6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 10-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #736
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Spot on. I'm all ears... but it's going to take something very attractive for me to consider knocking back the redundancy payout.
Maybe you could beat the crap out of yourself in the boss's suite like Edward Norton in Fight Club. Permanent home based income.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #737
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
No idea. It was strange because two days earlier I was actually feeling very secure in my job. I don't like about 60-70 per cent of my work and whilst it isn't great pay, the amount of money I'm getting when I'm only doing about 20 hours' worth of work per week was awesome and the hours allow me to pursue other things with ease during the day and effectively get paid for it. So that's why I was staying put.

This news came out of nowhere. I'd like to take the money, pay off my personal loan and then go and spend Xmas / NYE with Em in France & Estonia. After that, who knows. It will be exceptionally hard to find a full-time job that I actually want to do. I think I could find a FT gig doing local sports journalism or local news but I'm not really interested in that. So who knows. Maybe some freelance plus a PT shitkicking writing gig plus Uber? Maybe I'll pack it in and go back to uni and study teaching. No idea.

For most of my life things have fallen in my lap so we'll see if that continues.
Sounds like a good plan to just go away for a bit and get some space to think about what you really want to do. Though I would've thought you'd enjoy local sports journalism? You're always a vocal supporter of the virtues of amateur leagues and the like.

The uncertainty's never fun though. At least not to me. Next couple of months I'm going to find out if I've succeeded in taking the next step for an academic career. I've definitely got a good couple of years up my sleeve to keep trying before I'll need to seriously assess my options, but I have kept an eye on other career paths - university bureaucracy, public service, that sort of thing. I haven't spoken a whole lot about it, but I've been working in public policy lately and although it's boring, very far from my passion in history, I am increasingly coming to enjoy the influence. I know I don't want to run for elected office, but I could be content as a sort of "faceless man", you know?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #738
Vocal parasite

Family First's Bob Day has quit the Senate because his building company has gone into liquidation.

It looks like he's quit before being forced to leave, because he is personally liable for a large amount of the debt. If you become insolvent or bankrupt your seat automatically becomes vacant.

Wow.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #739
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:35 AM
You can start your own think tank. Institute of Trains, Shoegaze and History Craze.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:20 PM   #740
Vocal parasite

I have thought of buying an island in Bass Strait and starting my own university. I'll call it the University of Melbourne (South). It will have the Faculty of Shoegaze, Faculty of New Zealand History, Faculty of Railways, and Faculty of No Tories.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #741
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

There was a time in my life when I might - might, I say - have ended up as one of those people who work in the offices of members of parliament. I can't think of anything more boring and soul consuming. I'd start my own political party (which for an extreme introvert is a difficult proposition unless you're Adolf Hitler) before I'd go there.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #742
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I have thought of buying an island in Bass Strait and starting my own university. I'll call it the University of Melbourne (South). It will have the Faculty of Shoegaze, Faculty of New Zealand History, Faculty of Railways, and Faculty of No Tories.
Don't forget the Faculty of Philosophy. Rule one, no pooftas. Rule two, nobody is to be caught not drinking after lights out.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #743
Blue Crack Addict

Faculty of Shoegaze will have a project revolving around Swervedriver's Mezcal Head and the analysis of their influences relative to their other shoegaze contemporaries.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #744
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Sounds like a good plan to just go away for a bit and get some space to think about what you really want to do. Though I would've thought you'd enjoy local sports journalism? You're always a vocal supporter of the virtues of amateur leagues and the like.

The uncertainty's never fun though. At least not to me. Next couple of months I'm going to find out if I've succeeded in taking the next step for an academic career. I've definitely got a good couple of years up my sleeve to keep trying before I'll need to seriously assess my options, but I have kept an eye on other career paths - university bureaucracy, public service, that sort of thing. I haven't spoken a whole lot about it, but I've been working in public policy lately and although it's boring, very far from my passion in history, I am increasingly coming to enjoy the influence. I know I don't want to run for elected office, but I could be content as a sort of "faceless man", you know?
I enjoy it but a) there's not much upward mobility aside from maybe, just maybe, landing a HS/Age sports gig, but they're shrinking too b) the only people who give a shit are the people involved with the clubs so you often feeling like you're writing to no one and c) it is very repetitive and can get boring and it would burn me out pretty quickly. This has given me an idea though, perhaps I could write about AFL Women's somewhere...

