6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #571
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:42 PM
I can only imagine.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #572
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm more concerned about condemning the athletes to the Gold Coast. Nobody deserves that.
whenever i think of athletes and the gold coast, i think of this oldie but goodie:

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #573
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:42 PM
What the fuck dos I just watch.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #574
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:42 AM
it's a parody of a real video (only the voiceover was changed) announcing the new gold coast nrl team from something like five or six years ago.

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #575
45:33

6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade?

Tanya Plibersek just put up the most bizarre anti-Greens FB post. How disappointing.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:05 AM   #576
Vocal parasite

And the hardcore anti-Green ALP Right members that I know are sharing the shit out of it.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #577

Nice to see that all the top comments are pretty scathing.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:47 AM   #578
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 PM
The word "populist" has become so overused and is supposedly synonymous with everything that's not in the limited ballpark that consists of the ALP and the LNP.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #579
Vocal parasite

You can't simultaneously accuse a party of having a ceiling of 10% support and accuse it of being populist. It doesn't work that way! Pick one!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-25-2016, 05:53 AM   #580

It was her euphemism for all social media being full of lefty loonies.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #581
Vocal parasite

I do get why Plibersek is jumping on this - her seat is under greater threat from the Greens than the Libs.

But I can't wait for an ALP member to come out and say they'd rather work with the Libs than the Greens. Imagine the field day that will follow that.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #582
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

'Populist' is mostly code for 'outside the bipartisan consensus'. That said, of course there is a political history of (mostly right-) populism both here and in the US which is its own peculiar beast and has certain common traits. But I'll wager this has nothing to do with our talking point of the day from Ms Plibersek.

In any case, even in the way she probably meant it, this label is less and less true of the Greens at the federal level. For better or for worse. If they were truly populist, I think Labor would have a hell of a lot to worry about.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #583
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

There is only one path back from the precipice, such as it is, for Labor (I mean, the Greens represent a pretty minor threat outside of certain inner city areas which just happen to also house senior Labor figures); appropriation. I won't hold my breath.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 AM   #584
Vocal parasite

I fully expect that the next generation of senior ALP figures will all be given outer suburban electorates rather than the inner city gifts they used to get. The Albo of 2036 won't be trying to secure Grayndler, let me tell you that.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #585
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh hell no.

It's a tricky time for them, geographically, because as I say, it's not clear to me that the Greens overall represent more than nuisance value. They've plateaued but they're not going anywhere very interesting. I think Bob Brown had this much right: either you aspire to be some day a governing party, or you just kind of putter along (I'm putting words in his mouth, what he actually said was that on his watch he wanted the party to be a party of government, and I'm not so clear that his successors see it that way). Compare this to Labor's own very early history: the first national Labor governments were formed -however briefly - within two decades of the 1891 founding.