6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 06-15-2016, 02:18 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Haha, what the hell.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefa...Lmd#.wvY8xR5ZL

Old 06-15-2016, 02:39 AM   #107
45:33

Local Time: 12:50 AM
lololol

Old 06-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Some... person?... from a reality show is spruiking for their mate who is a Liberal candidate and presumably not a pickup artist? This sounds charming.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Election 2016: Liberal candidate Chris Jermyn may have broken the law by enrolling with phoney address
Old 06-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #110

Hilarious story.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:01 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

I will be absolutely shocked if he comes close to winning his seat.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #112
Vocal parasite

There is some cause for concern with McEwen apparently, because the firefighter's dispute at state level - which I know very little about and have essentially ignored - could be damaging to the ALP there. At least that's what I've seen a couple of people suggest.

But Jermyn is such a flog that I don't think he can win.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

'Fuck Off We're Full' And 'Feck Off We're Full' Parties Locked In Bitter Ideological Dispute
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Nice rundown on the parties on your site, Axver; I have been (relatively) faithfully reading them as they appear. Like you I find myself curious that among minor/microparties, the ones with a vaguely left-'progressive' veneer tend to be almost all identity-focused and, not only uninterested in economic questions, but probably if you scratched them, actively comfortable with the prevailing consensus (when they're not on the libertarian train).

I did pause for a second when I read that Geert Wilders was one of Holland's more unfortunate experts, but then I realised you meant exports. In any case, I'm totally voting for Angry Anderson.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #115

How come Queensland is our most conservative state and nearly every seat belongs to a Liberal MP, yet at the state level there's been a ton of ALP Premiers?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:25 PM   #116
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Nice rundown on the parties on your site, Axver; I have been (relatively) faithfully reading them as they appear. Like you I find myself curious that among minor/microparties, the ones with a vaguely left-'progressive' veneer tend to be almost all identity-focused and, not only uninterested in economic questions, but probably if you scratched them, actively comfortable with the prevailing consensus (when they're not on the libertarian train).

I did pause for a second when I read that Geert Wilders was one of Holland's more unfortunate experts, but then I realised you meant exports. In any case, I'm totally voting for Angry Anderson.
Thanks - and good catch on the typo. I can't believe I missed that, since I would've proofread the entry at least three times! And yeah it's weird how there's so little economic interest from left/progressive micros. I went (with Cobbler) to a debate on Thursday night between five minor parties. What stuck out really strongly to me was that I could not figure out why the Equality Party needed to be separate from the Greens, as their representative spent almost all of his time agreeing with Jason Ball (Greens candidate for Higgins, who was really outstanding). Only occasionally did one or two of the Equality guy's wishy-washy comments seem closer to the Sex Party candidate. Is there really anybody who thinks the Greens are insufficiently serious about marriage equality that we need a new party gunning specifically and primarily for that reform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
How come Queensland is our most conservative state and nearly every seat belongs to a Liberal MP, yet at the state level there's been a ton of ALP Premiers?
Queensland can swing hard. The ALP also does well with the heavy industry parts of the state for obvious working class/union reasons. While their vote concentrates on the capital cities of most states, in Queensland the ALP is a serious chance of winning regional seats right up the coast, especially if they are concentrated on a major port. (That in part reflects Queensland's history as the only state - other than Tasmania - where settlement occurred from multiple points at once rather than fanning out from one main colonial foothold.)

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:14 AM   #117

There's no clips on youtube, but I highly, highly recommend watching these if you haven't already, extremely funny

Sammy J's Playground Politics: Latest Episodes : ABC iview
Old 06-18-2016, 01:23 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Also Queensland has a long tradition of near single-party rule (and it was a Labor government that saw to the suicide of the upper house, in those days a house of landed and propertied interests). Between the first world war and the mid 1950s ALP split, Labor had an almost unbroken hold on power. The same has held true again since 1989, with the exception of the short and unhappy Borbidge and Newman interregnums.

I'm not convinced that Queensland is more conservative so much as more decentralised. Like Axver alluded. More significant rural populations, but more widespread historically union-working class centres of power. Without the infamous gerrymander, it's doubtful the 32-year National Party regime would have lasted anything like as long as it did. Well, without the Split, it's doubtful they would have gotten the chance.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:27 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
What stuck out really strongly to me was that I could not figure out why the Equality Party needed to be separate from the Greens, as their representative spent almost all of his time agreeing with Jason Ball (Greens candidate for Higgins, who was really outstanding). Only occasionally did one or two of the Equality guy's wishy-washy comments seem closer to the Sex Party candidate. Is there really anybody who thinks the Greens are insufficiently serious about marriage equality that we need a new party gunning specifically and primarily for that reform?

Maybe they're vanity exercises. Cause otherwise, yeah, why not just swing in behind the Greens and help elect their candidate? Maybe it's personal in some cases.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Did you know that Sir Joh's 'successor' in Barambah, Trevor Perrett, won as a Citizens Electoral Council member? He later defected to the Nats and was a short lived minister for primary industries under Borbidge until an unfortunate connection to a dead hooker made the news.