2008: rad, or unrad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sad Punk

Blue Crack Addict
How was the year for you?

I thought mine went down pretty well, but there were a few moments I wasn't happy about. But considering that I spent New Years 2007 drinking sherry alone because my best friend was going to see someone else, I'd say I've had some reasonable improvements. A few decent boyfriends, the first year of Tafe, a trip to Melbourne where I met a few of these here crew, and my first time reporting a crime. Hopefully 2009 ups the ante on fun.

I'm still alive, working too much, sleeping too little, getting older. We didn't lose any family members this year, which is always a plus. Got to spend a lovely week at Disney World and at the beach on Sanibel Island, Florida, with my sister, her son, and my son. I still have my house, MrPurrl, and our two cats. No automobile accidents. Had a lovely Christmas with my extended family. So I'd say 2008 has been a pretty good year!

I wish you a Happy New Year, Sad Punk! :hug:

you came to Melbourne? :sad:

Most of my year was :coocoo: :yikes:

but now it is finishing off very spendidly :D The past couple months have been the happiest for me personally, in a long time!

Good to hear Trance!!! :up:

2008 was a year of consolidation I suppose, didn't go forwards but importantly, didn't go backwards. Work is good at the moment, personal life could be better. :grumpy:

I have hopes and positive feelings about 2009....

To be honest this was such a boring year for me. And sad too, as right at the beginning of the year I lost two family members - I had the worst possible start for the year really. My year was spent finishing my studies and writing my thesis, and on the positive side I have to say that it felt great to finally graduate last Friday. I didn't get to travel anywhere which makes me awfully depressed and sad because travelling is what I love most and try to do as much as possible. I didn't see any great gigs which is really depressing as well. But at least I'm healthy and have a great family and friends. You can't take things like that for granted.

So all in all, I'm glad 2008 is over soon because 2009 can't be much worse than this (well of course it can but I try to think positive). Next year promises to be good: in February I'm off to London to meet old friends and see Keane live and in March and April friends are having babies just to name a couple of highlights. And if I find a job and possibly get my personal life somewhere too, well that would be just brilliant.

On the upside, I spent a lot of time with very good friends. I made it to Disneyland at least once. I overcame my fear of flying long enough to take two trips by plane, one to San Jose and one to San Francisco. I stole came into possession of Chris McCandless's mailbox. I hiked both Death Valley and Red Rock Canyon. I took road trips to several places including the Salton Sea, Salvation Mountain, and the site of U2's fallen Joshua Tree.

On the downside, I dealt with some difficult family issues and was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

2009, however, is already off to a great start. On New Years Day, very good friends are coming to visit me.

:heart:

Take that, 2008!

Personally 2008 was a really great year for me! Bought a new house,adopted a Yorkie puppie :cute:,got married and traveled to the Bahamas. Finally met a friend from another country too and have been able to spend a lot of great moments together :). On top of that was even able to travel back home East quite a bit to see family and friends.

Im positive that 2009 is just going to continue to get better :). Have plans on starting my new law career early in the year.

Im positive that 2009 is just going to continue to get better :). Have plans on starting my new law career early in the year.

Good luck with that! What are you going to be doing? (Yeah, I'm a legal geek)

2008 was way better than 2007 for me. It was a year of a lot of firsts for me, including the start of a legal career, living in a new city in a different country by myself and making some wonderful new friends. There were also some downsides, but they were not terrible.

I am looking forward to 2009, another year of new beginnings and a year where I know I'll be travelling a bit again after a bit of a break. Mexico in just over 5 weeks will start things off!

Good luck with that! What are you going to be doing? (Yeah, I'm a legal geek)

Thank you Im really excited! :). Im going to be a legal transcriptionist.

Oh and it's ok Im rather a legal geek myself lol. Have a brother who is a lawyer and another one is a detective so the legal stuff really rubbed off on me lol. Attended a technical high school too where I studied criminal justice all 4 years.

Good luck to everyone with 2009! May it bring you nothing but happiness :hug:

2008 was a roller coaster ride, including the death of my Grandmother but also including my sister's girlfriend becoming pregnant with twins. All in all, I'd say 2008 was more good than bad, which I'll take any time.

I lost my dog the day after my birthday, my best friend for 15 plus years. I knew that I faced that the next day so it was my worst birthday ever. I miss her so much, and that pretty much colored the rest of the year now that I look back on it. I had a few good times over the summer while she was still doing ok in spite of all her issues.

Next March I'm supposed to be going to Disney World, I've always wanted to go there so I'm looking forward to that

It was good for me. Didn't have anyone pass away or get bad health news. Reconnected with old friends from high school. Can't wait till 2009.

I lost my dog the day after my birthday, my best friend for 15 plus years. I knew that I faced that the next day so it was my worst birthday ever. I miss her so much, and that pretty much colored the rest of the year now that I look back on it. I had a few good times over the summer while she was still doing ok in spite of all her issues.

Next March I'm supposed to be going to Disney World, I've always wanted to go there so I'm looking forward to that

:hug:

2008 really sucked. It's been one rotten thing after another. I've always said that even years are bad for me, odd years are amazing. So....I have high hopes for 2009!

The year has ended pretty well, but it was pretty unmemorable overall.

Kicked the shit out of 2007 though. There was far more bad than good last year.

2008 was overall a pretty good year. I got married, traveled a lot for fun and/or family events. 2008 was a bad year for concerts though...hardly went to any this year. My sister's pug died in June, so that was a really sad time for all of us. I also was demoted at work and am currently stuck there while I continue looking for new work. I am hoping 2009 will bring a lot of luck and joy, a new job, and as much time as I can get with my family and friends.

