Yet another Catholic priest caught with... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Btw does anyone know where I can see those Mexican magazine pics online-all of them? Thanks

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Former Catholic priest Alberto Cutié married his longtime girlfriend Tuesday following the scandal that forced him out of the Catholic Church.

According to the Miami-Dade County Clerk of Courts, Cutié and Ruhama Canellis picked up their marriage license Tuesday in Coral Gables and immediately exchanged vows in front of a judge.

Cutié's relationship rocked the Catholic Church when pictures of the couple in questionable poses were published in a Mexican magazine back in May. As a Catholic priest, Cutie swore to celibacy. He later confessed to having a sexual relationship with Canellis and admitted it was his only relationship in the 22 years with the church.

The Archdiocese of Miami removed Cutié from his parish on Miami Beach and he later joined an Episcopal church in North Miami.

There is no word yet if Cutié and Canellis will have a religious ceremony.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Never marry your first girlfriend.

Good for him. I'm happy he's happy.

is all I could find

The text in the middle says: Later she adjusted one of her boobs that almost popped out and then cuddled with him

Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:04 PM
good to have a priest

with some Biblical knowledge
Old 06-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:04 AM
i c wut u did there
Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the pics
Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:04 PM
It's much better than raping children
Old 06-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

I'll take your word on that.

(we could get a second opinion from David Letterman)
Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Here is the aftermath of some other Catholic priests behaviour

YouTube - QandA May 25th - response to question on Ryan Commission Report
Roots of a warped view of sexuality - The Irish Times - Sat, Jun 20, 2009

Quote:
Why is it that child sex abuse was more prevalent in Irish Catholicism than elsewhere? To answer that question it is necessary to go back to the Famine and examine how sex became a taboo, writes PATSY McGARRY
Quote:
Irish names are prominent wherever in the English-speaking world clerical child sex abuse has been spoken of. Even allowing for the uniquely high number of Irish men among Catholic priests and religious worldwide, this phenomenon is striking.
Quote:
It noted all those Irish names among clerical child sex abusers. In Australia, they included Butler, Claffey, Cleary, Coffey, Connolly, Cox, Farrell, Fitzmaurice, Flynn, Gannon, Jordan, Keating, McGrath, McNamara, Murphy, Nestor, O’Brien, O’Donnell, O’Regan, O’Rourke, Riley, Ryan, Shea, Sullivan, Sweeney, Taylor, Treacy.

In Canada: Brown, Corrigan, Hickey, Kelley, O’Connor, Kenney, Maher.

In the US: Geoghan, Birmingham, Brown, Brett, Conway, Dunn, Hanley, Hughes, Lenehan, McEnany, O’Connor, O’Grady, O’Shea, Riley, Ryan, Shanley.

In the UK: Dooley, Flahive, Jordan, Murphy, O’Brien.
Quote:
WHY IS CLERICAL child sex abuse more prevalent in Irish Catholicism? To answer that, it is necessary to go back. Until 1845 the Irish were a happily sexually active people. With an abundance of cheap food, the population grew. Patches of ground were subdivided with ever-decreasing acreage, producing a sufficient supply of potatoes.

In 1841, the island of Ireland had a population of 8.1 million. By 1961, the country having gone through the Famine and emigration, it was 4.2 million.

Another effect was an end to subdivision of holdings and diversification away from the potato to other crops, cattle and dairying. This wrench in land use had a defining effect on Irish sexuality. An economic imperative dictated vigorous sexual restraint as, regardless of family size, just one son would inherit. Others – sons and daughters – emigrated or entered the church. This late 19th-century pattern persisted into the 1960s.

Sex became taboo. Allied to prudery and a Catholic Church fixated on sex as sin, sensuality was pushed under. A celibate elite became the noblest caste. They had unparalleled influence through their dominance of an emerging middle class, the fact that they were educated when most were not, and the control they had over what there was of an education system and healthcare
Old 06-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Right idea. Unfortunate timing.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #55
Forum Moderator

Hmmm, interesting theory, although...
Quote:
Even allowing for the uniquely high number of Irish men among Catholic priests and religious worldwide, this phenomenon is striking.
^ ...I would really want to see some actual statistics here, rather than just this vague assertion. What proportion of priests overall are Irish and what proportion of priests convicted of sexual abuse are Irish? And when we talk about 'Irish' priests outside Ireland, are we talking actual Irishmen, or are we including, say, fourth-generation white Aussies/Americans/Canucks/Brits who happen to have an Irish surname, which really may not say much at all about what kind of (sub)culture they grew up in?

I remember hearing a radio interview awhile back with a psychologist who had worked with numerous priests guilty of sexual abuse. His theory, as I recall, was that men drawn to the (Catholic) priesthood are disproportionally likely to be psychosexually stunted to begin with--men who are academically and perhaps in certain ways socially successful (though they do tend to be quite introverted and shy), but never progressed to normal maturity in terms of dealing with sexual and romantic attractions in their social relationships. Therefore, if and when they do experience problems remaining celibate, the uncontrollable desires troubling them are often directed towards children rather than adults--because on a psychosexual level, children are in some sense still their 'peer group'. Worse, because this type of attraction is deeply taboo, they're simultaneously filled with shame over it, which not only makes it harder for them to maturely reckon with it as a priest with normal sexual desires (i.e. towards other adults) might, but also makes them afraid to discuss their feelings with clerical peers who in theory are there to help them. He also suggested that this is basically the psychology of many child molesters in general, and that there's nothing particularly unique to abusive priests about it.

I suppose his theory isn't necessarily incompatible with the one in the article, but it certainly seems much more compellingly fleshed out.
Quote:
In April 2002 the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre published a report titled Sexual Abuse and Violence in Ireland . It found that 30 per cent of Irish women and 24 per cent of Irish men had been sexually abused as children. In the rest of Europe, corresponding figures are 17 per cent for women and 5 per cent for men. In the US, they are 29 per cent for women and 7 per cent for men.
Now this I found startling. Does this seem plausible to you, fg? That nearly a third of the women and a quarter of the men you've known in your lifetime were sexually abused as children? That seems like a stunningly high figure to me. (And I wonder what range of things they're considering 'child sexual abuse' here? Forcible rape, repeated fondling, an older cousin pinching your behind or giving you a wedgie one time, what?) Also startling how much higher compared to 'the rest of Europe' the reported rate for US women is, yet not for men--why might that be?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Times are changing, is all I can say, even in religious areas. Conservative and traditional people may think it's a bad thing. But like many others said, it's better than raping children.

Sex as a taboo thing? So centuries ago. Welcome to 2009.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Right idea. Unfortunate timing.

I know John Paul II was popular. But don't think his hands weren't dirty with covering up all the sex abuse,
by hiring powerful attorneys to beat back or reach non-disclose settlements.

At the time I had heard of several sex abuse stories and even known victims. I also was aware of the the Church's hard ball tactics.

Sinead, was right.
The public's lack of interest and looking the other way, they (we) were the party guilty of bad timing.
And the Church is still covering up abuse and making victim's go though more Hell on earth.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post

I remember hearing a radio interview awhile back with a psychologist who had worked with numerous priests guilty of sexual abuse. His theory, as I recall, was that men drawn to the (Catholic) priesthood are disproportionally likely to be psychosexually stunted to begin with--men who are academically and perhaps in certain ways socially successful (though they do tend to be quite introverted and shy), but never progressed to normal maturity in terms of dealing with sexual and romantic attractions in their social relationships. Therefore, if and when they do experience problems remaining celibate, the uncontrollable desires troubling them are often directed towards children rather than adults--because on a psychosexual level, children are in some sense still their 'peer group'. Worse, because this type of attraction is deeply taboo, they're simultaneously filled with shame over it, which not only makes it harder for them to maturely reckon with it as a priest with normal sexual desires (i.e. towards other adults) might, but also makes them afraid to discuss their feelings with clerical peers who in theory are there to help them. He also suggested that this is basically the psychology of many child molesters in general, and that there's nothing particularly unique to abusive priests about it.
As I was reading the above paragraph, I was thinking to myself that it sounds like the psychological profile of most pedophiles, and then the last sentence confirmed that. Of course, the other ingredient that most of them have in common is that they were sexually abused as children, as well.

Quote:

Does this seem plausible to you, fg? That nearly a third of the women and a quarter of the men you've known in your lifetime were sexually abused as children? That seems like a stunningly high figure to me. (And I wonder what range of things they're considering 'child sexual abuse' here? Forcible rape, repeated fondling, an older cousin pinching your behind or giving you a wedgie one time, what?) Also startling how much higher compared to 'the rest of Europe' the reported rate for US women is, yet not for men--why might that be?
I'm interested in hearing financeguy's reply as well, but a quick google brought up a couple of interesting articles about the pervasiveness of sexual abuse of children in Ireland, and much of it seems connected to church run residential schools for children.

Revealed, six decades of 'ritual' child abuse: Catholic schools and orphanages damned in report | Mail Online

Church leaders and government watchdogs covered up 'endemic' and 'ritualised' abuse of thousands of children in Roman Catholic schools and orphanages in the Irish Republic, a shocking report revealed yesterday.

For six decades, priests and nuns terrorised boys and girls in the workhouse-style schools with sexual, physical and mental abuse.

But officials in Ireland's Catholic Church shielded paedophile staff from arrest to protect their own reputations despite knowing they were serial attackers, according to the 2,600-page report, which took nine years to complete.

Irish government inspectors also failed to stop the chronic beatings, rape and humiliation, it found.

About 35,000 children and teenagers who were orphans, petty thieves, truants, unmarried mothers or from dysfunctional families were sent to Ireland's network of 250 Church-run industrial schools, reformatories, orphanages and hostels from the 1930s up until the early 1990s.

The report by Ireland's Commission to Inquire Into Child Abuse found 'a climate of fear, created by pervasive, excessive and arbitrary punishment, permeated most of the institutions and all those run for boys'.

