Would You Ever Want to Go to Space?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadForIt

Refugee
Personally, no. I dont see the big fuss about it. Nothing exisits out there, there are no aliens and it costs so much money. (waste)

AND if your out there and something goes wrong, your screwed.

Absolutely. If space travel could ever be affordable-ish (unlikely), a nice little niche market would probably open up for it, made up of people like myself.

I would love it, there would be no greater adventure than going into space and seeing our fragile world, the prospect of finding out the geology of other planets really excites me.

Personally, no. I dont see the big fuss about it. Nothing exisits out there, there are no aliens and it costs so much money. (waste)

AND if your out there and something goes wrong, your screwed.

Actually, we can't actually say that there's NOTHING out there. I personally believe that there are other forms of life in outer space (whatever they may turn out to be). Earth is only one planet out of 1 billion trillion zillion gaziliion...and so on....planets out there - it's totally arrogant to think that we are the only ones existing in this vast universe.

I agree though that there are NO second chances in outer space - you ARE screwed if something goes wrong.

To answer the question - I don't know if I'd like to go into deep space but I think it would be interesting to just skim the boundaries of our atmosphere and get a tiny feel of being an angel.....

While we're on the subject, here's a little clip about the Space Elevator project (gives the term "going down" a whole different perspective....lol).

YouTube - space elevator

hell yeah id go!

space is a topic of interest to me. to think of the distances involved and the possibilies of what is out there is mind-boggling. :nerd:

I'd want to, but I think it would be scary. Just the distance of it...wow.

The idea of it is awesome-the reality, no. I'm scared enough in a regular plane.

Plus drinking recycled urine-I'm all for recycling and doing my part for the environment but come on. And just the going to the bathroom issues :yikes:

I actually have zero desire to go into space; there are too many places here on earth that I haven't seen yet and would love to see first.

:shrug:

It all depends what we mean by 'space', doesn't it guys? If we're talking about the local neighbourhood, well we do pretty much know what is there already. If we're talking much further afield, well that's a whole other matter. I guess I'll wait until the engineering problems are overcome.

I love it when people say there's no aliens. Not because I necessarily think they are a dime a dozen the way they in are programs like Doctor Who or Star Trek, but because our sights are awfully limited at this point. We just don't know. We need to consider the possibility of other life forms that are below us in development. What if we are the first?

Now how would we go about detecting an intelligent civilisation on, fuck I don't know, one of those planetary systems they're picking up in recent years... but one which was at a sort of ancient-Egypt stage. They're hardly going to be generating much noise.

Oh yeah? I bet you don't think your microwave is a waste of money. Or your cushioned insoles in your sneakers. Or your satellite TV. Or the smoke detector in your kitchen. Or the cordless tools that you may use when something in your house breaks. Or the filter that purifies your tap water in that Brita pitcher. Maybe you or someone in your family has a heart condition, and has a pacemaker that will (or has) save their life some day. God forbid you get sick, and need a CAT scan, or kidney dialysis.

None of this stuff would exist without the space program. Waste of money? Hell, we should be investing more into it.

I'd go, just to see the beautiful views of the world. Plus, see the Great Wall from space, which would be cool.

I took a tour of a submarine. it was very confining.

no interest for me.

living on the moon or in a space station would not be much fun.

Back
Top Bottom