Yet another Catholic priest caught with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interview from 2006

Father Oprah' Explains How to Make Love Last
Father Albert Cutié on how to keep your relationships strong during tough times.

BY: Interview by Charlotte Allen

Editor's Note: Father Albert Cutie participated in this interview with Beliefnet in February 2006. Recently, he was placed on leave after photographs of the priest with a woman on a beach were published in a magazine

As a celibate Catholic priest, you've probably been asked this before. How can you give advice to married people and people who want to get married?

You don't have to be mentally ill to be a good psychiatrist. I don't think you have to be someone who has a real problem in order to relate to people's problems. When you are in the help industry, especially as a priest, rabbi, or minister, you're constantly hearing from people talking about marriage or sexual dysfunction. People naturally turn to religious figures for advice. Half the people who write to me are not Catholic.

In the Spanish-speaking world, everybody gets that. In the English-speaking world, however, people always ask, "What authority does that person have to talk about relationships?" It's prejudices and biases and stereotypes about what a priest can and can't offer. But in the Spanish-speaking world, that's never been an issue for me, because those who have listened to my shows or watched them or read my columns, they get what I do: It's no-nonsense practical advice for everyday life. It's not dogmatic and pushing religion down your throat.

What advice do you give to single people about finding a mate who's right for them?

People usually come to me with a very definite idea of who the ideal person is for them. It usually has to do with some physical characteristic. I tell them: That's not important. What is important is seeking out someone you can love and give your life to. You have to base your search for a mate on the capacity to form those strong and lasting relationships.

What is the biggest impediment in today's society to forming strong and lasting relationships?

The biggest issue is courtship and how people meet. There are things like speed-dating, where people say they are too busy to spend a lot of time getting to know someone and want to form a lasting relationship based on just a couple of dates.

When people are serious about a relationship today, they have to be careful not to fall into the traps that are out there. For example, rushing into physical intimacy. The relationship begins with the carriage in front of the horse. We rush into this very deep aspect of the relationship before we know each other, before we share our common values and goals for life. People are getting hurt left and right. In my book, I talk about how to establish the foundations first.

You talk in your book about our very high divorce rate. Are married people not making enough effort to save their marriages?

There's a difference between getting out of a marriage because you've been abused, mistreated--and you've tried everything and there's nothing you can do--and going into a marriage thinking if things don't go my way, I'm getting out. There are good reasons to separate and divorce when there's an abusive relationship, when things are not well, and when people are inhumane with each other.

But the real issue is that people go into marriage thinking, "When things don't go my way, I'm outta there." Just that attitude is single-handedly responsible for lots of divorces. People are not willing to struggle enough to keep this thing going. When they have issues—sexuality issues, communication issues, just basic unhappiness with themselves—they think, "If I get out of this, I'm going to feel better."

What you find with a lot of couples is that they leave their marriages, get remarried, and find the same dissatisfaction once again. It doesn't actually get better.

Divorce is never easy. It usually creates a real long-term emotional struggle, and people suffer. In some cases, it's the only way out—I totally understand—but in many cases, it's the attitude you enter the marriage with.

Have you been able to persuade people to stay in a marriage where the problems weren't those obvious, serious ones such as abuse?

I've never seen that as my role. What I try to do is to facilitate the couple with two things. First, to be totally honest with them, to be that third party that tries to be as neutral as possible. Second, I try to give them some common sense, practical advice without the guilt trip of "Oh, you're failing your marriage." People need a helping hand, not a judge. Let God be the judge.

When I see that the couple is serious, which most of the people are, I send them to counseling. I don't want them to think if they came to me, that's it. No. You came to me, you're beginning to scratch the surface. You need to commit yourself to a long-term counseling situation.

Psychology Today, which is not very church-friendly, put out a study—I believe in 1987 or so, I was in the seminary and I remember reading it with great care—it said Catholic celibate priests are among the best marriage counselors. People said, "Why?" Well, because when people come to them, people believe their advice is not just based on a common-sense practical psychological authority, it's also based on a spiritual moral authority. If the priest says to them, "You know, you need to seek a counselor," people are more prone to follow through.

