Women Lose 90 Percent of Eggs by Age 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
By the time a woman reaches 30, she’s lost 90 percent of her ovarian eggs for good, according to a new study, which suggests that the female “biological clock situation is worse than we thought," says Elan Simckes, M.D., medical director and founder of The Fertility Partnership of St. Peter’s, MO.

The study, published by the University of St. Andrews and Edinburgh University in Scotland found that 95 percent of women have less than 12 percent of their ovarian egg reserve left by age 30 and only three percent by 40.

“It sends a strong message to wannabe moms that ‘sooner is better,’ says Dr. Simckes. “I have been telling patients for years that a woman’s ability to
conceive peaks in her late teens stays fairly stable until 30 and nosedives after 35.”

At the same time the study is bolstering medical community recommendations surrounding women’s age and conception, it speaks volumes about the anxiety women over 30 face when trying to conceive.

Biological Clock Ticks Faster Than Most Women Realize

:yikes:

I'm getting closer to 30 (I'll be 28 in June) as well as my female friends. This article has freaked me out. I usually tell myself I could have a baby in my late 30s because my sister is 36 and having her first baby, plus my mom had me at age 43. But now I am thinking what can I do? What can woman everywhere do? Nature wants us to conceive at a young age yet society won't allow it. It is best for a woman to be well educated, have a solid job, in good financial standing and then be in a rock solid relationship, married or not, before she even thinks about getting pregnant. By the time she gets all this, she is in her 30s and her fertility drops dramatically. She then may face fertility treatments, at-risk pregnancies, etc.

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts are about this - particularly women in their late 20s and older.

I have no problem learning this, as I'm 36 and not planning on having children. ;)

I did find it interesting, however, that I had a "holy shit" moment this past year when I read something that made me realize that should I decide to have a child even this year, I'd be considered "high risk" in some areas due to my age.

It was very strange. Like, how did this happen? How am I suddenly too old for a risk-free pregnancy?

Nature wants us to conceive at a young age yet society won't allow it. It is best for a woman to be well educated, have a solid job, in good financial standing and then be in a rock solid relationship, married or not, before she even thinks about getting pregnant. By the time she gets all this, she is in her 30s and her fertility drops dramatically.

If the planet is overpopulated, perhaps society and nature are more closely aligned than we know.

I have no problem learning this, as I'm 36 and not planning on having children. ;)

that is your choice
and that is fine

I feel Pearl's pain, time is running out faster than most people realize

many will end up alone in a one bedroom apartment with half a dozen cats,
while others spend holidays filled with the love and joy of children and grandchildren.

Biological Clock Ticks Faster Than Most Women Realize

Not necessarliy true! It depends on the person and their health. My sister in law had a kid at 36, another at almost 38 and just had her last kid this past October at age 44 all healthy baby boys! She is healthy too!

Best thing to do is to check with your doctor before you make any rash desicions or get depressed

that is your choice
and that is fine

while others spend holidays filled with the love and joy of children and grandchildren.

I know that 9 times out of 10, you aren't serious with your comments and you're just trying to be the tongue-in-cheek shit-stirrer, but sometimes your comments are just unnecessary.

But I'm awfully glad you approve of my choice.

This article has freaked me out.

So this is not a clinical opinion but anxiety has a more dramatic negative effect on fertility than having 10s of thousands instead of 100s of thousands of viable eggs that release at the rate of 12 per year.

You have plenty of time. :hug:

Hey, look on the positive side. You'll have 10% left after 30! That's at least something, compared to those who are infertile!

many will end up alone in a one bedroom apartment with half a dozen cats

That's not true at all. :rolleyes:

I'll have you know it's seven cats (and a dog) in a three bedroom house! :wink:

that is your choice
and that is fine

While I don't take offence at this as it really doesn't apply to me or my life choices, honestly deep, this is seriously rude and frankly, hurtful to probably a few people here (regardless of how you meant it, it's how it comes across).

cori and anitram, i would give either of you a baby, just ask.

I don't know how many of us really know any of us in here.

