6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 06-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #31
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:45 PM
I'm really interested in the three-cornered races this year to see how many Lib preferences go to the Nats and vice versa, and how many leak elsewhere. For instance, I expect Indi to be very interesting. It's going to be McGowan vs boorish Nat, so Mirabella will come third. Lib HTVs will suggest preferences to the Nats, but how many will break to McGowan? I am worried that Indi will return to the Coalition, because McGowan did pick up a fairly sizeable vote in 2013 of people who hated Mirabella and didn't have a Nat to vote for instead.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Bill's really grown accustomed to using the phrase 'the truth of the matter is' on a constant basis.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm really interested in the three-cornered races this year to see how many Lib preferences go to the Nats and vice versa, and how many leak elsewhere. For instance, I expect Indi to be very interesting. It's going to be McGowan vs boorish Nat, so Mirabella will come third. Lib HTVs will suggest preferences to the Nats, but how many will break to McGowan? I am worried that Indi will return to the Coalition, because McGowan did pick up a fairly sizeable vote in 2013 of people who hated Mirabella and didn't have a Nat to vote for instead.
I'm so out of the loop that I thought the Coalition had put three-cornered-contests behind them to some extent. Shows what I know I guess. Well in Indi, who knows what might happen. I could be wrong but I have read whisperings of discontent about McGowan since she got in (ie. her siding with the Abbott government on most matters; that is not what a lot of her supporters put her in there for).
Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Bill's really grown accustomed to using the phrase 'the truth of the matter is' on a constant basis.
He has? I hadn't noticed. Then again, I don't watch TV anymore. Oh, I watch certain isolated shows that I hear about, but not tv, tv.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #35
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I'm so out of the loop that I thought the Coalition had put three-cornered-contests behind them to some extent. Shows what I know I guess. Well in Indi, who knows what might happen. I could be wrong but I have read whisperings of discontent about McGowan since she got in (ie. her siding with the Abbott government on most matters; that is not what a lot of her supporters put her in there for).
I actually thought the discontent ran the other way, that there was suspicion she had too much sympathy with urban lefties (there were definitely a bunch of city-dwelling kids born in Indi who went back there in 2013 to work on her campaign) and a worry that in a hung parliament she would side with the ALP. At any rate, Mirabella's attempt to return to politics is already dead with the Coalition putting all its energy into the Nat guy, name I forget, fuckwit who once ran for Family First and made a comment about how some voters would be pleased to vote for a man.

And the Coalition permit three-cornered contests when there is no incumbent member of either party. So they don't run against sitting members of the other party but that's it. (Which gets back to a similar arrangement being unsuitable for the Greens.)

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
He has? I hadn't noticed. Then again, I don't watch TV anymore. Oh, I watch certain isolated shows that I hear about, but not tv, tv.
He uses this phrase frequently in his press conferences. As if, 'oh wow! This works great!'
Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #37
Vocal parasite

100 positive policies.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-07-2016, 03:45 AM   #38
45:33

I'm going to the absolute shit out of this. It's going to be fucking insane.

The Australian Sex Party - The Great (Alternative) Election Debate
Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 AM   #39
Vocal parasite

That could actually be rather entertaining. It's a pretty decent lineup. I'm tempted.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-07-2016, 03:59 AM   #40

Come with me. I just booked a few extra tickets (it's free)
Old 06-07-2016, 04:07 AM   #41
Vocal parasite

Sweet.

I'll be hosting a colleague visiting from South Africa but I'm sure he can entertain himself for one evening. Or he might even be interested, since he did his PhD in Sydney and we bonded over a shared interest in political history.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-07-2016, 04:20 AM   #42

The Family First bloke was obviously coaxed into it. A debate in the middle of the city against a stack of liberals with what will be a liberal crowd? Idiot.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:52 AM   #43
Vocal parasite

Nah he's got Jacqui Lambie to team up with. She may be most surprising, because not only will the crowd be hostile to her like the Fundies First bloke, but she's also a popular figure of fun.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-...faad611909.htm

Extremely good.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I actually thought the discontent ran the other way, that there was suspicion she had too much sympathy with urban lefties (there were definitely a bunch of city-dwelling kids born in Indi who went back there in 2013 to work on her campaign) and a worry that in a hung parliament she would side with the ALP. At any rate, Mirabella's attempt to return to politics is already dead with the Coalition putting all its energy into the Nat guy, name I forget, fuckwit who once ran for Family First and made a comment about how some voters would be pleased to vote for a man.

And the Coalition permit three-cornered contests when there is no incumbent member of either party. So they don't run against sitting members of the other party but that's it. (Which gets back to a similar arrangement being unsuitable for the Greens.)
Ok, that refreshes my memory on the three cornered contests thing, I figured it must have been something like that.

I don't get these voters freaking out over their rural independents siding with the ALP on things. The potential must be understood to exist for that to happen. If they want a Coalition MP they should vote for one (and until the Gillard period, they seemed happy to stick with the independent in New England), with all that entails.