all the things I've ever written or tried to write, the things that always gave me the greatest sense of satisfaction were actually term papers. This is pre-internet (fossil alert, whatever, fuck you), so I had no choice really but to hole up in a library, but we can all relate to having to track down information on a topic from various and perhaps varied sources, picking out that which is most pertinent and useful, culling that information and presenting it within a structure that is hopefully both informative and entertaining simultaneously. I'd always do it last-second and would always grin at how it would all just seem to come together. I guess if I couldn't write a gripping short story at age 17, this was the next best thing.

Lastly, I have oodles of short stories and poems of mine saved up from years past. I'll post exactly none of it, but it is astounding just how fucking horrible most of it is.

I think academic writing deserves just as much respect as creative writing. I'd argue that a novel is just as different from poetry as poetry is from academic writing. All three use very different writing skills. For example, my main writing talent is in poetry but I couldn't write a novel because I don't have the skills of not becoming bored, plot development or keeping someone hooked for 150+ pages. No writer is talented in every form of writing because no writer has all of the needed skills. For an academic writer not having the skills to succeed in creative writing doesn't make you any less of a writer.

So far, I've figured out that I'm not much a fan of poetic conventions.

Honestly, the first thing I would tell anyone who wanted to write poetry is to ignore the conventions and form their own style. Poetry is the most flexible form of writing and should never be restricted because of that. I had a poem published in a literary magazine that had no rhyme scheme, no organized structure and broke many rules of English language and grammar. You should experiment when you write creatively and that begins by throwing out the rules. :up:

I will say, though, that of all the things I've ever written or tried to write, the things that always gave me the greatest sense of satisfaction were actually term papers. This is pre-internet (fossil alert, whatever, fuck you), so I had no choice really but to hole up in a library, but we can all relate to having to track down information on a topic from various and perhaps varied sources, picking out that which is most pertinent and useful, culling that information and presenting it within a structure that is hopefully both informative and entertaining simultaneously. I'd always do it last-second and would always grin at how it would all just seem to come together. I guess if I couldn't write a gripping short story at age 17, this was the next best thing.

i agree with this. English was really my own good subject at school and i thrived on writing in English and Lit in the last few years. I ended up topping my school in English in Year 12 and i loved writing essays and all the stuff that came with it.

i'd love to see some of your work Cassie, especially since i remain eternally jealous of the course you're doing. :wink:

I agree with the above but I would trade every lauded paper, report, critical essay, pitch, proposal or presentation I ever authored academically and professionally for the ability to take what I can conjure up in my imagination and make it appear in written form in a pleasing and skillful way.

That's not meant to demean my own or anyone else's accomplishments in areas of writing that are not creative, not one iota. It's more of a personal lament. Though, as Clownshop Magee Oneblood says, it does take some modicum of skill to write critically in an effective manner (because, as you need not be told, not every self-styled journalist is actually good at it. Sometimes you can take classes until you are blue in the face; some people "got it" and some don't) and it still provides one with a medium to employ the english language in ways one finds pleasing. But, for me, 95% of the writers I admire write creatively, and so that must be where my heart truly lies.

I completely agree, which is why I said (twice now, I think) that if I had the choice, I'd rather be a poet than any other type of writer, fool.

Lastly, I have oodles of short stories and poems of mine saved up from years past. I'll post exactly none of it, but it is astounding just how fucking horrible most of it is.

Tease. We could all use a good laugh at your expense. :wink:

Honestly, the first thing I would tell anyone who wanted to write poetry is to ignore the conventions and form their own style. Poetry is the most flexible form of writing and should never be restricted because of that. I had a poem published in a literary magazine that had no rhyme scheme, no organized structure and broke many rules of English language and grammar. You should experiment when you write creatively and that begins by throwing out the rules. :up:

Thanks for the tip, Justin. I'll definitely keep at it...with no conventions.

i loved writing essays and all the stuff that came with it.

i'd love to see some of your work Cassie, especially since i remain eternally jealous of the course you're doing. :wink:

Yes. I always hear people complaining about essay writing, and I just don't get it because that's, without a doubt, my favorite aspect of school. Lectures, meh. Tests, hate 'em. Discussions can be cool, depending on the class and classmates. But essays? Absolutely fucking love writing them.

Ha, thanks Danny. I'm still not quite sure how I managed to convince a committee that this was a valid academic venture.

I'll put up portions of a few papers, with links to them in their entirety (if anybody really wants to read them fully, which I don't expect at all, haha).

What’s Hardcore?: Notions of Hardness and Authenticity in Rap Music
http://www.send space.com/file/uidu79

Reality rap, and more specifically its subgenre, gangsta rap, has become the most dominant genre in rap music over the last twenty or so years, and though much attention is focused on the lyrical content of songs located in these genres, the music behind the lyrics is also important in conveying a hard sound. Adam Krims has described reality rap as having several features: “a (pitch-wise) unfocused but dominating bass,” “dissonant pitch combinations,” and “samples that foreground their own deformation and/or degrees of reproduction.” Further, the ideal of this sound is embodied in the “hip-hop sublime,” which is a concept that could serve to partially explain the appeal of gangsta rap to the masses, particularly if calling back Edmund Burke’s description of the sublime, which points out the simultaneous reaction of pleasure and fear that occurs. The hip-hop sublime is a direct result of “dense combinations of musical layers” that do reinforce the ever pervasive and present four-beat meter, but all of these layers are so dissonant that they often do not sound in tune according to Western conventions. As the layers build and pile up, they defy “aural representability for Western musical listeners.” “Don’t Push Me” by 50 Cent, from his 2003 album Get Rich or Die Tryin’, and “What’s Hardcore?” by Somali-Canadian rapper K’naan, from his 2005 album The Dusty Foot Philosopher, epitomize the hip-hop sublime, both using virtually all of its aforementioned features.

K’naan sets up a dialectic between himself and the likes of 50 Cent to establish his authenticity; he is the anti-gangsta, always defining himself against that image. 50 Cent, on the other hand, positions himself within a long standing tradition of America’s obsession with the outlaw--with Stagger Lee, specifically, being the most obvious outlaw paralleling 50 Cent--and in doing so lends himself a higher possibility of gaining commercial success. But, why do we need these outlaws, and why do we see in them the ultimate expression of authenticity?

Outlaws and gangstas take life and turn it into image and myth, removing it from the harsh truths and gruesome results of real crime. There is the potential for danger, but it is all implied; gangsta rappers are threatening, but still remote enough for us. In other words, “the menace of the criminal, removed from any association with real life and real victims, became a visual vocabulary of stance, swagger, and gesture.”

Get Big, Little Kid: Okkervil River’s Black Sheep Boy and the fetishizing of childhood in indie rock
http://www.send space.com/file/oc1fz2 (This one's 19 pages long...so, read at your own risk.)

Since its inception in the 1980s, indie or alternative rock, that ever elusive term that is generally used to describe the means of production and distribution of independent music—therefore, an album released on an independent label that falls under the genre of rock would be considered indie rock—but can also be evoked in terms of a genre or sound unto itself, has been overtly obsessed with childhood, resulting in a fetishizing of childhood that manifests itself in both the sound of the music and the lyrical content. This fetishizing occurs within the larger context of our culture as well; Cindy Katz, studying childhood as spectacle, notes that contemporary social life in the USA is riddled with ontological insecurity provoked initially by the threats to its presumptions of hegemony associated with the social movements of the 1960s and 1970s, the effects of decolonization, the oil shocks of 1973, and the military defeat in Vietnam, among other things. Along with the loss of bravado […] came the loss of innocence associated with the assassinations of the 1960s and Watergate, and this ontological insecurity “is associated with anxiety about the future, which is in part channeled in and through concerns about childhood and the nature of childhood.” The majority of indie rock dealing with childhood focuses on a nostalgic view of that life stage, one that is essentialized into a time of perpetual happiness and innocence; Okkervil River opt for turning this ideal upon its head, giving us the dub version of childhood—dark, angry, violent, and confused—throughout their 2005 album, Black Sheep Boy.

I would suggest that the strings, indeed, even hold more weight than simply highlighting the Black Sheep Boy’s final transformation into a man; the string section in “So Come Back, I Am Waiting” is the voice of the Black Sheep Boy, inserted into the song in dissonant, visceral fashion. The strings first come in after the Black Sheep Boy finishes his sentences: “There’s plenty of ways to know you’re not dying, all right. Hell, there’s plenty of light still left in your eyes.” As the track progresses, the strings only occur when the Black Sheep Boy is explicitly speaking (before and after “Every language of king is concerned,” and after “some liar I loved to control”), foreshadowing each consequential lyrical event—from the Black Sheep Boy growing horns to using a more advanced nomenclature when describing himself to the eventual conflation of the narrator and the Black Sheep Boy. But the most striking utilization of the crucial strings section occurs in that moment after the lyric “some liar I loved to control,” where a black diapason is finally allowed to stretch and swell, birthing the Black Sheep Man, but only after hitting an absolutely torturous rock bottom first. As influential psychoanalyst and philosopher Frantz Fanon described this wretched area and its potential: “There is a zone of nonbeing, an extraordinarily sterile and arid region, an utterly naked declivity where an authentic upheaval can be born.” Here, the strings are the embodiment of this zone of nonbeing, where this ambiguously beastly, yet humane figure falls further into the depths of his abyss, until finally ascending out through an upheaval of self, leaving a rebuilt, matured being in their wake.

