A decade of Interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your post reminds me of something, which although crude, is a valid concern with society. Why is it when im in the restroom stall I sometimes hear the person in the stall next to me talking on the phone to their wife/gf/mistress/etc? Does the person on the other end know they are having a conversation with a guy who is pinching a loaf? In these situations I try to make as much damn noise as I possibly can, disgusting, sure. But damn if I want some asshole calling me from the crapper. Oh, and I flush 5 or 6 times to make damn sure whomever is talking to the shithouse romeo knows he's calling from the john - BUSTED! There are some places technology just needs to be silenced, taking a shit, having sex would be a couple of examples. That said Im sure there are people who post on Facebook while sitting on the beach, hiking, handgliding, etc. Seems like such a waste to me, but I guess im old fashioned that way.

They can all drop their phones in the toilet, for all I care.

Schloop Dogg said he posts here while banging all our moms or something. I don't even know if I can make the joke about where the phone could fall in that situation.

a cia lurker, possibly.

now that you mention it, I think cia lurker was onto me for flood posting in quick fire bursts, in which I may have accidentally brought down the entire internet. I don't remember much about our supposed meeting, it may have taken place in a bathroom stall....though afterwards I woke up drugged and sore, and missing a kidney.

The only evidence I have is an encrypted note that warned me if I told anyone of our chance encounter, nobody would believe me. And also cia lurker would come back after my other kidney. So im basically John Lithgow, post car accident, riding on an airplane in a thunderstorm, minus a kidney.

Given that multiple close offline friends of mine are people I met on here, I find the underlined remark of yours to not make a whole lot of sense. Though I'm sure major_panic, if he still posted here much, would tell you he's not a real human being, he's a ninja.

And as someone who met their husband on this message board, I can't get behind the idea that Interference has inhibited me from experiencing life.

Well, there's no need to be offended if you two are. Not everyone who spends time here on Interference has met others offline and developed real relationships with them. I've only met other Interferencers in real life once and that was several years ago during a UF concert. I would like to see another Interference event take place in NYC again, too bad nothing is happening in the Gatherings forum.

Holy shit, I managed to conjure an increasingly rare Cin appearance! :ohmy:

I second all of this wholeheartedly.

We need to do a thing next month once I've got a bunch of work travel out of the way. It's been faaaar too long since Cin's come to Melbourne town.

:)
It's been ages since I've been to the big smoke. Generally consists of setting up stores in bland shopping centres.
But yes, I would like a bit of a catch up..a lot.

Here's what I don't understand, and please know that im only genuinely curious here, you state that before 2008 you had 10 posts per day (june 2003 - june 2008 = 5 years or 1825 days, X 10 = 18250). In the last 4 years you suggest you posted in the single figures, lets say 9 posts per day (june 2009 - june 2013 = 4 years or 1460 days x 9 = 13140). If my raw math is correct, from june 03-08 & june 09-13 that is a combined total of 31,390 posts. So, that leaves the period of June 08 - 09, and a total of 102,476 posts or 280.75 posts per day. Is this somewhat accurate?

I might have slightly under-estimated my rate of posting pre-2008 (or, more accurately, pre-Superthread). I'm fairly sure my post count was in the mid-20,000s when the Superthreads began. Many of those pre-Superthread posts were amassed very quickly in Vertigo Tour setlist parties, and I remember in late 2007/early 2008 I actually thought I was drifting away from Interference as I was barely posting. But your estimate for 2008-09 probably isn't too far off. The Superthreads began in February 2008 and the heyday lasted that whole year; it typically kicked through a thread a day, sometimes more (it achieved 309 threads in its first year), and continued to manage a thread at least every two days through to the start of 2010, when the final "revival" ended and it's been a shadow of its former self ever since. It was certainly easy to make a cool 100 posts just between dinner and bed on a lazy evening. There were many people who came and went from the group, and many who at various points in this history who posted extremely heavily, and many who have been around in some capacity or another from the start right up to now, but I think I've been the only consistently heavy poster for the whole period - and that largely explains my post count. I am pretty sure about two-thirds of my posts are in Superthreads. We are on the 432nd Superthread at the moment, and if we assume I average 200 posts per thread, that's 86,400. For the 309 Superthreads in its first year alone, 22/02/08 to 22/02/09, that's 61,800.

You can do further maths if you wish - I've got to head out now. (And the delay in the reply is explained by a work trip on which I was largely Internet-less. Protip for Australian travel: avoid visiting Wollongong.)

The name they picked for their chat thread. Bizarre City Name, Place Where It Is Superthread #2863022. For example.

It evolved out of the first round for Pop in one of EYKIW's song survivor tournaments. The thread just inexplicably took off and the discussion spilled over into other threads on other forums (we revived long-dead threads for shits and giggles and then planned the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein prank). After that we got banished to OOC and settled down into a more regular sort of chat thread, though one that was particularly active.

Back
Top Bottom