6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #406
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Thank Christ I'm not watching or reading the tweets, but am instead listening to a Radiohead show.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #407
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Just reading tonight's #qanda tweets is enough to make the blood boil. Thank christ I'm not watching.
I watched a clip of a man who asked Hanson a question. I'm regretting letting it go for long enough to hear Hanson's response, it's the same old tired cliches + a reference to that fraud Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #408
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Looking at news reports of Q&A and it sounds just as excruciating as I expected. I don't know how Sam Dastyari didn't storm out, but I love that Pauline Hanson somehow apparently didn't realise he's a Muslim even as he offered to take her out on election night for a halal snack pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Agreed, for the most part, about New Matilda (one or two contributors strongly excepted), and Independent Australia is like a cesspool for David Icke fans. As for The Conversation... I don't even know why that site exists. It is clickbaity blandness personified, only with a slightly upper-middle-brow twist of Grattan on top. Reminds me of those dreadful 'centrist' blogs who consistently miss the forest for the trees on every great question of the age.
I must admit this is the first time I've seen The Conversation called clickbaity. I'd say it's one best quality is how it resists being so, even at the risk of being dull.

My problem with it is that it suffers from the same problem of much of academia, or funding thereof: a delusion that the STEM disciplines are the only ones that matter. So you get heaps of articles about science and medicine but fuck-all about the humanities. To give them credit they've made an effort to improve on that front, but it seems to be largely by getting political scientists to talk about the issues of the day.

There's also the fact that in its first few months it had easily the best comments section of any halfway prominent news website, but then the anti-vaxxers and climate denialists and other cranks discovered it and the whole thing went down the shitter in that regard. I've probably said before it's a big part of why I don't submit articles there any more (and thus don't help to mitigate the STEM-centric problem about which I complain!).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #409
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Looking at news reports of Q&A and it sounds just as excruciating as I expected. I don't know how Sam Dastyari didn't storm out, but I love that Pauline Hanson somehow apparently didn't realise he's a Muslim even as he offered to take her out on election night for a halal snack pack.

I must admit this is the first time I've seen The Conversation called clickbaity. I'd say it's one best quality is how it resists being so, even at the risk of being dull.

My problem with it is that it suffers from the same problem of much of academia, or funding thereof: a delusion that the STEM disciplines are the only ones that matter. So you get heaps of articles about science and medicine but fuck-all about the humanities. To give them credit they've made an effort to improve on that front, but it seems to be largely by getting political scientists to talk about the issues of the day.

There's also the fact that in its first few months it had easily the best comments section of any halfway prominent news website, but then the anti-vaxxers and climate denialists and other cranks discovered it and the whole thing went down the shitter in that regard. I've probably said before it's a big part of why I don't submit articles there any more (and thus don't help to mitigate the STEM-centric problem about which I complain!).

The comments threads probably aren't great, yeah.

My 'clickbaity' comment might be a little unfair, but it so happens that I keep an old half-defunct page from a certain blog bookmarked that has a bunch of rss feeds for a bunch of Australian sites like this, and so I often see The Conversation's latest headlines all grouped together in a list, and they really have that tone about them. Whoever subedits over there has a house style, let's say.

And whatever the backgrounds of their contributors, they seem to make some play at commenting on the political questions of the day just like any other of these sites. Just sometimes in a vaguely clueless and technocratic way.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #410
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
And whatever the backgrounds of their contributors, they seem to make some play at commenting on the political questions of the day just like any other of these sites. Just sometimes in a vaguely clueless and technocratic way.
I think it's because of that eternal quest for "relevance", so you get political scientists encouraged to write as much as possible - despite the fact that from my experience of studying political science some of these people are really bad at checking their sources or reading historical precedents. But much of the rest of the humanities gets left out in the cold. If we can't link our research to the news of the day, forget it. Meanwhile some pop physics article with limited relevance to anything gets an easy run.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #411
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I think it's because of that eternal quest for "relevance", so you get political scientists encouraged to write as much as possible - despite the fact that from my experience of studying political science some of these people are really bad at checking their sources or reading historical precedents. But much of the rest of the humanities gets left out in the cold. If we can't link our research to the news of the day, forget it. Meanwhile some pop physics article with limited relevance to anything gets an easy run.

So maybe that's the problem right there. There's a certain 'gee whiz' tone to some of the stuff that sticks in my ass sideways.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:30 PM   #412
Vocal parasite

Ha, yes that's pretty much it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-19-2016, 12:07 AM   #413
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Reminds me of Doctor Karl on Triple J, after a while you'd get to know the bullshit he'd spout every week, about how we're all going to be spherical clouds of data in the future, or how robots and AI are going to take over (I'm not saying this is wholly wrongheaded, but to chuckle while saying it... you silly man). Or how cancer will be cured or some other nonsense. In most areas of human endeavour, progress has in fact slowed to a crawl.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #414
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Am I crazy or has the mass shootings thread devolved into the real estate dick measuring thread?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #415
Vocal parasite

Seriously what is up with that.

It gives a fascinating insight into the rather skewed perspectives of some posters though.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #416
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Let me tell you son, to live in New York, you've got to be Bono at 50, or Bono at 19.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:21 AM   #417
Vocal parasite

These are the hands that built America...'s subprime mortgage crisis.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #418
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:55 AM

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:17 AM   #419
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I could do with a sub-prime rib right now to wash down with my Dom Perignon 1976 vintage.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #420
45:33

They gave me a useless education and a subprime loan on a craftsman's home...