Becoming an Anonanimal: Animistic Ties in the Language of Coetzee, Kafka, and Andrew Bird
http://www.send space.com/file/o0846i

In other words, the very nature of language as an interpretive, signifying frame results in the production of multiple meanings, and it is through this multiplicity of meaning that reality—an ever-moving, changing, morphing perception—is shaped by us, or more specifically, by the discourses we compose. Language’s plurality of meaning also results in an ambivalent relationship to discourse, as Roland Barthes describes it: “To try to write love is to confront the muck of language: that region of hysteria where language is both too much and too little, excessive (by the limitless expansion of the ego, by emotive submersion) and impoverished (by the codes on which love diminishes and levels it).” (Barthes, 99) Language is thus excessive, in the sense of possibility for embodiment (or emotive submersion) that lies within it, as well as impoverished because of the linguistic and syntactical codes that bind it, codes which do not apply to emotion as they do to reason or discourse. This idea is one that provides the crux of Coetzee’s argument throughout The Lives of Animals: the hope of changing humanity’s consciousness in regard to our treatment of animals lies in language, which is lavish and unconstrained—specifically as a poetic art form (either in poetry or in literature at large), the form that is “organized violence committed on ordinary speech” (Eagleton, 2)—and not in reason. Language, as one form that specifically defines us as rational, reasonable, analytical, and logical human beings and allows us to attempt to articulate our thoughts, thus both separates us from other non-rational, nonlinguistic beings, as well as holding the potential for embodiment of other beings; it is this special role in society which language holds as excessive, yet impoverished and schismatic, yet promising, that I wish to explore through Kafka’s “A Report to an Academy,” Coetzee’s The Lives of Animals, and a song by Andrew Bird, “Anonanimal,” all of which showcase language and its multiplicity of meanings in various forms.

For some, the boundary between animal and human is drawn along linguistic and reasoning lines; Descartes said, “I think; therefore I am,” and animals do not think (at least not to our standards, as far as we know); therefore they are not.

Andrew Bird blurs the lines between human beings and animal beings in “Anonanimal.” Bird’s lyrical techniques of choice—which lead to the obscuring of boundaries between humans and animals—are homophones and alliteration, both of which factor in strongly to precisely how “breath and sense” are combined in the lyrics to “Anonanimal.”

Homophones and their resulting homophonous sounds when said (or sung) aloud serve to break down barriers of meaning (because of the multiplicity of meaning that results), which, when looked at within the song’s storyline, shatters borders between humans and animals as well. Throughout the entirety of “Anonanimal,” Bird uses eight different homophonous sounds, sometimes combining two or three words to fit the phonic pattern. Because so many of the words used in its lyrics are bound up in this homophonous cocoon, the actual lyrical content of “Anonanimal” is difficult to decipher without having liner notes in front of you, again blurring linguistic boundaries through wordplay, or “organized violence committed on ordinary speech” (Eagleton, 2). Alliteration also softens these lines by helping the lyrics slip off of one’s tongue smoothly and with ease (due to continuous similar sounds in the words).

I completely agree, which is why I said (twice now, I think) that if I had the choice, I'd rather be a poet than any other type of writer, fool.

Tease. We could all use a good laugh at your expense. :wink:

To your first point, clown, who cares how many times you said it? I'm talking now, about me. So step aside, or, better still, step off.

As for the second point, I give everyone on this site ample opportunity to laugh at me, no need to pile on.

FYI - I continue to enjoy your writing, thanks for posting.

Well, It's official... I'm a Writer

Well, now I can die in peace!

I've been trying for almost 11 years but I couldn't get any publisher so I had to try and publish it myself. Is there any writers in here?

you can find my book on Self Publishing - Lulu.com but it is written in Portuguese so 90% of you can't understand what I wrote.

Anyway, i'm not trying to sell anything lol. I just needed to take this out of my chest and share it with you.

Interference rulz :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom