6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 06-04-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:50 PM
6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade?

Maybe both. We're at five changes of PM right now with a year left on the clock and an election on 2 July.

Hell, even if Turnbull survives the election, a rather reduced majority may embolden the "bring back Tone" lunatic fringe.

Welcome to the revolving door of modern Australian politics.

Welcome, also, to the land where you can be suspended from work for having a negative opinion on the flag, where Wayne Carey is allowed to commentate on primetime TV, where Queensland exists, where Tasmania is somehow still a state rather than a shire of Victoria, where the Great Barrier Reef is definitely absolutely certainly not under any kind of threat we promise we're not covering anything up, and where everybody is called Bruce (I don't know anybody called Bruce).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
45:33

I was in Tassie last month during the Shitbox Rally. It is fucking beautiful.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:13 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Read this interview. The setup seems mundane, but oh my god it delivers. I could not stop laughing.

When political press conferences go bad: Ian Walker's train wreck

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I was in Tassie last month during the Shitbox Rally. It is fucking beautiful.
The southern island of Victoria is really lovely isn't it?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:20 PM
I wonder if Tasmania is the sort of place NZers would feel at home at, size/weather wise.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #6

I've never been to NZ but I'd say yes. It feels like a different country.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I wonder if Tasmania is the sort of place NZers would feel at home at, size/weather wise.
Kinda sorta?

Cobbler's right that it feels like a different country. I think the comparisons to NZ can be a bit overdone - rather than being like New Zealand, it's more like an amalgam of Australia and New Zealand. The forests are closer to what you get in NZ than you do on the Australian mainland but still aren't the same. And there's actually no city in Tasmania that matches an NZ counterpart as well as some other Australian cities do: Sydney-Auckland, Melbourne-Wellington, and Adelaide-Christchurch are comparisons that hold up well. The best you can do is Hobart-Dunedin and that really doesn't work the more you unpack it (Dunedin, by virtue of its Scottishness, has no good analogue in Australia). It's more just a case of they're both nice cities to drink whisky in, somewhat left behind by the passage of time.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-04-2016, 01:11 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Yay, it's a new thread.

If Malcolm Turnbull wins the election - far from a certainty - it will be relatively narrowly and I'd expect wild weather to set in more or less immediately. With friends like the IPA, who needs enemies?
Old 06-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #9

I just want to fast-forward to election night. It's so boring. Which I expect won't bother Turnbull too much.

I can't fucking read this, but I trust that I'd agree wholeheartedly with it - https://www.crikey.com.au/2016/05/31...eaders-debate/
Old 06-04-2016, 01:49 AM   #10
Vocal parasite

I'm settling in for the long haul. A good close election season suits me. Actually a thumping Green victory romping to power on an unexpected swing is what would really suit me. But take what you can get, etc.

I love how many seats are suddenly looking marginal on latest polling. But the ALP really, really needs everything to go right here. And if Xenophon picks up a lower house seat or two, to whom will he give confidence and supply? I can't see him giving any more than that to either party. (Though the question remains whether he will have meaningful party discipline or if his members will go the way of Palmer's.)

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I love Tassie.. Went there for Falls a few years ago and for a road trip for work last year. Only scary thing is how the roads seem to suddenly jump from 40 to 110 (and that the roads probably aren't fit for travelling 110!)

Hobart and Launceston feel like larger versions of Geelong and Bendigo respectively.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin
Old 06-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

Not sure how Hobart feels like Geelong in the slightest? They strike me as very, very different cities, from culture to geography to climate to economy.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
Vocal parasite

So this is not a joke, guys: http://www.aec.gov.au/Parties_and_Re...t-or-leave.pdf

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-05-2016, 12:50 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:20 PM
It's that party lead by that crackpot who seemingly learned nothing from being on Go Back To Where You Came From.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:57 AM   #15
Vocal parasite

The logo kills me. This actually looks more like a parody than most parodies.

Gig pictures | Blog