6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:45 AM
Oh jesus, it's an attack on freedom now. Shut up, Turnbull. Just shut up.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #77
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
To be honest, my personal preferences and my strategising are more or less one and the same. I'd maybe not love, but I would genuinely prefer an economic populist in the Katter mould - for instance - to any possible LNP member. And if this was still the days of Nationals vs Liberals, I'd probably slightly prefer the National to the Liberal. Especially if they were the Tony-Windsor kind of National. I'd prefer a Greens or Labor member to either or any, but hey, there you go. Admittedly I would not genuinely prefer a Rise Up Australia to the LNP, that is pure strategy.

The senate is (or was) a different situation, and I'd not want my vote there to help elect another Steve Fielding or the like. If memory serves me I've usually just gone with Labor or the Greens as much as possible. Then moving on to whatever minor-party or independent seems least offensive or mildly benign.

Between you and me and the rest of this board, I'm still kind of fuzzy on the senate voting reforms even after your cliff notes for Cobl4.
Oh yes, in 2013 I put Katter's mob above the Coalition, and within the Coalition I preference Nats ahead of Libs. The Nats at least have some abiding belief in the state provision of essential services. Small l-liberals ostensibly veer much closer to my beliefs on social issues, but the context of their party means that they can't achieve much at all at a federal level in that regard.

Speaking of Tony Windsor, looks like he's getting ALP preferences in New England. I'm surprised, by the way, that Rob Oakeshott is having another tilt. I expect Windsor could win his seat, but I doubt Oakeshott has a chance - especially as he is running for Cowper rather than his old seat of Lyne, because a redistribution has placed his house in Cowper. He may poll strongly at Port Macquarie booths but I doubt he has a chance further north where the only thing anybody will know him for is his longwinded speech supporting Gillard.

Quote:
Oh fuck off Turnbull for making any comment at all on that mass shooting in Orlando. It's got nothing to do with you, or this election. Just fuck off with the mealy-mouthed cant.

"Please remember to be very afraid. Insert vague warning here. Standing firm. Permanent war. Vote for me."
"Let me say to you, what happened in Orlando is a great tragedy. Jobs and growth."

"The truth of the matter is, what happened in Orlando is a great tragedy. 100 positive policies."

Old 06-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Speaking of Tony Windsor, looks like he's getting ALP preferences in New England. I'm surprised, by the way, that Rob Oakeshott is having another tilt. I expect Windsor could win his seat, but I doubt Oakeshott has a chance - especially as he is running for Cowper rather than his old seat of Lyne, because a redistribution has placed his house in Cowper. He may poll strongly at Port Macquarie booths but I doubt he has a chance further north where the only thing anybody will know him for is his longwinded speech supporting Gillard.
I hope Windsor does manage to get up. Whatever else he did in public life, he called Tony Abbott, nailed him to the wall, years before anyone in the press dared to think it. He deserves a medal for delaying the Abbott Government by three years. It would be simply delicious to see that walking shill Barnaby Joyce turfed out of political life for good. Then he might have more time to spend being spiritual mentor to Gina Rinehart or whatever.

Oakeshott didn't strike me as a terribly convincing politician, and I doubt we'll be hearing from him again after 2 July.

Quote:
"Let me say to you, what happened in Orlando is a great tragedy. Jobs and growth."

"The truth of the matter is, what happened in Orlando is a great tragedy. 100 positive policies."

What happened in Orlando is a great tragedy, much like this government. Jobs and growth, stop the boats, axe the tax, ditch the witch.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Literally the next moment Turnbull is bragging about how good he did on the NBN.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Literally the next moment Turnbull is bragging about how good he did on the NBN.
If I was Malcolm Turnbull, I'd be hoping very hard that people did not remember the NBN.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Additionally, the gall he has to suggest his government is stable. Mate, you haven't been PM for a year yet, and by low bourgeois democratic standards you haven't even been elected yet.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Additionally, the gall he has to suggest his government is stable. Mate, you haven't been PM for a year yet, and by low bourgeois democratic standards you haven't even been elected yet.

Perhaps he meant it in the 'serious but stable' sense.

'My government is in a serious but stable condition.'
Old 06-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #83
Vocal parasite

I've loaded up the minor party review bus: Blatantly Partisan Party Reviews

Spread it far and wide, if you should be so inclined. I'll be reviewing all parties in the country, not just those in Victoria (though I will only do Senate independents in Victoria, and I may feature that batty Wills independent for the fun of it).

Quote:
I hope Windsor does manage to get up. Whatever else he did in public life, he called Tony Abbott, nailed him to the wall, years before anyone in the press dared to think it. He deserves a medal for delaying the Abbott Government by three years. It would be simply delicious to see that walking shill Barnaby Joyce turfed out of political life for good. Then he might have more time to spend being spiritual mentor to Gina Rinehart or whatever.