I hope things work out for you, I hope you get an academic gig! Is the book bringing in any money? I will endeavour to buy a copy next time I'm at Readings.

Public sector is something I'd consider. Maybe Council PR. You could definitely be a faceless man. I'd love that.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #745
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Don't forget the Faculty of Philosophy. Rule one, no pooftas. Rule two, nobody is to be caught not drinking after lights out.
Rule six, there is no rule six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Faculty of Shoegaze will have a project revolving around Swervedriver's Mezcal Head and the analysis of their influences relative to their other shoegaze contemporaries.
There will be an entire subject dedicated to studying how The Verve were so awesome despite Richard Ashcroft.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-17-2016, 12:55 AM   #746
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I enjoy it but a) there's not much upward mobility aside from maybe, just maybe, landing a HS/Age sports gig, but they're shrinking too b) the only people who give a shit are the people involved with the clubs so you often feeling like you're writing to no one and c) it is very repetitive and can get boring and it would burn me out pretty quickly. This has given me an idea though, perhaps I could write about AFL Women's somewhere...

I hope things work out for you, I hope you get an academic gig! Is the book bringing in any money? I will endeavour to buy a copy next time I'm at Readings.

Public sector is something I'd consider. Maybe Council PR. You could definitely be a faceless man. I'd love that.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to be in journalism right now with the way the sector is contracting. I joke that I had a lot of foresight in 2004 when I decided not to pursue it as my degree (when I went to UQ's Open Day I actually went there to find out about their Bachelor of Journalism, not anything to do with history or politics). But the joke's on me because I've gone into a field where the job opportunities are so bad they make journalism look bountiful. But I'm bloodyminded and stubborn enough to make this academic lark work. And, to be quite honest, I've been fucking lucky in how good my connections are. Like what you said earlier, a whole bunch of things have just fallen in my lap.

I actually waived away a large chunk of my book's royalties in exchange for the publisher covering certain costs most publishers don't normally cover. I did the numbers and I'm actually winning financially from that deal, so that's cool. Only if the book becomes a sleeper hit will I start to make money from it.

I'm sure you could even do state government media/PR. I suppose the problem with any job like that, though, is you're stuck working for the government of the day. The sort of positions I could get wouldn't be too negatively affected - parliaments employ armies of researchers - but media and PR always has to serve the agenda of the sitting government. Council PR probably a safer bet, especially if you went Moreland or Yarra. I have a friend who works for City of Yarra and she loves it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #747

Surely if you work for Dan Andrews and he loses office you still remain his PR in opposition?

and Vlad in answer to your question one of Em's best friends is Estonian. fuck it'll be cold but
Old 10-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #748
Vocal parasite

Depends who you work for. If you work for Dandrews himself as part of his office, then yes, you're an employee of the party and work for him as long as he has a seat in parliament. If you work in the public service, you serve the government of the day. They produce any communication you'd have seen branded as coming directly from the state government, not a specific person/party (and in theory it's meant to be non-partisan in presentation, to communicate what the government is doing, but in practice carefully massaged if not outright abused).

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-17-2016, 01:13 AM   #749

OHHHHHH right. I totally did not know what "public service" actually meant holy shit hahaha
Old 10-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #750
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Surely if you work for Dan Andrews and he loses office you still remain his PR in opposition?

and Vlad in answer to your question one of Em's best friends is Estonian. fuck it'll be cold but
Nice, it'll be cold but it's a pretty small country (entire population something like one third of Melbourne's) and would make for a relaxed time there.