6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 49 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 10-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #721
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:25 AM
Looks from Wikipedia that Christensen came via local government. George "I'm definitely more of a fuckwit than you" Christensen: an inspiring tale of great local government.

You have to wonder where to for both of these parties, especially the Libs, because the young talent is increasingly detached from reality. Will they shift the goalposts and we end up with a deeply unpleasant society driven by politics of fear and envy, or will they condemn themselves to irrelevance?

I do find it amusing that the Libs love to accuse the left of the "politics of envy" when it's really their side who practice it best, envious that anybody else may get the opportunities or access to which they consider themselves worthy by birthright.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #722
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:25 AM
There's a certain kind of local government councillor who is pretty much just there to run for preselection for the Nationals/Liberals/LNP. Our George is obviously a fine example.

I don't know where to from here, either.

Considering that really bad times haven't quite bitten in this country for a quarter century (though they are definitely a'nibbling around the edges), I'd not discount 'deeply unpleasant society driven by politics of fear and envy' as an option. But not the only option. A lot depends.

The 'politics of envy' is when the proles fight back. When its our (ie. their) side, it's just business.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #723
Vocal parasite

It seems to me the two most common kinds of local councillor are a). people of all parties using it as a stepping stone to the big leagues, or b). people whose aspirations to higher office were thwarted so they lead years of mediocrity bumbling about the town hall. The person genuinely passionate about their local community is not as half as common as the lies about having genuine passion for their local community.

It's another reason I'm so apathetic about my local election this coming Saturday.

Maybe I should get excited though. One of the lunatics I profiled for the federal election, Francesco Timpano, is running for my council. Just not in my ward. But apparently all-caps are in and the Greens are the next war criminals. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #724
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Is he the guy who had a lot of videos where he talks about sheeple needing to wake up? As far as I'm concerned, ALL CAPS are always in.

The actual local honest-to-god community workers do exist, but it's true that they are standouts in the crowd. They do exist though. Many a mayor has served terms that would make Menzies look like Tony Abbott, and it's not always aggrandisement (sometimes nobody else wanted the job enough).

My favourite - you get this a bit more in my corner of the world - is council candidates who run on 'family values' and such, apparently oblivious that actual rural/semi-rural councils are mostly concerned with sewerage, roads, recreation centres and the like.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #725
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have to say though, Francesco Timpano is sort of on the money with his January 5 update (no caps):

Quote:
What a bunch of space wasting middle class media junkie losers. I have watched the video & read the transcript. And that's front page news? That’s what bothers and interests people? The media making the media the victim wow! While the world is coming apart in Europe and the Middle East this clumsy invitation for a post game drink is "News". Has Australia lost all sense of proportion and what is important?

Why do I get the impression Australia is being colonized by media wankers that make the controlled Egyptian and Russian Media look enlightened & free.
(I actually have no idea what this was in reference to, but down with that sort of thing.)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #726
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm pretty sure I don't want to even click on a Guardian (not their fault this time) article entitled 'Welfare mentality' must end: Coalition responds to report on rising poverty.

They are out of touch and out of time. This shit won't wash when the unemployment rate passes 20%. Automation is coming. It's not all cutesy conveniences like Uber, it's mass unemployment and it is coming.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #727
Vocal parasite

Yes, I see the Coalition are again on their "just get a damn job!" high horse, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there are a great many more unemployed people than there are jobs, and that many who are employed are under-employed.

Also, on this topic - Cobbler, if you're around, I was sorry to hear of your redundancy. Is it effective immediately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
My favourite - you get this a bit more in my corner of the world - is council candidates who run on 'family values' and such, apparently oblivious that actual rural/semi-rural councils are mostly concerned with sewerage, roads, recreation centres and the like.
Haha yep, and then there are the religious lunatics down here trying to take over councils in Melbourne's southeast. They're the Rise Up Australia types rather than the rural "family values" conservatives. I suppose it makes a slight bit more sense because councils are involved in granting permission for houses of worship, but fuck me, if your motivation for running for local office is because you have a visceral dislike for mosques, or for people worshipping a deity other than yours, then you have some serious problems.

My own local council is super leftie, to the point that Moreland Town Hall has pride flags and a banner that "Moreland welcomes refugees and asylum seekers". Great guys, because you can do literally nothing about marriage equality or refugee policy. But I do appreciate the symbolic value, and the worth in creating a welcoming community for groups that experience marginalisation or discrimination elsewhere.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #728
45:33

I've got four weeks left. I'm quite worried that they are going to try to force me into a 'redeployment opportunity', when I am already resolved to taking the money and running. Thanks tho.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #729
Vocal parasite

What do you want to do after this? Or are you not thinking that far yet?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #730
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

What does a redeployment mean? Forcing you to take some other position and keep working for one of their other media tentacles or something?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #731
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
My own local council is super leftie, to the point that Moreland Town Hall has pride flags and a banner that "Moreland welcomes refugees and asylum seekers".

Great guys, because you can do literally nothing about marriage equality or refugee policy. But I do appreciate the symbolic value, and the worth in creating a welcoming community for groups that experience marginalisation or discrimination elsewhere.

I guess they could always secede.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #732
Vocal parasite

I'm happy to join the movement for an independent Democratic People's Republic of Moreland.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #733
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
What do you want to do after this? Or are you not thinking that far yet?
No idea. It was strange because two days earlier I was actually feeling very secure in my job. I don't like about 60-70 per cent of my work and whilst it isn't great pay, the amount of money I'm getting when I'm only doing about 20 hours' worth of work per week was awesome and the hours allow me to pursue other things with ease during the day and effectively get paid for it. So that's why I was staying put.

This news came out of nowhere. I'd like to take the money, pay off my personal loan and then go and spend Xmas / NYE with Em in France & Estonia. After that, who knows. It will be exceptionally hard to find a full-time job that I actually want to do. I think I could find a FT gig doing local sports journalism or local news but I'm not really interested in that. So who knows. Maybe some freelance plus a PT shitkicking writing gig plus Uber? Maybe I'll pack it in and go back to uni and study teaching. No idea.

For most of my life things have fallen in my lap so we'll see if that continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
What does a redeployment mean? Forcing you to take some other position and keep working for one of their other media tentacles or something?
Spot on. I'm all ears... but it's going to take something very attractive for me to consider knocking back the redundancy payout.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #734
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Why Estonia specifically? I know Tallinn is nice, but France and Estonia are two fascinating choices together.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #735
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

All I know is that while I've never been officially anything (very unusual working life here), for about 4 years at the turn of the century I was essentially doing exactly the sort of stuff that a young local rural newspaper reporter would be doing... and my everfucking Christ, did I hate it. Never, ever, ever again.

I'm self-employed, which is to say, more or less unemployable (in a conventional organisation anyhow). The spare time it affords me is very important, and a tradeoff for never being more than tolerably monied. That said I don't really recommend it. Without a couple of longstanding, more or less permanent relationships that I have been able to maintain, it would be very scary and dicey indeed.

Good luck in your future career deliberations!