You Just Can't Beat A Religious Education

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
A Roman Catholic school has barred 12 and 13-year-old pupils from being immunized against cervical cancer on its premises.

Governors of St Monica's RC High School in Prestwich, Bury, Greater Manchester, reached the decision even though the vaccination programme has been approved by the Catholic hierarchy in Britain.

Although a letter outlining the governors' stance makes no mention of moral objections, at least one of their number has previously criticized the injections for "encouraging sexual promiscuity".

Letters were sent out to the parents of 120 Year 8 girls yesterday. Even if they are prevented from having the injections on school premises, girls will be free to have the inoculations via their GPs.

Both the local diocese and the Catholic Education Service support the NHS initiative to protect teenage girls from the sexually-transmitted human papillomavirus (HPV).

Health experts believe the programme of three injections over six months will eventually save hundreds of lives a year.

The governors of St Monica's point out in their letter that the vaccine protects against only 70 per cent of cervical cancers. They also give details of possible side-effects to the injections.

Martin Browne, chairman of governors at the 1,200-pupil school, writes: "We do not believe that school is the right place for the three injections to be administered.

"Therefore, governors have taken the decision not to allow the school premises to be used for this programme.'

"There have been questions raised about the effectiveness and longevity of the vaccine, its potential for interference with the body's natural defences against other HPV strains and the side effects it can cause."

The letter also reports that some girls who took part in a pilot study last year suffered dizziness, nausea, headaches and high temperatures.

Last year one of the governors, Monsignor John Allen, complained that pupils involved in a pilot scheme were being used as "guinea pigs".

He said: "Morally it seems to be a sticking plaster response. Parents must consider the knock-on effect of encouraging sexual promiscuity.

"Instead of taking it for granted that teenagers will engage in sexual activity, we can offer a vision of a full life keeping yourself for a lifelong partnership in marriage."

Mr Browne's letter includes advice from the Catholic Education Service, which says: "There is nothing in Catholic teaching to suggest that there is anything wrong with the use of vaccination against this disease, nor does it undermine the Church's teachings in regard to human relationships and sexual activity.

"It remains important that all safe and moral steps are taken to protect people from the virus. This includes good relationships education in both home and at school, and also the opportunity to have this optional vaccination whilst a teenager."
Catholic school bans girls from having cervical cancer jabs - Telegraph

It is a new sort of dilemma for religious schools, boys don't get cervical cancer.

If a school recieves a cent of public funds, it should be obligated to allow public health campaigns on its premises.

If a school recieves a cent of public funds, it should be obligated to allow public health campaigns on its premises.

I disagree, but anyway, have they stopped public health officials from entering the premises of the school?

I think this should be a medical choice, only. Since, it doesn't have the same contagious properties as other diseases.

Though, if I had a daughter. I would discuss with her, the benefits of getting this vaccination.

Parents and doctors should be the ones to make this decision, and they should not be administered on school grounds.

most immunizations have side effects, they just don't affect that many people. Any medical thing from panadol to chemo has side affects for people. And they're not questionable, they are typical side affects.

I also think the 'sticking plaster' comment is stupid. This is a life threatening disease that can be cured by an injection and we can't have it because it has the word SEX attached to it. Does this school not think their children are EVER going to have sex? It protects them forever and i highly doubt that a 13 yr old is going to get the injection and go out trawling for booty the moment its over. Perhaps the gy they end up marrying might be carrying it as it is SYMPTOM less, as we clearly don't give two fucks about how many sexual partners a boy has.

Yet again it seems that some religious people are the most pathetic and stupid people on earth. Sure they can get them at the GP with their parents, but its the whole thing of, well the school can spout any old shit about morality and we have to say 'oh its a private school they can do whatever they like'
I don't think thats fair. They are in the business of shaping the minds of tomorrow, why are we allowing them to be damaged? Its a form of child abuse.

Yet again it seems that some religious people are the most pathetic and stupid people on earth. ... Its a form of child abuse.

Charming.

Any medical thing from panadol to chemo has side affects for people. And they're not questionable, they are typical side affects.

So schools should be in the chemo business?

Even if they are prevented from having the injections on school premises, girls will be free to have the inoculations via their GPs.

As it should be.

HA You think that is bad! Two School Boards in Alberta just said they arn't going to provide the shots either! And to boot, instead of recieving the shots for free at schools the parents are going to have to pay 450$ for the shots now! Oh and I forgot to mention, the Catholic School Board is 100% funded through the government, they are not considered private at all, top that bullshit!