How was the year for you?

I thought mine went down pretty well, but there were a few moments I wasn't happy about. But considering that I spent New Years 2007 drinking sherry alone because my best friend was going to see someone else, I'd say I've had some reasonable improvements. A few decent boyfriends, the first year of Tafe, a trip to Melbourne where I met a few of these here crew, and my first time reporting a crime. Hopefully 2009 ups the ante on fun.

The city that never disappoints. :wink:

Surely a "few decent boyfriends" suggest that none of them were keepers though?

2007 was shite for me. NYE was the only good thing really. 2008 has been quite awesome for the most part. Seen some good gigs, feel like I really know what I want now and am well on my way to quite comprehensively achieving what I want.

'09 could be really cracking, if all my pipe dreams aren't just that....

I've got mixed feelings about 2008. On the good side, my sister returned from UK and it's a pleasure to have her living at home again. At work I scored a free famil trip to Kimberley, Western Australia, just before the financial crisis hit and our company started to cut costs. I went to some good gigs, most memorably Goldfrapp, although of course this year pales next to 2007 in terms of gig going. The dance studio I go to put on a big end-of-the-year production and it was enormous fun to participate in. On the bad side, I've had the most stressful time of my life at work early this year with the mammoth Europe River Cruising brochure, which may or may not have contributed to my struggle with feelings of anxiety and derealisation later on. Which seem to be easing now, thank god, but I still feel like I've lost a few months of my life. I definitely look forward to the next year, especially with the new U2 album and a five-week holiday in Europe looming ahead, :hyper:

Started off bad, then was, err, rad.. Overall, it's been a good year. 2009 needs to be much less drama though. Too much wasted energy.

My year? Well, it’s been interesting. For one thing, it absolutely flew by. I know we say this every year, but this year honestly felt so quick. I reminisce and I get a little sad, just thinking about a lot moments, most of them relating to school. They always said high school is the best years of your life, and even though I could have done a lot more, I still had a great final year, and I will miss it dearly.

There’s plenty that I didn’t achieve this year. I remember I probably had three new year’s ambitions, one was to crack 60 kilos, which didn’t happen. The next was to get a girlfriend, which didn’t happen. And the final was to lose my inhibitions, which I actually felt I achieved, maybe not entirely, but I got there this year. I did really want to get a girlfriend, and it almost happened. But then she all of a sudden turned what we had going on its head, and closed every door I opened. It hurt, but it was a learning curve for me I think, and hopefully in the future I’ll be able to handle it all better.

I barely put on any weight, I’m still just as skinny and small as I was at the start of the year, and that never really bothered me, but I think having 300 blokes in Bay 13 chanting “Sherman” at you gives you a kick in the bum.

But there was plenty of good stuff too. I really did feel I lost some of my inhibitions, and while alcohol probably played a role in some situations, I am more comfortable in those previously nervy situations than ever before.

We didn’t lose any family members this year, my Nan is still going strong at 89.

I became closer with a few girls this year, and while none were any more than good friendships, it was a pretty good feeling and something that I cherished this year.

I made people laugh, which brought me a lot of joy in 2008.

My purity score dropped to 77% :ohmy:

I turned 18, and despite what people said about it being no different, I relished it. I LOVE being 18, and immensely enjoyed going out clubbing in Werribee, Geelong and the City. Being able to buy beer, smokes, lapdances, entry, whatever was cool and probably the main reason I enjoyed the year so.

I ended up surprising everyone and myself by doing fantastically well at school, which really capped off the great fun I had. I managed to maintain a social life and have heaps of fun while at the same time still being able to keep up with my school work.

I opened plenty of doors for myself with regards to my hoped sports journalism career. The local VFL (one step down from the national competition) club here in Werribee got me to write their match review articles all year long, and when the resident writer for the paper was absent, I stepped up and got articles published in the local paper.

I also did work experience at the Herald Sun (the leading Victorian newspaper) and impressed many people there, and as a result I’ve just ever so slightly got my foot in the door, and they informed me that the current ‘staff freeze’ will end in February, and I should ring back then to see if I can become a copy boy.

Overall 2008, while I still wish a lot more could have happened, was the best year of my life to date, which added to 2007 being the best year of my life the year before. I am hoping that this trend will continue in 2009, and I am confident that it will.

…wow got really carried away there.

Started off bad, then was, err, rad.. Overall, it's been a good year. 2009 needs to be much less drama though. Too much wasted energy.

:yes: :hug:

2008 was better than 2007, overall. But still, too much drama going on to handle. Though I'm a positive person and I got through it okay (pretty much), there were some moments which just made me go crazy. From 2009 on I really need to start thinking about myself more, before I overdo things and wear myself out. So, that's one of my good intentions for the new year: don't put myself in second place anymore!

Good luck to everyone in 2009, I really truly hope all of your wishes and/or good intentions will come true, if only even for a small part :)

2008 was a good year. Finished my training/studying. Moved to The Netherlands during the summer. We bought a house here and moved in at the beginning of August. Found a job - despite some problems I'm thankful to have it and I love being there...most of the time. I discovered I love cycing and have managed to lose two stone since I've moved here and started doing exercise.

Next year I wish to stay healthy, start driving again and plan our wedding.

I ended up surprising everyone and myself by doing fantastically well at school, which really capped off the great fun I had. I managed to maintain a social life and have heaps of fun while at the same time still being able to keep up with my school work.

….

Are ya going to uni then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom