6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 07-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #361
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:52 PM
I wonder if that's how Ricky Muir felt when he won election, that this was a great get rich quick scheme. Unemployed one day, pretty nice senate salary the next!

And I wonder what he's doing now, apart from cursing the ground on which Turnbull and his double dissolution walk. At least Dio Wang has presumably just been reabsorbed into the Palmer corporate monolith.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:23 AM   #362
Vocal parasite

6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade?

Antony Green is busy live tweeting that Toowoomba byelection and that independent really is giving the LNP a run for their money.

Interesting that the ALP didn't even field a candidate.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #363
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Antony Green is busy live tweeting that Toowoomba byelection and that independent really is giving the LNP a run for their money.

Interesting that the ALP didn't even field a candidate.
I think they've given it up as a lost cause, although as I've said before Toowoomba North (the neighbouring seat) has gone Labor for extended periods.

The south is the suburbs, mostly, as I understand it (and not the older town or city core so much).
Old 07-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #364
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I wonder if that's how Ricky Muir felt when he won election, that this was a great get rich quick scheme. Unemployed one day, pretty nice senate salary the next!

And I wonder what he's doing now, apart from cursing the ground on which Turnbull and his double dissolution walk. At least Dio Wang has presumably just been reabsorbed into the Palmer corporate monolith.
If I was Ricky Muir, and very cynical, I'd be feeling pretty chuffed. One senate term (half term ok, half term) and the average person like you or I would be pretty well set for life, right? As long as we lived modestly (thinking of you Pauline).
Old 07-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #365
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
If I was Ricky Muir, and very cynical, I'd be feeling pretty chuffed. One senate term (half term ok, half term) and the average person like you or I would be pretty well set for life, right? As long as we lived modestly (thinking of you Pauline).

It makes one think fondly of a senate tilt. Until you remember what's involved to campaign, for your chances of being a Muir were always vanishingly slim and now basically don't exist.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
It makes one think fondly of a senate tilt. Until you remember what's involved to campaign, for your chances of being a Muir were always vanishingly slim and now basically don't exist.
It's true that the wild west days of Senate preference harvesting seem to be done, but there's always a ride on the One Nation train I suppose. Or the Greens. I could just stand for the Greens and nod and smile and then collect my fat paycheck.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #367
Vocal parasite

I think these days you've got to play a fair bit of the political game to get yourself into an electable position on a Greens Senate ticket.

Sometimes I wish politics was still like the mid-nineteenth century, where it was considered unseemly for a gentleman to campaign on his own behalf. I'd love to just sit at home and let other people canvass for me, then enjoy my nice parliamentary digs and sweet parliamentary pension.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #368
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That's what I'm talking about. Time was it was unseemly for gentlemen to campaign or engage in commerce. Now it's all the fuckers do.

Although I'm not sure they gave much of a parliamentary pension in the olden days, that's kind of why it was the preserve of the aforementioned gentlemen. Anyhow, if called I will serve.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #369
Vocal parasite

Yes, I do like to remind people that the reason why politicians get good salaries and cushy retirement perks is so that anybody, no matter their background, can serve in parliament - and to attract talent that would otherwise stick with the greater personal gains that can be accrued in the private sector. Fuck, you read my election blog, I probably didn't need to type that.

I recall that in the earliest New Zealand representative parliaments - and I expect the Australian ones were similar - the MPs got a modest allowance for each day parliament sat. Barely enough to buy food and accommodation. The government would often also commission a ship to convey MPs to the capital. But any other expenses? That falls on you. A wage to support your family? Ha. And good luck keeping your job, or keeping your small business or farm humming along, when you're buggering off for four or five months to legislate. No wonder men of modest means were locked out of representation.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #370
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I got that from your election blog (although I knew it anyway), yes.

But people do like to complain about 'pollies' perks', I guess they'd prefer we leave the field to men and women of independent means and great wisdom. Men and women like Malcolm Bligh Turnbull.

We should probably bring back the property franchise while we're at it. I also quite like the ancient classical Roman (republican era) rule of requiring a property qualification to serve in the army. Don't have two cents to rub together? You're excused!
Old 07-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #371
Vocal parasite

Don't tell Pauline Hanson there used to be a literacy requirement or it'll be her new crusade.

Of course it will then be funny when a whole bunch of bigots find themselves falling short of the tight literacy criteria she sets, while a bunch of well-educated immigrants get the vote and turf out Dutton.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #372
Vocal parasite

And imagine if we still declared our votes orally to the returning officer.

I'd feel so sorry for everybody stuck behind me in the queue as I go through my 116 Senate preferences.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-17-2016, 01:44 AM   #373
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
And imagine if we still declared our votes orally to the returning officer.

I'd feel so sorry for everybody stuck behind me in the queue as I go through my 116 Senate preferences.
I'd feel sorry for the Citizens Electoral Council candidate who knows it's you who didn't vote for them.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:47 AM   #374
Vocal parasite

They'll just assume I'm in hock with the genocidal maniacs at the British royal family.

I've had worse assumed about me on this very forum.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-17-2016, 01:52 AM   #375
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Did you know that The Queen Mother is one of the shape-shifting lizards, along with George Bush (both), Prince Phillip and the Rothschilds?