You Just Can't Beat A Religious Education - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
The reason they are giving the vaccinations at school is because they can vaccinate a huge amount of students in a short time rather than having each one make an appointment.
So convenience and efficacy of the government trump personal rights when it comes to health decisions?

Quote:
Do you want to make the polio vaccination done only at the doctors as well, or is that ok because its about them walking not having sex.
You seriously want to compare this disease to polio?

Old 09-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Seriously? So anyone from the government can come in and start sticking kids with whatever they want?

Anyone? Come on. If want to play games, fine. But if you want a serious conversation I'll be willing to give it to you.

Anyone from the government? What does that mean? Ya we are going to send down Joe from accounting to start sticking kids with needles, give your head a shake.

I'll explain this very simply.

Schools are funded by taxpayers. All schools, including Catholic.

In Canada we have public health care (as well as UK).

Both of these are government, and in turn, taxpayer funded. So it makes most sense to OFFER these shots at schools where the children are, then to have 100,000 children come to doctors offices and hospitals looking to get the shot. This would cause me, the taxpayer, to have to spend more money. I dont like wasteful spending of my money. Thus the great idea of having the health board, not just anyone, but trained nurses, come to the school and give the shot.

I think its pretty simple, but again, God gets in the way.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoman View Post
I think its pretty simple, but again, God gets in the way.
At a Christian school, run by Christians, with Christian convictions. The school board is not obstructing information, it is providing information to its parents so that they can make an informed decision and move forward from there.

When should the government be allowed to supercede the core convictions of private institutions?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
At a Christian school, run by Christians, with Christian convictions. The school board is not obstructing information, it is providing information to its parents so that they can make an informed decision and move on from there.
Now you get it. Thats exactly what happens, they send a consent form home and the parents sign it or don't. Then the child goes to the gym on a friday afternoon and gets her shot or they sit in class and talk to her friend while everyone else is. God is getting in the way of simple facts. If people dont like it they can easily pull their child out and move them to fully privatized schooling. We have a society to run, and religon should'nt get in the way.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:

When should the government be allowed to supercede the core convictions of private institutions?
These are not private institutions! They are publically funded schools.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
These are not private institutions! They are publically funded schools.
So you think all Catholic schools -- segmented, regimented, teaching religion and morality, etc -- should be shuttered altogether?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
If people dont like it they can easily pull their child out and move them to fully privatized schooling. We have a society to run, and religon should'nt get in the way.
Does a school with a specific religious and ideological worldview have the right to decide how it's going to be run or not? Or should the government run religious schools and institutions too?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #23
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Fear is a poor teaching tool for sexual morality.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Does a school with a specific religious and ideological worldview have the right to decide how it's going to be run or not? Or should the government run religious schools and institutions too?
When they're publicly funded, as they are here, then yes, they should be following what is mandated by our boards of health.

Question - the original article was from the UK, and it stated that it was a 'private' school. If I'm not mistaken, private and public schools have opposite meanings in the UK to what we know them as in North America, no?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Fear is a poor teaching tool for sexual morality.
Yolland, you know how it is with evangelicals. If there's the slightest chance that a female child could grow up to have a sexual experience outside of marriage, nevermind with :gasp: more than one partner, then their lives aren't worth saving.

How sad that some people actually believe this.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Yolland, you know how it is with evangelicals. If there's the slightest chance that a female child could grow up to have a sexual experience outside of marriage, nevermind with :gasp: more than one partner, then their lives aren't worth saving.

How sad that some people actually believe this.
Oh come on! There's more important things than to save this girl's life. There's a believe system to protect!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #27
Refugee

Ok we need to clear something up here. We are talking about three seperate countries here, actually only two as i've yet to see an article from the US.

We manage our health boards and school systems very differently. So please stop comparing this to the USA. Everything should'nt be related to the US. You have no idea how things are run in the UK or Canada.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Oh come on! There's more important things than to save this girl's life. There's a believe system to protect!
You know, even a good evangelical/Catholic girl could get this disease if, as someone mentioned earlier, her husband brought it to the marriage bed, being symptom free.

I guess there's nothing to worry about though when you can be 100 percent certain that both husband and wife were virgins before marriage, right?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sure, God saves you.

Else, if you do have partners before marriage he will dismiss you. Don't you see the light?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #30
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I guess there's nothing to worry about though when you can be 100 percent certain that both husband and wife were virgins before marriage, right?
Yes, rape. Happens quite a lot on college campuses. And unfaithful spouses.

We are raising our daughter, and our sons, with traditional Jewish teachings about sex belonging in marriage (which doesn't in any way exclude comprehensive sex education at the same time), and I make no apologies for that. I also love my daughter far more than I love any ideal, and if she were to acquire cervical cancer via HPV through whatever means, I wouldn't be reassured in the slightest by the idea that Oh well, I did my part by advocating reserving sex for marriage. Furthermore I know many other parents aren't teaching their children that sex is for marriage, or simply aren't discussing sex with them at all, and I want their daughters' chances of avoiding the disease maximized as well.

I expect to discuss all the above frankly with my daughter when she is of age to receive this vaccine. I don't care whether she receives it at school or in a doctor's office. Perhaps someday it will be a required vaccine by many school systems, as several others currently are.

Nothing I've read about it supports the idea that its (reported, not confirmed) serious complications rate is worse than other commonplace vaccines; on the contrary, according to the CDC, it's well below the average rate.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote