Yoplait Ad Promotes Eating Disorders? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 PM
I guess I relate best to the Fourth Meal commercials. I'm far more likely to hit the closest Taco Bell than sit alone giggling while I eat a dandelion. But that's just me...

Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Coconut Liberte yogurt is the tastiest stuff on Earth

Old 06-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #18
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
If you're talking about yogurt, I have never seen yogurt even being marketed to men. Other foods that are "weight conscious" do seem to be marketed mostly to women. That has changed, and will probably change more, since men feel more pressures in that area.
funnily enough, there's a yoghurt brand here in nz that's just started marketing to men. though in this case, they're not marketing it as a weight loss product but just as a nice meal replacement for guys who skip breakfast.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i don't think food pitched at men -- and i can't think of any off the top of my head ... i can only think of beer commercials -- focuses nearly as much on the psychological benefits of either being thin or of eating food that tastes good, or the marriage of the two

That's exactly it

People with eating disorders don't have a healthy sense of self, and that's one reason that the NEDA targets ads like this. As for everyone else, of course it can just be noise that they don't even pay attention to. But I just don't think we need ads promoting that kind of disordered thinking and mind gymnastics. Not healthy.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Sometimes I watch a good deal of TV to unwind and the ads that bug me the most are the ones for cleaning and household products, always depicting a woman 35-45 all dressed up with full hair and makeup, smiling as she goes around picking up after her slobby husband, filthy pets, and bratty kids. I feel like I'm paging through my mom's 1950s editions of LIFE magazine.

Really I don't think the food ads - even ones targeted at women - are any worse or more annoying or inaccurate as 99% of ads on TV in general.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Coconut Liberte yogurt is the tastiest stuff on Earth

Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i don't think food pitched at men -- and i can't think of any off the top of my head ... i can only think of beer commercials -- focuses nearly as much on the psychological benefits of either being thin or of eating food that tastes good, or the marriage of the two. how many O faces do we have to endure while a woman eats chocolate? how much is that salad going to tickle you with laughter? and eating is always so private, too, in these commercials. one woman alone in a room with food.
Funny, because it's true. Like Headache mentioned, in real life it's actually perfectly commonplace for men who're watching their weight to engage in "I've been good/bad on my diet, so I do/don't deserve this treat" thinking. But it's hard to imagine anyone marketing food to men that way...too likely to come across as off-puttingly insecure, fretful and weak. Actually I'm kinda surprised they thought it would be a good idea to use this tactic with women, either--it seems like usually the m.o. with "diet" food ads, regardless of audience, is to directly associate them with triumphantly happy, super-fit, confident people who spontaneously indulge in whatever-it-is without a thought. But anyone who expects food advertising to reflect anything much resembling normal, reasonable eating behavior (It's the richest! The sweetest! The largest! You want it, you got it RIGHT NOW!) is probably barking up the wrong tree. Reimagining human beings as consumption machines who think only in terms of possession/deprivation and reward/punishment leads to some pretty strange places...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Reimagining human beings as consumption machines who think only in terms of possession/deprivation and reward/punishment leads to some pretty strange places...

sounds like an eating disorder?