6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favourite signatures are those where there is absolutely no connection whatsoever with their name, like a weird O with a tail, or a formless ~~~~ for somebody with a name that should have a bit of variation like Timothy.

Mine's not too bad. Some of the letters have blurred together with time but usually you can distinguish at least a bit of an attempt at each one.

Despite my own handwriting and all my time with old documents, I still get flummoxed by some styles though. Who cares how nice your writing looks if it's fucking illegible.

I'm considering adopting an 'O' in my signature, gradually, just to fuck with people. If anyone asks, I'll just say my proper name is Kieran O'McConville.

Kīèrœñ O'MåçMcCønvïllésôn.

In case you needed a name unpronounceable in any known language.

Vlad(u2), you're the resident Manic Street Preachers expert around here; can you tell me what The Girl Who Wanted To Be God is about? I like the song, really quite a lot actually, but I don't know what the fuck it's supposed to be about. Actually that applies to quite a few of their songs. Actually, pretty much all of them.

Last edited:
The title was taken from a Sylvia Plath poem, but I was never sure what it exactly meant. That's all I know. It might be one of the very few Manics tracks without a noticeable meaning, but I would imagine the chorus (assuming Nicky wrote it) might have something to do with Nicky's own disgust at being a man (see Born A Girl off This Is My Truth).

The Quietus | Features | A Quietus Interview | And If You Need An Explanation: Manic Street Preachers interviewed

This interview is pretty comprehensive but there's nothing on the song's content here.

The title was taken from a Sylvia Plath poem, but I was never sure what it exactly meant. That's all I know. It might be one of the very few Manics tracks without a noticeable meaning, but I would imagine the chorus (assuming Nicky wrote it) might have something to do with Nicky's own disgust at being a man (see Born A Girl off This Is My Truth).

The Quietus | Features | A Quietus Interview | And If You Need An Explanation: Manic Street Preachers interviewed

This interview is pretty comprehensive but there's nothing on the song's content here.

Ok, so there's a connection, that's sort of what I was getting at. I mean, he's obviously riffing off of something with the Sylvia Plath reference.

What would you actually change to, Vlad?

I seem to remember an unofficial policy that people could make changes where it was still obvious who they were, e.g. BonoManiac becoming BoMac, BonoVoxSupastar becoming BVS, etc. I recall Sicy's screen name used to be something longer too, but I think it changed either before my time or not long after I became a regular here.

That unofficial policy might date back to the Elvis days for all I know. In any case the change has to be obvious as you say (BVS took the 'KFC' route, which is, frankly, appropriate for what is surely a franchised posting outfit staffed by minimum wage workers in Bangladesh).

As I've said before, I'd happily transfer my post count to my more commonly used 'Zedbetty' identity, but it's too late to start over now.

I'm not going back to zero.

'All of Zedbetty's 'stories' HERE' doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

What would you actually change to, Vlad?

I seem to remember an unofficial policy that people could make changes where it was still obvious who they were, e.g. BonoManiac becoming BoMac, BonoVoxSupastar becoming BVS, etc. I recall Sicy's screen name used to be something longer too, but I think it changed either before my time or not long after I became a regular here.

I'd follow that trend, shorten it to something like VU2 or VU or whatever (I once considered Vladelaide).

I definitely support Vlad becoming Vladelaide.

Meanwhile, I get confused if I ever need to think of a different screen name for whatever purpose. Coming up with my professional Twitter handle was hell. I would've just revived my old Axver account there but I want to keep at least some separation between my professional and personal online presences.

God I'm sick of this winter. At least around here, it is mostly cloudy, most of the time. I can't remember the last time we had a proper sunny day, it might have been that one day in between the last system and the current system.

Mostly it's just cloudy. And dull.

God I'm sick of this winter. At least around here, it is mostly cloudy, most of the time. I can't remember the last time we had a proper sunny day, it might have been that one day in between the last system and the current system.

Mostly it's just cloudy. And dull.

Where do you live? (if you don't mind me asking)

What you described sounds more like Melbourne than Sydney... I think. :)

Oh, hahah! Those are the choices, huh?

No, I live in southern Queensland, some way north of those two places, which contrary to their inhabitants' impression, are not Australia in its entirety.

I think you will find that Australia extends between Bell Street, Coburg in the north and the Yarra River in the south.

Oh, hahah! Those are the choices, huh?

No, I live in southern Queensland, some way north of those two places, which contrary to their inhabitants' impression, are not Australia in its entirety.

I can imagine it getting on people's nerves, those who don't live in ever-popular Syd & Mel. I visited your country for the first time in Jan this year. Yes, I too am guilty of having visited only those 2 cities. But hey, I had only 2 weeks vacation at my disposal!

I can imagine it getting on people's nerves, those who don't live in ever-popular Syd & Mel. I visited your country for the first time in Jan this year. Yes, I too am guilty of having visited only those 2 cities. But hey, I had only 2 weeks vacation at my disposal!

Hey you've got to vacation somewhere.

As it happens, I once went to Sydney, but in reality I only really saw Newtown because that's where the people I was visiting lived. It was ok. Streets, buildings, you know.

You can see the Milky Way pretty much anywhere that isn't a city. Drive fifteen minutes out of Sydney (wherever that is at this point, halfway to Lake Eyre) and there you go.

That reminds me; I thought more than once that certain rightwing cranks' dreams of creating an inland Australian sea could one day be turned to the purposes of ameliorating climate-change-induced sea level rise. Simply delve great channels at both the Gulf and the Bight to flood an inland sea basin. Downsides: ruinously expensive, tectonically unpredictable, fucking insane. But I've patented the idea.

Back
Top Bottom