a test for you canadians, guys.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
13. a newspaper that describes someone suffering an injury, would likely proceed to explain that the victim was subsequently:
a) sent/rushed to the hospital
b) sent/rushed to hospital

i'm surprised so many got this wrong. you use "the" generally when people know what the definitive is precisely representing. in this case... which hospital the victim is currently recovering in. we don't know that, so the article is not necessary.

"john david was rushed to hospital last night after his car crashed into a barrier on the side of the road..."

americans always use the article, british never, UNLESS one wants to emphasise the particular hospital in question.

We don't do (learn in school) definitives and articles here, but I ask genuinely, is it really incorrect to say 'the hospital'? You say 'the' before other places and services, such as the doctor, the pub, the stadium, the police station.. Why is hospital so different?

We don't do (learn in school) definitives and articles here, but I ask genuinely, is it really incorrect to say 'the hospital'? You say 'the' before other places and services, such as the doctor, the pub, the stadium, the police station.. Why is hospital so different?

sorry angela, i was just being an asshole. it's not "wrong" per se, but in canadian journalism you will almost never find the article.

hospital isn't different from your other examples... it's like in canadian english, why is advertise spelled with an s but so many others retain the z spelling in words such as organize, hospitalize, etc.

it doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's (canadian) english for you.

this is the only point i'll concede to ... look, i'll cease writing month/day/year and even urge fellow american bumpkins to follow suit if you'll kindly pull that stick out from your ass. win-win. :happy:

everything has a purpose, trip. are you SURE you want me to pull it out?

1. red, blue, and green are examples of:
a) color
*** b) colour

2. if you want to do something for the benefit of another person, it can be considered a:
a) favor
*** b) favour

3. if you score 96 out 100 on an exam, you would have received 96:
a) per cent
*** b) percent ("per cent" is British English)

4. when this is used a noun, it's spellt:
*** a) centre
b) center

5. when this is used as a verb, it's spellt:
*** a) centre
b) center

6. in october, skies are often:
a) gray
*** b) grey

7. you can watch 'hamlet' or 'monkey: journey to the west' at a:
*** a) theatre
b) theater

8. in times of war, medals are given to soldiers who display
a) valor
*** b) valour

9. ? ?
*** a) honour
b) honor

10. mattias ohlund, wade redden, and zdeno chara play
*** a) defence
b) defense

----------------

bonus questions

11. manchester united
a) are the current premier league champions
*** b) is the current premier league champions. ("are" is British English)

12. nickelback
a) are the worst canadian band in history.
*** b) is the worst canadian band in history. ("are" is British English)

13. a newspaper that describes someone suffering an injury, would likely proceed to explain that the victim was subsequently:
a) sent/rushed to the hospital
*** b) sent/rushed to hospital (I hate how this sounds, and I refuse to say it!)

14. if it's not listed as 2009.01.25 then it should be listed as:
*** a) 25.01.09 (although, in practise, I've found that Canada is very inconsistent with this)
b) 01.25.09

Back
Top Bottom