6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:01 PM
I have no idea where my meat comes from, that's kind of up to the chef. Sorry, that came out wrong; my chef.

I don't honestly care for fish all that much, maybe once in a blue moon I'll have some.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm pretty amused that he held that press conference to announce his party's tilt at this election... only to then vanish. Seems contrary to his motivational philosophy!
Maybe he's dead.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #93
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:01 PM
But he's got an education - for LIFE!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sadly Jamie Mcintyre is helping the authorities in the Congo with their enquiries right now.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #95
45:33

Some of what y'all post here is too dense for me owenothaveasleepingemoticon?:

Glad your party reviews are back though, hopefully you get some hits.

Finally, I'm watching Utopia randomly. Amazing how good it is.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:59 AM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I dare someone to start an Australian Election 'poll' thread in FYM.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:20 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Speaking of this thread title, it's mildly mind boggling to me that until well into high school, I'd lived through no more than two primeministerships (Fraser and Hawke, the former of which I had no memory). Even when I was 28 or 29, it was still only a total of four.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:30 AM   #98
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Glad your party reviews are back though, hopefully you get some hits.

Finally, I'm watching Utopia randomly. Amazing how good it is.
Cheers man. I'm no good at the self-promotion aspect, so I was pleasantly surprised that last time I got some reads beyond my own friendship circle!

And Utopia is fucking amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Speaking of this thread title, it's mildly mind boggling to me that until well into high school, I'd lived through no more than two primeministerships (Fraser and Hawke, the former of which I had no memory). Even when I was 28 or 29, it was still only a total of four.
I can't believe I lived in this country for a decade before I got to experience a change in Prime Minister or an ALP government. My teenage years were ones of political stability - the decade before, when I was in New Zealand, was somewhat like the most recent ten years: there were five separate PMs, four before I turned four.

It's funny to look at the upheavals of that period of New Zealand politics, because since Helen Clark won the 1999 election, the only change in PM was when John Key won 2008. Will Australia eventually return to long-term stability? Well, I suppose of course it will, but when? Because I do not expect stability if Turnbull retains power with a reduced majority.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-14-2016, 03:30 AM   #99

This is absolutely insane Election 2016: Flux Party runs Senate candidates who will vote based on app polls - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:31 AM   #100

It is incredibly frustrating to watch, because they get it so right.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:33 AM   #101
Vocal parasite

These guys aren't the only ones proposing this either, and we've had minor parties pushing this barrow for a while. Senator Online ran last time - I think they competed in 2010 too.

It's a stupid idea in whatever form it's proposed.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-14-2016, 03:34 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Cheers man. I'm no good at the self-promotion aspect, so I was pleasantly surprised that last time I got some reads beyond my own friendship circle!

And Utopia is fucking amazing.

I can't believe I lived in this country for a decade before I got to experience a change in Prime Minister or an ALP government. My teenage years were ones of political stability - the decade before, when I was in New Zealand, was somewhat like the most recent ten years: there were five separate PMs, four before I turned four.

It's funny to look at the upheavals of that period of New Zealand politics, because since Helen Clark won the 1999 election, the only change in PM was when John Key won 2008. Will Australia eventually return to long-term stability? Well, I suppose of course it will, but when? Because I do not expect stability if Turnbull retains power with a reduced majority.
I think, much as we (I) might have little enthusiasm for him, a Shorten primeministership might end up being one for the long haul. Labor has more or less gotten past the craziness of the Rudd/Gillard years, too much is at stake to blow it again. If it's Turnbull and the Coalition back on a lower majority, it will be fireworks alright.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:35 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't understand people who don't understand or want representative democracy, who then run for office.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:40 AM   #104
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I think, much as we (I) might have little enthusiasm for him, a Shorten primeministership might end up being one for the long haul. Labor has more or less gotten past the craziness of the Rudd/Gillard years, too much is at stake to blow it again. If it's Turnbull and the Coalition back on a lower majority, it will be fireworks alright.
Put it this way - I'd expect Shorten to see out the three-year term. He will then have the incumbent's advantage, but any victory would be by a narrow margin (or depend on the crossbench), so I could see him being defeated in 2019.

But assuming he can actually win elections, yeah, I think he's the only one of the two who can do the long haul. Can you even imagine the tensions within the Liberal Party if they have only a 2-3 seat majority? Especially if the Nats for once stick to their convictions and cross the floor on a key item of legislation?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-14-2016, 03:45 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I would be amazed if the Nats ever actually crossed the floor on anything of substance. Though, that said, there's a non-zero chance that they'll be under a different leader after 2 July, so who can tell.

Yeah, Shorten would need to show some chops in the election winning department. It would take one full term and a win, after that he could be well entrenched (or as well as anyone can be in the likely future of razor-thin margins or coalition arrangements).