You're Not My Brother And You're Not My Sister - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:14 AM
"i am sorry if i offended anyone" - ahh, the typical non-apology.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:14 AM
While that's not as good as a plain old "I am sorry for what I said," at least it wasn't "I'm sorry YOU were offended," which is a typical non-apology.

At least he had the second "I" in there.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

true, i just hate how no one can ever just say "i'm sorry for what i said" and end it at that. that's all there needs to be, anyway.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Seriously.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:14 PM
so basically an elected official in alabama is a narrow minded god-bothering tool.

news?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #21
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Way to rise above, ian.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

that's a little bit unfair.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #23
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Pot/kettle?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

i could write an essay on how pot/kettle my statement was, but it's already been said, so i decided to chip in with the probably overused haha alabama is backward joke.'

i could have made the clearer sooner.

i'd say i'm the second person in this thread to have erred with the tongue in cheek comments, and so we can carry on again.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #25
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:14 AM
I don't think that talking about the historical reputation of a place, or its people, in broad terms, is always wrong. A few million people live in Alabama. It is impossible to talk about all of their millions of individual opinions. But, fair to many of those individual Alabamans or not, their state has cultivated a certain historical reputation that is often perpetuated by events like this one. Now if a movement of voting Alabamans expressed disgust with his statements, and really kicked up some dust, rather than expressions of hopeful disappointment from some rabbis, then maybe people should start cutting Alabama a break. But, "as a matter of fact", this new governor's statements will probably help him get re-elected, and we know that is true. So, why is it so unfair to talk about Alabama in general terms of historical reputation? It may be a fine line separating this from more ignorant prejudice, but a line nonetheless. He is the elected governor of that state. I wonder what his political campaign was like.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
true, i just hate how no one can ever just say "i'm sorry for what i said" and end it at that. that's all there needs to be, anyway.
Probably because he's not sorry. He meant what he said because, from a Christian standpoint, he was telling the truth. He said it in the right venue, but he picked the wrong day/time.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

The Christian faith is a very narrow faith. The Christian faith says there are not many roads to heaven or many beliefs or ideas that are all equal.

There is only that rebel from Nazareth claiming to be God and claiming to be the only way to salvation.

That is the hard cut of the message of Jesus.

i don't doubt that many christians believe this. i can understand where this comes from.

that's why they're so terrifying to the rest of us, and probably to jesus as well.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #28
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
But, fair to many of those individual Alabamans or not, their state has cultivated a certain historical reputation that is often perpetuated by events like this one. Now if a movement of voting Alabamans expressed disgust with his statements, and really kicked up some dust, rather than expressions of hopeful disappointment from some rabbis, then maybe people should start cutting Alabama a break.
The problem with this is that sticking to that cynical, bad-faith stance of "Meh, it's [name of Southern state], whaddya expect" only reinforces the tendency for pushback over such incidents to remain limited to half-assed "expressions of hopeful disappointment," which don't actually call out what's problematic in what happened and insist on change. From historic experience, minorities of whichever type have a habit of reacting to this sort of thoughtlessly alienating behavior by rationalizing, "Well, what else can I expect--my kind are low on the totem pole here; in fact, really I ought to be grateful they abide me as well as they do, so I'll just politely signal that this hurts me a little, but hasten to add that, as always, I look forward to working with them." And that's bad enough, but when outside spectators then vocally adopt the "Meh, it's Alabama..." stance too, that makes it worse, because not only are they also seemingly endorsing this type of passivity, they're doing it in a way that simultaneously tends to make you feel squeezed from the opposite direction. Because even though you're Jewish (or black, or gay, or whatever), at the same time chances are you also have a felt sense of yourself as a Southerner--that's your home, your community, the place many of your folk's customs and traditions come from, and you're fond of quite a lot of that really, so it's also an affront to see (implicitly) the whole of that so easily and scornfully dismissed. And when that outside spectator's attitude towards you appears in so many words to be, "How can you possibly stand living in this human cesspool?!?" you then feel like telling them, "Look, go f--- yourself." It doesn't feel like respectful support.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
""Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday at a church service held moments after his inauguration, according to The Birmingham News."

The event was a church service. In this context Bentley was expressing his faith.

The Christian faith is a very narrow faith. The Christian faith says there are not many roads to heaven or many beliefs or ideas that are all equal.

There is only that rebel from Nazareth claiming to be God and claiming to be the only way to salvation.

That is the hard cut of the message of Jesus.
You both have your theology wrong.

Just recently you evoked: "we are our brother's keeper", and there are passages that speak of how we're to take care of the least of our brothers.

Do you really think the Bible is inferring only to those that share your same faith?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #30
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:14 AM
As they say, I don't have to be wrong for you to be right. I think we are both right.