In the book, I say, "Seek wise people, people who have lived successful marriages, and talk to them." A lot of girls having trouble in their marriages, who are they hanging out with? Their divorced and separated friends. Well, guess what? That ain't gonna help you very much.

We have life coaches for work, we have mentoring programs. Why don't we have mentors for our personal lives and relationships?

Your book seems to gently prod people toward what is essentially a traditional Christian view of marriage: fidelity, sticking with marriage for the long haul, self-giving. Will those Judeo-Christian values work for everyone? A lot of people who have no religion must come to you.

If you want to enter a lasting relationship, you need common human values, apart from the spiritual values of faith and religion. Sometimes we may confuse traditional Christian values with basic human values: respect your neighbor, treat others well. But the book offers a perspective of faith. Faith and spirituality somehow help couples. It helps those who are seeking something more, a greater challenge.

That sounds like the life of a psychologist and a psychiatrist. Those people are not supposed to talk about their sessions with people at all. If they can do it, a priest could.

I think priests should be permitted to marry.

But I think this comparison is off. If you are talking about a priest and his wife who are heavily included and involved in a community of faithful, then it is much more likely that he could not really speak to his spouse even in general terms. Whereas a good friend of mine is the son of two psychotherapists, each of whom have their own distinct practice in a very large city, and they regularly discuss "issues" at home, without breaching confidentiality. But at the same time, neither is privy to the other's patient list nor would have had any reason to ever meet or interact with the spouse's patients socially. That would not be the case for a priest's wife, who would logically probably attend mass and take part in other activities in the parish.

I think priests should be allowed to marry, but I almost feel tempted to vote for Deep's solution

The easiest (and I am tempted to say best) solution would be if people just stopped being priests.

What would be your substitute then (besides no more religion)?

Oh let them get married. I was recently shocked to find out this celibacy stuff didn't start until about the thirteenth century. Turn it back, keep them happier, stop the molestation.

I think the Catholic Church is far too entrenched in it's stance on things like priests being able to marry, homosexuality etc. to make massive back flips like this. I mean, what is the Pope going to say?! "Oh yeh nah God told me this morning or somefin that priests can marry n shit, it turns out guyz are meant to fuk chikz lolz."
Oh so God doesn't make infallible mandates anymore? And as secular society becomes increasingly accepting of homosexuality, the Church will never be able to backflip on their stance with that issue without completely sacrificing all of their credibility to make absolute moral laws.

I say let the Church stick to their guns, and watch it become more and more out of touch with the world and eventually people will become alienated by it and the Church will lose its power. I want to see the Church crumble as I see it as one of the most morally abhorent institutions mankind has ever invented, a brief exercise in history will verify that.

In its place I propose a Church of Christopher Hitchens.... :up:
All we do is drink (just enough to kill a horse), smoke like a chimney, slur our words and condescend to anyone that isn't ourselves. :wink:
I love you Christopher :cute:

MIAMI (AP) - A popular Miami priest and media personality known as "Father Oprah" has left the Catholic Church and joined the Episcopal Church after he was photographed cavorting on the beach with his girlfriend.

The Rev. Alberto Cutie (KOO'-tee-ay) was removed from his Miami Beach church after photos of him kissing and embracing a woman appeared in the pages of a Spanish-language magazine earlier this month.

He was received into Episcopal Church in a ceremony Thursday at Trinity Cathedral and may later announce he will marry his girlfriend, which is allowed in that denomination. He must complete other requirements before serving as an Episcopal priest.

Cutie spoke briefly at a press conference and read a statement in English and Spanish. He quoted from the book of Psalms and said, "More than ever, I'm assured that God is love."

He continued, "I have searched my soul and sought God's guidance for a long time."

Before walking away without answering questions, Cutie thanked supporters and asked the media to respect his privacy.

"I thank God for the many people in our community who have shown me their love and support," Cutie said in a statement released earlier Thursday. "Your prayers have truly sustained me at this time of transition in my life. With God's help, I hope to continue priestly ministry and service in my new spiritual home."

