You Just Can't Beat A Religious Education

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Read my posts, VP. I'm not talking about my objections. I'm talking about the rights of the school to administer certain vaccines or not.

Read my posts, Nathan. I've already responded to that. And I'm sure that anyone who isn't a religious reactionary would agree that the health of our girls trumps "the rights [real or imagined] of the school."

Not when they're fully publicly funded and there's an overriding health issue that takes precedence. There are all sorts of private religious schools around. If you object to public health saving lives of females via public Catholic schools, then maybe you should enroll your children into one of those, and pay for the privilege.

What's wrong with focusing on both? Then more lives are protected.

Government mandates all kinds of things as far as publicly funded schools are concerned, including things that are contrary to religious belief, like parts of the science curriculum. Doesn't that impede their "rights" as well?

I've mentioned repeatedly that government completely funds Catholic schools here. I've also pointed out that parents have to sign consent forms approving any vaccinations that take place in a school setting, taking away the whole consent issue. He hasn't responded to either of those. I can only conclude that the basis of his disapproval rests on the morality issue.

:wink:

VP - does Govt. supplement the funding that comes specifically from tax payer dollars earmarked by the tax payer themselves to fund the separate school boards?

VP - does Govt. supplement the funding that comes specifically from tax payer dollars earmarked by the tax payer themselves to fund the separate school boards?
At one time, residents had to indicate on their tax forms whether or not they supported the public or the separate school boards. That changed a long time ago. Now, it simply all comes from the same place, and it's allotted based on enrollment numbers.

At one time, residents had to indicate on their tax forms whether or not they supported the public or the separate school boards. That changed a long time ago. Now, it simply all comes from the same place, and it's allotted based on enrollment numbers.

weird - they haven't update the forms then, I've been getting allocation choices for the last 6 yrs. Maybe it's by municipality?

Maybe it is, then. I know here, they go by enrollment numbers - there was a big to-do about it locally in the past year or so.

I'm pretty sure that's not universal then. Here, we still choose, and the board gets a lot of additional funding through board run lotteries. I was just curious.

I'm pretty sure that's not universal then. Here, we still choose, and the board gets a lot of additional funding through board run lotteries. I was just curious.

It's kind of strange, I would have thought it would have been consistent across the province, but I guess not.

Unless it was changed back here, and I wasn't aware of it. :uhoh: I'm pretty sure it wasn't, though.

It is based on municipalities.

This is governed by the Education Act - you need to go to the Regulations (enabled by the EA) to see the allocations per municipality.

The issue is not cervical cancer. The issue is government mandates that have no place in a religious school that is willing to give the information to its students but not allow vaccinations on school property. Cleario?

Who on earth is being lynched? The school is willing to distribute information to anyone who wants it.

Gosh, I don't know why we don't just hand out clean needles to kids too...

The issue IS cervical cancer because of how you can contract it. I don't see you up in arms about other life saving immunizations that schools met out. I just think its unbelieviably narrow minded to not want to give out a free life saving needle due to the fact that it is contracted during sex. It has nothing to do with RELIGION but all to do with screwed up "morals" that are spouted by delusional religious people.

And i love that HUGE jump you made by comparing a medical marvel with handing out clean needles. You truly have no clue as to what we're on about when you say things like this.

I'm sure a lot of people think delusional thoughts, such as my delusional thought that people can't actually be stupid enough to want to vote for Mccain/Palin

but then i'm not spouting this shit to a school full of developing minds. This is why I believe these sorts of things are almost akin to child abuse, because you're definately screwing them up mentally with ya mumbo jumbo talk.

I'm sure a lot of people think delusional thoughts, such as my delusional thought that people can't actually be stupid enough to want to vote for Mccain/Palin

but then i'm not spouting this shit to a school full of developing minds. This is why I believe these sorts of things are almost akin to child abuse, because you're definately screwing them up mentally with ya mumbo jumbo talk.

Many would say that abortion is the worst form of child abuse.

4 years of Catholic school.
Grew up a preacher's kid.
Went into campus ministry for a while.
I know what I'm talking about.
Do you?

Memphis says that most of his friends lost their virginity on trips to Nashville for Christian World Youth celebrations (or whatever they were called) and singing and stuff like that.

Who on earth is being lynched? The school is willing to distribute information to anyone who wants it.

You need to go re-read the article. You can point them to where they can get it but they now have to pay $450 for the shot. Is that fair to the ordinary families that, in some cases, HAVE to send their child to Catholic school?

We have universal health care but it does'nt come cheap. This is a cost saving matter. The Health Minister, of one of the most conservative governments in North America, is asking the school boards to reconsider! The entire country has been giving out these shots (of course Alberta is last) and only one other school board has denied it. There are over 400 school boards across Canada, and only 3 have refused this immunization. That is 0.75% of school boards who are holding God up in the face of common sense and healthy children.

If some of you want to side with the under one percent of irrational thinkers, be my guest. I'll stick with the 99.25% of people that actually see past fear and God.

I suppose every country will have a small percentage that are idiots...:applaud:

Woman criticizes vaccine ban
By SUN MEDIA

CALGARY -- A Catholic woman who survived cervical cancer after contracting the human papilloma virus says a Calgary school board didn't properly weigh the pros and cons when it decided not to vaccinate young girls.

The Calgary Catholic board was one of two in Alberta that voted last week to ban a vaccination program.

Rose Penlington, 52, still lives with the effects of sexually transmitted HPV virus and cervical cancer.

"If I can stop one girl from going through what I went through, it is worth coming forward," she said.

A group of Catholic bishops has suggested the vaccine promotes sexual activity among young girls.

Ron Liepert, Alberta's health minister, has called on the boards to reconsider, saying their decision puts the health of young girls at risk.

Penlington said she got the virus from her husband when she was 24, and 13 years later it developed into cervical cancer.

After radiation and surgeries, including a hysterectomy, she developed scarring in her intestine. It became blocked and had to be partially removed. She suffered five years of chronic pain and a heart attack from the stress.

"The Catholic church has a way of making the issue the vaccine promotes promiscuity. It doesn't," Penlington said.

Penlington said she "behaved herself," not having sex before marriage, and she still got the virus.

She added parents should be allowed to opt their children out of a vaccination program.

Now read that carefully, a Catholic woman who contracted cancer through her HUSBAND!

Back
Top Bottom