HPV vaccine refused by 2 Alberta Catholic school boards
Last Updated: Friday, September 26, 2008 | 12:06 AM ET Comments58Recommend22CBC News
Girls entering Grade 5 in Alberta will be offered the HPV vaccine. (Associated Press)Two Alberta Catholic school boards will not be offering a controversial vaccine to Grade 5 girls this fall.

Calgary Catholic school board members voted Wednesday night not to make the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine available in schools.

Trustee Mary Martin said Calgary Bishop Fred Henry didn't want to appear to be condoning pre-marital sex.

"The bishop felt it was a moral issue."

St. Thomas Aquinas school board, south of Edmonton, has also refused the vaccine. At a special board meeting Sept. 19, trustees voted 6-3 against offering the vaccine at their schools, which have about 2,500 students.

Both boards will provide information about where the vaccine is available and let parents make the decision for their daughters.

"When a school board or anyone else allows something to go on in their schools, it's almost seen as an endorsement," said St. Thomas Aquinas board chair Sandra Bannard. "They just didn't want to go down that road, and thought it was more appropriate that this be a parental choice and families decide what's best to do for their daughters."

The Calgary Catholic School District is the largest in Alberta and serves 44,000 students in Calgary, Airdrie, Cochrane, Chestermere and Rocky View.

For adult women, it costs $450 to get the vaccine through the Calgary Health Region.

Howard May, a spokesman for Alberta Health, told CBC News Online the department is looking at other ways to make the vaccine available for free to girls in the Catholic school system.

"This is a health issue for us and we are concerned," he said. "Forty women in Alberta die every year from cervical cancer, so we want to ensure the vaccine has as high an uptake as possible and we are going to explore those options and hope to have something more firm to announce very shortly."

Free, voluntary program

Health regions across Alberta are preparing a free, voluntary vaccination campaign in schools that will begin this month.

Girls entering Grade 5 will be offered the HPV vaccine, with the program being expanded to include Grade 9 girls starting in September 2009. Public health nurses will administer the series of three shots and parents will be asked for their consent before their child is immunized.

Each year in Canada, an estimated 1,300 women contract the sexually transmitted virus, which can cause cervical cancer. About 400 women die of cervical cancer annually and it is the second-most-common type of cancer for women between the ages of 20 and 44.

Alberta Health says the vaccine has been proven safe and effective when given early.

HA You think that is bad! Two School Boards in Alberta just said they arn't going to provide the shots either! And to boot, instead of recieving the shots for free at schools the parents are going to have to pay 450$ for the shots now![/B]

I guess I missed the part where School Boards aren't allowed to decide who comes to school and sticks their little girls with needles.

Both boards will provide information about where the vaccine is available and let parents make the decision for their daughters.

..."They just didn't want to go down that road, and thought it was more appropriate that this be a parental choice and families decide what's best to do for their daughters."

Again, as it should be.

Generally school boards shouldn't be allowed to make decisions with regard to health, that is the health boards decision with accordance with the government. These schools are paid for by taxpayers, our health care is public, and this vaccine is most conviently administered at school where the children are.

You must have missed the paragraph in the article that states:

Public health nurses will administer the series of three shots and parents will be asked for their consent before their child is immunized.

So it is as it should be...

Charming.

So schools should be in the chemo business?

As it should be.

Wow, you don't read anything properly did you? You said the side affects of dizziness and nausea were questionable. I said that they are normal side affects for a very very small percentage of the population and that any sort of medical treatment has risks and side affects.

The reason they are giving the vaccinations at school is because they can vaccinate a huge amount of students in a short time rather than having each one make an appointment.
Do you want to make the polio vaccination done only at the doctors as well, or is that ok because its about them walking not having sex.

The reason they are giving the vaccinations at school is because they can vaccinate a huge amount of students in a short time rather than having each one make an appointment.

So convenience and efficacy of the government trump personal rights when it comes to health decisions?

Do you want to make the polio vaccination done only at the doctors as well, or is that ok because its about them walking not having sex.

You seriously want to compare this disease to polio?

Seriously? So anyone from the government can come in and start sticking kids with whatever they want?

Anyone? Come on. If want to play games, fine. But if you want a serious conversation I'll be willing to give it to you.

Anyone from the government? What does that mean? Ya we are going to send down Joe from accounting to start sticking kids with needles, give your head a shake.

I'll explain this very simply.

Schools are funded by taxpayers. All schools, including Catholic.

In Canada we have public health care (as well as UK).

Both of these are government, and in turn, taxpayer funded. So it makes most sense to OFFER these shots at schools where the children are, then to have 100,000 children come to doctors offices and hospitals looking to get the shot. This would cause me, the taxpayer, to have to spend more money. I dont like wasteful spending of my money. Thus the great idea of having the health board, not just anyone, but trained nurses, come to the school and give the shot.

I think its pretty simple, but again, God gets in the way.

I think its pretty simple, but again, God gets in the way.

At a Christian school, run by Christians, with Christian convictions. The school board is not obstructing information, it is providing information to its parents so that they can make an informed decision and move forward from there.

When should the government be allowed to supercede the core convictions of private institutions?

At a Christian school, run by Christians, with Christian convictions. The school board is not obstructing information, it is providing information to its parents so that they can make an informed decision and move on from there.

Now you get it. Thats exactly what happens, they send a consent form home and the parents sign it or don't. Then the child goes to the gym on a friday afternoon and gets her shot or they sit in class and talk to her friend while everyone else is. God is getting in the way of simple facts. If people dont like it they can easily pull their child out and move them to fully privatized schooling. We have a society to run, and religon should'nt get in the way.

If people dont like it they can easily pull their child out and move them to fully privatized schooling. We have a society to run, and religon should'nt get in the way.

Does a school with a specific religious and ideological worldview have the right to decide how it's going to be run or not? Or should the government run religious schools and institutions too?

Does a school with a specific religious and ideological worldview have the right to decide how it's going to be run or not? Or should the government run religious schools and institutions too?

When they're publicly funded, as they are here, then yes, they should be following what is mandated by our boards of health.

Question - the original article was from the UK, and it stated that it was a 'private' school. If I'm not mistaken, private and public schools have opposite meanings in the UK to what we know them as in North America, no?

Fear is a poor teaching tool for sexual morality.

Yolland, you know how it is with evangelicals. If there's the slightest chance that a female child could grow up to have a sexual experience outside of marriage, nevermind with :gasp: more than one partner, then their lives aren't worth saving.

How sad that some people actually believe this.

Yolland, you know how it is with evangelicals. If there's the slightest chance that a female child could grow up to have a sexual experience outside of marriage, nevermind with :gasp: more than one partner, then their lives aren't worth saving.

How sad that some people actually believe this.

Oh come on! There's more important things than to save this girl's life. There's a believe system to protect!

Ok we need to clear something up here. We are talking about three seperate countries here, actually only two as i've yet to see an article from the US.

We manage our health boards and school systems very differently. So please stop comparing this to the USA. Everything should'nt be related to the US. You have no idea how things are run in the UK or Canada.

Oh come on! There's more important things than to save this girl's life. There's a believe system to protect!

You know, even a good evangelical/Catholic girl could get this disease if, as someone mentioned earlier, her husband brought it to the marriage bed, being symptom free.

I guess there's nothing to worry about though when you can be 100 percent certain that both husband and wife were virgins before marriage, right?

:|

Sure, God saves you.

Else, if you do have partners before marriage he will dismiss you. Don't you see the light? :angel:

I guess there's nothing to worry about though when you can be 100 percent certain that both husband and wife were virgins before marriage, right?
Yes, rape. Happens quite a lot on college campuses. And unfaithful spouses.

We are raising our daughter, and our sons, with traditional Jewish teachings about sex belonging in marriage (which doesn't in any way exclude comprehensive sex education at the same time), and I make no apologies for that. I also love my daughter far more than I love any ideal, and if she were to acquire cervical cancer via HPV through whatever means, I wouldn't be reassured in the slightest by the idea that Oh well, I did my part by advocating reserving sex for marriage. Furthermore I know many other parents aren't teaching their children that sex is for marriage, or simply aren't discussing sex with them at all, and I want their daughters' chances of avoiding the disease maximized as well.

I expect to discuss all the above frankly with my daughter when she is of age to receive this vaccine. I don't care whether she receives it at school or in a doctor's office. Perhaps someday it will be a required vaccine by many school systems, as several others currently are.

Nothing I've read about it supports the idea that its (reported, not confirmed) serious complications rate is worse than other commonplace vaccines; on the contrary, according to the CDC, it's well below the average rate.

Back
Top Bottom