He's still hot-that's really all I have left to say

My pastor is cute but his personality is so unthere and he's so old fashioned for his age that it's a Glamour don't...

MIAMI (AP) - A popular Miami priest and media personality known as "Father Oprah" has left the Catholic Church and joined the Episcopal Church after he was photographed cavorting on the beach with his girlfriend.

The Rev. Alberto Cutie (KOO'-tee-ay) was removed from his Miami Beach church after photos of him kissing and embracing a woman appeared in the pages of a Spanish-language magazine earlier this month.

He was received into Episcopal Church in a ceremony Thursday at Trinity Cathedral and may later announce he will marry his girlfriend, which is allowed in that denomination. He must complete other requirements before serving as an Episcopal priest.

Cutie spoke briefly at a press conference and read a statement in English and Spanish. He quoted from the book of Psalms and said, "More than ever, I'm assured that God is love."

He continued, "I have searched my soul and sought God's guidance for a long time."

Before walking away without answering questions, Cutie thanked supporters and asked the media to respect his privacy.

"I thank God for the many people in our community who have shown me their love and support," Cutie said in a statement released earlier Thursday. "Your prayers have truly sustained me at this time of transition in my life. With God's help, I hope to continue priestly ministry and service in my new spiritual home."

Beat me to it! I'm slow on the internets today.

:up: for him, but he's not taking any die-hard Catholics with him. It was good to see them stick up for him, however. Ending celibacy is not an issue with parishioners, but with the institution. I don't think it's going to change very soon.

He's also not referring to her as his girlfriend, but as his fiance. I hope he is able to start a family and continue his good work. There's no reason why he can't. :)

Btw does anyone know where I can see those Mexican magazine pics online-all of them? Thanks :wink:

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Former Catholic priest Alberto Cutié married his longtime girlfriend Tuesday following the scandal that forced him out of the Catholic Church.

According to the Miami-Dade County Clerk of Courts, Cutié and Ruhama Canellis picked up their marriage license Tuesday in Coral Gables and immediately exchanged vows in front of a judge.

Cutié's relationship rocked the Catholic Church when pictures of the couple in questionable poses were published in a Mexican magazine back in May. As a Catholic priest, Cutie swore to celibacy. He later confessed to having a sexual relationship with Canellis and admitted it was his only relationship in the 22 years with the church.

The Archdiocese of Miami removed Cutié from his parish on Miami Beach and he later joined an Episcopal church in North Miami.

There is no word yet if Cutié and Canellis will have a religious ceremony.

Never marry your first girlfriend. :wink:

Good for him. I'm happy he's happy.

alberto.jpg
is all I could find

The text in the middle says: Later she adjusted one of her boobs that almost popped out and then cuddled with him

Here is the aftermath of some other Catholic priests behaviour

YouTube - QandA May 25th - response to question on Ryan Commission Report

Roots of a warped view of sexuality - The Irish Times - Sat, Jun 20, 2009

Why is it that child sex abuse was more prevalent in Irish Catholicism than elsewhere? To answer that question it is necessary to go back to the Famine and examine how sex became a taboo, writes PATSY McGARRY

Irish names are prominent wherever in the English-speaking world clerical child sex abuse has been spoken of. Even allowing for the uniquely high number of Irish men among Catholic priests and religious worldwide, this phenomenon is striking.

It noted all those Irish names among clerical child sex abusers. In Australia, they included Butler, Claffey, Cleary, Coffey, Connolly, Cox, Farrell, Fitzmaurice, Flynn, Gannon, Jordan, Keating, McGrath, McNamara, Murphy, Nestor, O’Brien, O’Donnell, O’Regan, O’Rourke, Riley, Ryan, Shea, Sullivan, Sweeney, Taylor, Treacy.

In Canada: Brown, Corrigan, Hickey, Kelley, O’Connor, Kenney, Maher.

In the US: Geoghan, Birmingham, Brown, Brett, Conway, Dunn, Hanley, Hughes, Lenehan, McEnany, O’Connor, O’Grady, O’Shea, Riley, Ryan, Shanley.

In the UK: Dooley, Flahive, Jordan, Murphy, O’Brien.

WHY IS CLERICAL child sex abuse more prevalent in Irish Catholicism? To answer that, it is necessary to go back. Until 1845 the Irish were a happily sexually active people. With an abundance of cheap food, the population grew. Patches of ground were subdivided with ever-decreasing acreage, producing a sufficient supply of potatoes.

In 1841, the island of Ireland had a population of 8.1 million. By 1961, the country having gone through the Famine and emigration, it was 4.2 million.

Another effect was an end to subdivision of holdings and diversification away from the potato to other crops, cattle and dairying. This wrench in land use had a defining effect on Irish sexuality. An economic imperative dictated vigorous sexual restraint as, regardless of family size, just one son would inherit. Others – sons and daughters – emigrated or entered the church. This late 19th-century pattern persisted into the 1960s.

Sex became taboo. Allied to prudery and a Catholic Church fixated on sex as sin, sensuality was pushed under. A celibate elite became the noblest caste. They had unparalleled influence through their dominance of an emerging middle class, the fact that they were educated when most were not, and the control they had over what there was of an education system and healthcare

Hmmm, interesting theory, although...
Even allowing for the uniquely high number of Irish men among Catholic priests and religious worldwide, this phenomenon is striking.
^ ...I would really want to see some actual statistics here, rather than just this vague assertion. What proportion of priests overall are Irish and what proportion of priests convicted of sexual abuse are Irish? And when we talk about 'Irish' priests outside Ireland, are we talking actual Irishmen, or are we including, say, fourth-generation white Aussies/Americans/Canucks/Brits who happen to have an Irish surname, which really may not say much at all about what kind of (sub)culture they grew up in?

I remember hearing a radio interview awhile back with a psychologist who had worked with numerous priests guilty of sexual abuse. His theory, as I recall, was that men drawn to the (Catholic) priesthood are disproportionally likely to be psychosexually stunted to begin with--men who are academically and perhaps in certain ways socially successful (though they do tend to be quite introverted and shy), but never progressed to normal maturity in terms of dealing with sexual and romantic attractions in their social relationships. Therefore, if and when they do experience problems remaining celibate, the uncontrollable desires troubling them are often directed towards children rather than adults--because on a psychosexual level, children are in some sense still their 'peer group'. Worse, because this type of attraction is deeply taboo, they're simultaneously filled with shame over it, which not only makes it harder for them to maturely reckon with it as a priest with normal sexual desires (i.e. towards other adults) might, but also makes them afraid to discuss their feelings with clerical peers who in theory are there to help them. He also suggested that this is basically the psychology of many child molesters in general, and that there's nothing particularly unique to abusive priests about it.

I suppose his theory isn't necessarily incompatible with the one in the article, but it certainly seems much more compellingly fleshed out.
In April 2002 the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre published a report titled Sexual Abuse and Violence in Ireland . It found that 30 per cent of Irish women and 24 per cent of Irish men had been sexually abused as children. In the rest of Europe, corresponding figures are 17 per cent for women and 5 per cent for men. In the US, they are 29 per cent for women and 7 per cent for men.
Now this I found startling. Does this seem plausible to you, fg? That nearly a third of the women and a quarter of the men you've known in your lifetime were sexually abused as children? That seems like a stunningly high figure to me. (And I wonder what range of things they're considering 'child sexual abuse' here? Forcible rape, repeated fondling, an older cousin pinching your behind or giving you a wedgie one time, what?) Also startling how much higher compared to 'the rest of Europe' the reported rate for US women is, yet not for men--why might that be?

Times are changing, is all I can say, even in religious areas. Conservative and traditional people may think it's a bad thing. But like many others said, it's better than raping children.

Sex as a taboo thing? So centuries ago. Welcome to 2009.

Right idea. Unfortunate timing.

38073.imgcache

I know John Paul II was popular. But don't think his hands weren't dirty with covering up all the sex abuse,
by hiring powerful attorneys to beat back or reach non-disclose settlements.

At the time I had heard of several sex abuse stories and even known victims. I also was aware of the the Church's hard ball tactics.

Sinead, was right.
The public's lack of interest and looking the other way, they (we) were the party guilty of bad timing.
And the Church is still covering up abuse and making victim's go though more Hell on earth.

I remember hearing a radio interview awhile back with a psychologist who had worked with numerous priests guilty of sexual abuse. His theory, as I recall, was that men drawn to the (Catholic) priesthood are disproportionally likely to be psychosexually stunted to begin with--men who are academically and perhaps in certain ways socially successful (though they do tend to be quite introverted and shy), but never progressed to normal maturity in terms of dealing with sexual and romantic attractions in their social relationships. Therefore, if and when they do experience problems remaining celibate, the uncontrollable desires troubling them are often directed towards children rather than adults--because on a psychosexual level, children are in some sense still their 'peer group'. Worse, because this type of attraction is deeply taboo, they're simultaneously filled with shame over it, which not only makes it harder for them to maturely reckon with it as a priest with normal sexual desires (i.e. towards other adults) might, but also makes them afraid to discuss their feelings with clerical peers who in theory are there to help them. He also suggested that this is basically the psychology of many child molesters in general, and that there's nothing particularly unique to abusive priests about it.

As I was reading the above paragraph, I was thinking to myself that it sounds like the psychological profile of most pedophiles, and then the last sentence confirmed that. Of course, the other ingredient that most of them have in common is that they were sexually abused as children, as well.

Does this seem plausible to you, fg? That nearly a third of the women and a quarter of the men you've known in your lifetime were sexually abused as children? That seems like a stunningly high figure to me. (And I wonder what range of things they're considering 'child sexual abuse' here? Forcible rape, repeated fondling, an older cousin pinching your behind or giving you a wedgie one time, what?) Also startling how much higher compared to 'the rest of Europe' the reported rate for US women is, yet not for men--why might that be?

I'm interested in hearing financeguy's reply as well, but a quick google brought up a couple of interesting articles about the pervasiveness of sexual abuse of children in Ireland, and much of it seems connected to church run residential schools for children.

Revealed, six decades of 'ritual' child abuse: Catholic schools and orphanages damned in report | Mail Online

Church leaders and government watchdogs covered up 'endemic' and 'ritualised' abuse of thousands of children in Roman Catholic schools and orphanages in the Irish Republic, a shocking report revealed yesterday.

For six decades, priests and nuns terrorised boys and girls in the workhouse-style schools with sexual, physical and mental abuse.

But officials in Ireland's Catholic Church shielded paedophile staff from arrest to protect their own reputations despite knowing they were serial attackers, according to the 2,600-page report, which took nine years to complete.

Irish government inspectors also failed to stop the chronic beatings, rape and humiliation, it found.

About 35,000 children and teenagers who were orphans, petty thieves, truants, unmarried mothers or from dysfunctional families were sent to Ireland's network of 250 Church-run industrial schools, reformatories, orphanages and hostels from the 1930s up until the early 1990s.

The report by Ireland's Commission to Inquire Into Child Abuse found 'a climate of fear, created by pervasive, excessive and arbitrary punishment, permeated most of the institutions and all those run for boys'.

It added: 'Children lived with the daily terror of not knowing where the next beating was coming from.'

Judge Sean Ryan, who chaired the commission, said that when confronted with evidence of sex abuse, religious authorities responded by moving the sex offenders to another location, where in many instances they were free to abuse again.

'There was evidence that such men took up teaching positions sometimes within days of receiving dispensations because of serious allegations or admissions of sexual abuse,' the report said.

'The safety of children in general was not a consideration.'

The leader of Ireland's four million Catholics, Cardinal Sean Brady, said he was 'sorry and deeply ashamed' after the report was published yesterday.

'Children deserved better and especially from those caring for them in the name of Jesus Christ,' he said.

The report found that molestation and rape were 'endemic' in boys' facilities, chiefly run by the Christian Brothers order.

Girls supervised by orders of nuns, chiefly the Sisters of Mercy, suffered much less sexual abuse but frequent assaults and humiliation designed to make them feel worthless.

'In some schools a high level of ritualised beating was routine,' the report said.

'Girls were struck with implements designed to maximize pain and were struck on all parts of the body. Personal and family denigration was widespread.'

Victims of the system have long demanded that the truth of their experiences be documented and made public.

But some victims' groups said the report didn't go far enough, particularly because there will not be any prosecutions as a result.

This is because in 2004 the Christian Brothers secured a ruling that guaranteed all of its members, dead or alive, would remain anonymous in the report.

John Kelly, from victim group Irish Survivors of Child Abuse, said the report should have examined how children like himself were taken away from parents without just cause, and why Irish governments ceded control over the lives of so many young people to the Church.

He said any apologies offered now were 'hollow, shallow and have no substance or merit at all'.

The group's John Walsh said he felt 'cheated and deceived' that the perpetrators would not be brought to justice.

Mr Walsh said: 'I would have never opened my wounds if I'd known this was going to be the end result. It has devastated me and will devastate most victims because there are no criminal proceedings and no accountability whatsoever.'

The victims were also banned from entering the Press conference on the report held in a Dublin hotel.

Ellen O'Malley-Dunlop, chief executive of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, said of the victims: 'The way that they have been treated here has been disgraceful and is in effect little more than a repetition of abusive behaviour.'

There's also a wikipedia article that gives some background, and talks about the commission formed in Ireland to examine this issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_to_Inquire_into_Child_Abuse

The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse (CICA) is one of a range of measures introduced by the Irish Government to investigate the extent and effects of abuse on children from 1936 onwards. It is generally known in Ireland as the "Ryan report"[1] or "the Ryan Commission" (previously "the Laffoy Commission"), after its chair, Justice Seán Ryan. The Commission's work started in 1999 and it published its public report on 20 May 2009.

Though the Commission's remit encompassed all forms of child abuse outside the family, the majority of allegations it investigated related to the system of residential "Reformatory and Industrial Schools" operated by Catholic Church orders, funded and supervised by the Irish Department of Education.

The Commission's report said testimony had demonstrated beyond a doubt that the entire system treated children more like prison inmates and slaves than people with legal rights and human potential, that church officials encouraged ritual beatings and consistently shielded their orders' paedophiles from arrest amid a "culture of self-serving secrecy", and that government inspectors failed to stop the chronic beatings, rapes and humiliation.[2]

Those abused were, amongst other things, stripped, beaten and raped by nuns, subjected to naked beatings in public, forced into oral sex and even subjected to beatings after failed rape attempts by brothers.[3] One person described how they attempted to tell nuns they had been molested by an ambulance driver only to be "stripped naked and whipped by four nuns to 'get the devil out of you'".[3] Another described how they were removed from their bed and "made to walk around naked with other boys whilst brothers used their canes and flicked at their penis".[3] Yet another was "tied to a cross and raped whilst others masturbated at the side".[3]

The abuse has been described by some as Ireland's Holocaust.[4][5] The abuse was said to be "endemic" across Irish educational institutions.[6] The UK based Guardian newspaper, described the abuse as "the stuff of nightmares", citing the adjectives used in the report as being particularly chilling: "systemic, pervasive, chronic, excessive, arbitrary, endemic".[7]

The public's lack of interest and looking the other way, they (we) were the party guilty of bad timing. And the Church is still covering up abuse and making victim's go though more Hell on earth.

That's exactly where my comment was directed. :up:

At the time, the public just was not ready to listen or deal with the issue - and to some degree still isn't. A promising music career was also torpedoed in the process.

Now this I found startling. Does this seem plausible to you, fg? That nearly a third of the women and a quarter of the men you've known in your lifetime were sexually abused as children? That seems like a stunningly high figure to me. (And I wonder what range of things they're considering 'child sexual abuse' here? Forcible rape, repeated fondling, an older cousin pinching your behind or giving you a wedgie one time, what?) Also startling how much higher compared to 'the rest of Europe' the reported rate for US women is, yet not for men--why might that be?

It does not seem plausible to me. The organisation that produced that statistic may have an agenda.

Back
Top Bottom