It added: 'Children lived with the daily terror of not knowing where the next beating was coming from.'

Judge Sean Ryan, who chaired the commission, said that when confronted with evidence of sex abuse, religious authorities responded by moving the sex offenders to another location, where in many instances they were free to abuse again.

'There was evidence that such men took up teaching positions sometimes within days of receiving dispensations because of serious allegations or admissions of sexual abuse,' the report said.

'The safety of children in general was not a consideration.'

The leader of Ireland's four million Catholics, Cardinal Sean Brady, said he was 'sorry and deeply ashamed' after the report was published yesterday.

'Children deserved better and especially from those caring for them in the name of Jesus Christ,' he said.

The report found that molestation and rape were 'endemic' in boys' facilities, chiefly run by the Christian Brothers order.

Girls supervised by orders of nuns, chiefly the Sisters of Mercy, suffered much less sexual abuse but frequent assaults and humiliation designed to make them feel worthless.

'In some schools a high level of ritualised beating was routine,' the report said.

'Girls were struck with implements designed to maximize pain and were struck on all parts of the body. Personal and family denigration was widespread.'

Victims of the system have long demanded that the truth of their experiences be documented and made public.

But some victims' groups said the report didn't go far enough, particularly because there will not be any prosecutions as a result.

This is because in 2004 the Christian Brothers secured a ruling that guaranteed all of its members, dead or alive, would remain anonymous in the report.

John Kelly, from victim group Irish Survivors of Child Abuse, said the report should have examined how children like himself were taken away from parents without just cause, and why Irish governments ceded control over the lives of so many young people to the Church.

He said any apologies offered now were 'hollow, shallow and have no substance or merit at all'.

The group's John Walsh said he felt 'cheated and deceived' that the perpetrators would not be brought to justice.

Mr Walsh said: 'I would have never opened my wounds if I'd known this was going to be the end result. It has devastated me and will devastate most victims because there are no criminal proceedings and no accountability whatsoever.'

The victims were also banned from entering the Press conference on the report held in a Dublin hotel.

Ellen O'Malley-Dunlop, chief executive of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, said of the victims: 'The way that they have been treated here has been disgraceful and is in effect little more than a repetition of abusive behaviour.'

There's also a wikipedia article that gives some background, and talks about the commission formed in Ireland to examine this issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commiss...to_Child_Abuse

The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse (CICA) is one of a range of measures introduced by the Irish Government to investigate the extent and effects of abuse on children from 1936 onwards. It is generally known in Ireland as the "Ryan report"[1] or "the Ryan Commission" (previously "the Laffoy Commission"), after its chair, Justice Seán Ryan. The Commission's work started in 1999 and it published its public report on 20 May 2009.

Though the Commission's remit encompassed all forms of child abuse outside the family, the majority of allegations it investigated related to the system of residential "Reformatory and Industrial Schools" operated by Catholic Church orders, funded and supervised by the Irish Department of Education.

The Commission's report said testimony had demonstrated beyond a doubt that the entire system treated children more like prison inmates and slaves than people with legal rights and human potential, that church officials encouraged ritual beatings and consistently shielded their orders' paedophiles from arrest amid a "culture of self-serving secrecy", and that government inspectors failed to stop the chronic beatings, rapes and humiliation.[2]

Those abused were, amongst other things, stripped, beaten and raped by nuns, subjected to naked beatings in public, forced into oral sex and even subjected to beatings after failed rape attempts by brothers.[3] One person described how they attempted to tell nuns they had been molested by an ambulance driver only to be "stripped naked and whipped by four nuns to 'get the devil out of you'".[3] Another described how they were removed from their bed and "made to walk around naked with other boys whilst brothers used their canes and flicked at their penis".[3] Yet another was "tied to a cross and raped whilst others masturbated at the side".[3]

The abuse has been described by some as Ireland's Holocaust.[4][5] The abuse was said to be "endemic" across Irish educational institutions.[6] The UK based Guardian newspaper, described the abuse as "the stuff of nightmares", citing the adjectives used in the report as being particularly chilling: "systemic, pervasive, chronic, excessive, arbitrary, endemic".[7]

Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #59
Refugee

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The public's lack of interest and looking the other way, they (we) were the party guilty of bad timing. And the Church is still covering up abuse and making victim's go though more Hell on earth.
That's exactly where my comment was directed.

At the time, the public just was not ready to listen or deal with the issue - and to some degree still isn't. A promising music career was also torpedoed in the process.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Now this I found startling. Does this seem plausible to you, fg? That nearly a third of the women and a quarter of the men you've known in your lifetime were sexually abused as children? That seems like a stunningly high figure to me. (And I wonder what range of things they're considering 'child sexual abuse' here? Forcible rape, repeated fondling, an older cousin pinching your behind or giving you a wedgie one time, what?) Also startling how much higher compared to 'the rest of Europe' the reported rate for US women is, yet not for men--why might that be?
It does not seem plausible to me. The organisation that produced that statistic may have an agenda.

Tags
catholicism, celibacy