You Just Can't Beat A Religious Education - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
The issue is religious freedom vs. government intervention. Cleario?


you realize, of course, it's just a small step from here to FGM.

religious freedom of course.

in short, if a religious belief harms children, the government absolutely has the right and responsibility to step all over it.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you realize, of course, it's just a small step from here to FGM.

religious freedom of course.

in short, if a religious belief harms children, the government absolutely has the right and responsibility to step all over it.
Would you agree with the following statement:

"if a secular belief harms children, the government absolutely has the right and responsibility to step all over it"
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Would you agree with the following statement:

"if a secular belief harms children, the government absolutely has the right and responsibility to step all over it"


i would argue that the definition of "secular" defies the categorization you've given it. it's not like "religious" and "secular" are opposite sides of the same coin. that's a false equivocation.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

in short, if a religious belief harms children, the government absolutely has the right and responsibility to step all over it.
How are children harmed in this situation?
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
How is it religious freedom?
Does a religious school have the right to have certain religious (or, to quote the original article, "moral") values respected by the government?
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
How are children harmed in this situation?


the vaccine prevents cancer.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Does a religious school have the right to have certain religious (or, to quote the original article, "moral") values respected by the government?
In a private setting yes, if it was funded exclusively through parents or the church then they shouldn't be obligated to allow vaccinations on school premises. But that isn't the case, the school is receiving public money, that should have strings attached and some of the obligations undercut the independence of the school.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the vaccine prevents cancer.
And the school has distributed information about where to get vaccinated. So my question still stands....who is harmed? Where? How?
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #84
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Maybe you should read my posts again. My whole point is not whether this vaccine shouldn't be administered. (I'm rather neutral on the subject.) What I am saying is that a religious school that holds to a higher standard for sexual behavior ought to be the ones to decide whether their values are going to be undercut by a governmental policy. And if they decide that it is, they have every right to say, "we're not going to administer it here." They aren't mandating that kids not get the vaccine. They are happy to direct parents to places where the vaccine can be administered. They are saying that they will not administer the vaccine on school grounds, and when the subject matter has nothing to do with public safety (which would affect a sitation like polio), they should have the right to do so.

The issue is religious freedom vs. government intervention. Cleario?
HIGHeR STANDARD FOR SEXUAL BEHAVIOR? Do you honestly believe this? I didn't think a religious school has anything to do with sex, and rather about teaching their religion alongside mainstream education. I don't think a christian is any more moralistic when it comes to sex then anyone else. Think of how many scandals out there about people prescribing to the christian ideal who are committing affairs, sex with prostitutes, rape and peadophilia.

Do you believe that a public school that has sex ed classes, and perhaps free condoms up at the nurses station is PROMOTING promiscuity.

Secondly, any deadly disease, like cervical cancer can be is serious. It may not be on the scale of polio, but this is why we have the needle, so it won't ever get there.

Another thing is, you say the schools are pointing towards the GP where is can be done, but the damage is done. By saying 'we don't condone the needle because it interfers with our religious ideals (BTW WHERE??)' its setting the scene for the families to go, oh well we definately won't, because St Christophers has said NO, and for the kids that do, there is a stigma around it, like going to get the pill, and if anything we do, surely we need to be taking stigmas AWAY so in future we don't have this mass behind the curtains sexual bullshit that has fucked so many religious people up because of the shame and weirdness associated with S E X, the most natural thing to do.
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
And the school has distributed information about where to get vaccinated. So my question still stands....who is harmed? Where? How?


why is this vaccine different from others?

and i'll point to the above post on government funding.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
why is this vaccine different from others?

and i'll point to the above post on government funding.
I've mentioned repeatedly that government completely funds Catholic schools here. I've also pointed out that parents have to sign consent forms approving any vaccinations that take place in a school setting, taking away the whole consent issue. He hasn't responded to either of those. I can only conclude that the basis of his disapproval rests on the morality issue.




__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #87
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 07:29 AM
Do you think so?

Also i don't think he has a vagina, so what is cervical cancer to him? Just a way of telling girls, heres your consequences for having sex!

I just don't get why if we have something to treat and prevent something, there is issues surrounding it? Surely we should be championing the scietists who discovered it, not lynching anyone who wants to provide it free to people.
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I've mentioned repeatedly that government completely funds Catholic schools here. I've also pointed out that parents have to sign consent forms approving any vaccinations that take place in a school setting, taking away the whole consent issue. He hasn't responded to either of those. I can only conclude that the basis of his disapproval rests on the morality issue.
Read my posts, VP. I'm not talking about my objections. I'm talking about the rights of the school to administer certain vaccines or not.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
Also i don't think he has a vagina, so what is cervical cancer to him? Just a way of telling girls, heres your consequences for having sex!
The issue is not cervical cancer. The issue is government mandates that have no place in a religious school that is willing to give the information to its students but not allow vaccinations on school property. Cleario?

Quote:
I just don't get why if we have something to treat and prevent something, there is issues surrounding it? Surely we should be championing the scietists who discovered it, not lynching anyone who wants to provide it free to people.
Who on earth is being lynched? The school is willing to distribute information to anyone who wants it.

Gosh, I don't know why we don't just hand out clean needles to kids too...
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
HIGHeR STANDARD FOR SEXUAL BEHAVIOR? Do you honestly believe this? I didn't think a religious school has anything to do with sex, and rather about teaching their religion alongside mainstream education. I don't think a christian is any more moralistic when it comes to sex then anyone else.
4 years of Catholic school.
Grew up a preacher's kid.
Went into campus ministry for a while.
I know what I'm talking about.
Do you?
__________________

__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com