Oakeshott didn't strike me as a terribly convincing politician, and I doubt we'll be hearing from him again after 2 July.
Yep, I don't know why Oakeshott is wasting his time or money. If Windsor receives good preference flows, I think he's a real chance of beating Barnaby. He ought to sweep the Armidale booths - it's a question of how well he can pull the rest of the electorate.

At work we've decided Barnaby most closely resembles an alcoholic toad.

Quote:
If I was Malcolm Turnbull, I'd be hoping very hard that people did not remember the NBN.
No shit. It's such a good angle of attack for the ALP.

Quote:
Is he actually this stupid.

I mean, we all thought he was the halfway sensible and savvy one.

Quote:
Perhaps he meant it in the 'serious but stable' sense.

'My government is in a serious but stable condition.'
Old 06-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I've loaded up the minor party review bus: Blatantly Partisan Party Reviews

Spread it far and wide, if you should be so inclined. I'll be reviewing all parties in the country, not just those in Victoria (though I will only do Senate independents in Victoria, and I may feature that batty Wills independent for the fun of it).
Awesome; are you remembering to review the 'Full' party (fuck off we're full)?

Quote:
At work we've decided Barnaby most closely resembles an alcoholic toad.
As I quipped to a colleague (kidding, I don't have colleagues), his blood content was registered as 90% chilli sauce.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh the Animal Justice Party... that makes me think of the West Wing episode where CJ Cregg barely contained her shit as a team of extremely stern researchers proposed a multi-billion dollar 'wolf highway' for a certain wolf whose name I've forgotten now. Not that I don't care about animals, but in the universe where single-payer healthcare is a non-starter, I'm afraid Lum-Lum or whatever its name is, is quite shit out of luck.

I'm with you on the unwillingness of certain quarters to recognise that historically (extremely historically) meat of various kinds has made up some of the diet of the human animal. That's not a conversation some want to have. And it's a separate conversation to that around factory farming and the like.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #86
Vocal parasite

I've got a mate who's a member of the AJP. It's weird, he'll be handling out how-to-vote cards for them on election day, wrote his thesis on animal rights activism, etc., and yet he's never ever been evangelical about it towards me. Doesn't even say anything when I eat meat in front of him.

Honestly, goddamnit man, I want a debate here!

Quote:
Awesome; are you remembering to review the 'Full' party (fuck off we're full)?
If I've got time after all the registered parties and Victorian independents, they're first on the list.

Oh who am I kidding? Of course I'll find time.

Just drafted the DLP. Ughhh. I find them so goddamn boring. I can't even bring myself to be outraged.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Harsh words for Jamie McIntyre and his 21st Century Australia School of Results.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I've got a mate who's a member of the AJP. It's weird, he'll be handling out how-to-vote cards for them on election day, wrote his thesis on animal rights activism, etc., and yet he's never ever been evangelical about it towards me. Doesn't even say anything when I eat meat in front of him.

Honestly, goddamnit man, I want a debate here!

If I've got time after all the registered parties and Victorian independents, they're first on the list.

Oh who am I kidding? Of course I'll find time.

Just drafted the DLP. Ughhh. I find them so goddamn boring. I can't even bring myself to be outraged.
My grandfather was a DLP man back in the days when that mattered (1950s/60s). Labor really fucked up there for fifteen years or so, unavoidably probably, there's that Irish Catholic state-within-a-state again with a little help from the incredibly sinister BA Santamaria (and I'm a Catholic for fucks' sake).
Old 06-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
He is obviously more subtle and reserved than many internet commenters.

I'll admit it depends on the meat. Rightly or wrongly (leaving aside the live exports debacle) it seems to me that a lot of beef cattle in this country have quite ok lives compared to in the UK or US. When it comes to fishing, I suspect we're just emptying the oceans out, and it won't matter much in a few decades.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #90
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Harsh words for Jamie McIntyre and his 21st Century Australia School of Results.
I'm pretty amused that he held that press conference to announce his party's tilt at this election... only to then vanish. Seems contrary to his motivational philosophy!

Quote:
He is obviously more subtle and reserved than many internet commenters.

I'll admit it depends on the meat. Rightly or wrongly (leaving aside the live exports debacle) it seems to me that a lot of beef cattle in this country have quite ok lives compared to in the UK or US. When it comes to fishing, I suspect we're just emptying the oceans out, and it won't matter much in a few decades.
Sometimes I'm tempted to bait him, because I really would like to draw him out on some issues, but... I can't bring myself to be a total dick to somebody who's a really good friend.

Fish is the one meat I don't eat - but that's because I'm allergic to it. I say I wouldn't eat it even if I could, because it is so breathtakingly destructive at commercial levels, but it's hard to know. I would probably eat fish caught recreationally but not those caught by commercial trawlers.

I do prefer whenever possible to make sure my meat is free range, sustainable, ethical, all that guff. Partly because I have a conscience; partly because it tastes better.