Having been here a few years, I feel like I know many of you.
(As much as any of us can know anyone form internet interactions.)

Pearl has always seemed like a very sweet, sincere and nice person.

This thread topic just seemed to invite negative speculation and generalizations.

So I offered it up, fully expecting it to be refuted.

Most of you should know that I don't see things as being "either/ or".

I know too many with children that are unhappy and too many with no children that are happy.

I do believe that our happiness is affected by our relationships with other people.
And that our ability to establish healthy relationships begins with how we feel about ourselves.

I do believe that our happiness is affected by our relationships with other people.
And that our ability to establish healthy relationships begins with how we feel about ourselves.

I would absolutely agree.

And maybe you should have posted that thoughtful post instead.

Because although some of us know you and your style well, for the ones that don't, what you wrote has the potential to be personally hurtful.

Anitram said it better than I could. :)

Pearl, sorry to hijack your thread.

Should be interesting to see other responses. I know many women have some strong reactions to anything regarding societal or biological pressure to have kids (or sometimes judgment regarding those decisions).

Should be interesting to see other responses.

Out of my circle of female friends (95% of whom fall into the 28-33) range, I can only think of 3 who have had babies, and only one of the three is a career woman (she's a lawyer) who really had to figure out how to balance her professional and home life. The other two basically stopped working when they had kids, and aren't planning to go back for a few more years at least. They both have multiple kids and daycare is so expensive that it financially doesn't make sense for them to work. Almost everyone I know will therefore have babies in their 30s, or not at all.

This will probably turn into a race of nature vs. fertility drugs, which have by and large changed our reproductive landscape and will continue to do so by leaps and bounds.

Pearl, sorry to hijack your thread.

No worries.

I was a little stunned by deep's comment but now the thread seems to be getting back on track.

A friend of mine said that if getting pregnant doesn't work out, it probably wasn't meant to be. In that case, adoption would be the next thing to do - at least for me.

Pearl,

I hope you read my second reply, too.

Adoption is a viable option. I have two adopted nieces included in my 19 nieces and nephews. The adoptive parents could not be happier.

I have two sets of friends that both got triplets through in-vitro.

I have a very good friend that had a healthy baby girl at age 45, six years ago. She now has a 28 yr old. 22 year old and 6 year old.

I don't think redrocks meant anything

if I posted a picture of this 51 year old mother, he would probably ask for her number.

2.jpg

No offense taken, I'm just saying it's far from unheard of. Looking around when I was growing up, there were more than a few 'elderly' parents, either because kid x came at the tail end of an enormous family, or because there was just the one (or two).

Of course there are difficulties after age 30, and, especially, 40... but it isn't an absolute.

Do you think your mother's advance age when she conceived you
has anything to do with your hair loss or need for corrective lenses?

Nature wants us to conceive at a young age yet society won't allow it. It is best for a woman to be well educated, have a solid job, in good financial standing and then be in a rock solid relationship, married or not, before she even thinks about getting pregnant. By the time she gets all this, she is in her 30s and her fertility drops dramatically.

It doesn't necessarily have to be 30s, but many people spend their 20s playing the relationship game, and then "get serious" in their 30s. I'm a big believer in taking relationships seriously, which is why I've only ever had two serious relationships in my life. And why people in high school called me the old man.

There is always a trade-off when it comes to family planning, and for many (men and women) it's the trade-off between financial standing and children. Not an easy decision.

i know several people who waited until their very early 30s to have children so that they could be more established in their careers -- they are stopping at one child because, even though they waited, it's prohibitively expensive to have more than one child when day care is $1600 a month.

Ok, I know I'm going to be hated for saying this (and I know that in most cases a second income is needed for most families to survive), but why have a kid when you are going to put him/her day care?

Ok, I know I'm going to be hated for saying this (and I know that in most cases a second income is needed for most families to survive), but why have a kid when you are going to put him/her day care?

Because you have aspirations that go beyond staying at home and raising children?

I went to daycare for half the day, the other half we were looked after by my grandmother. My Mom is an incredibly accomplished woman, a Professor, a published author, a public speaker. My Dad also worked full-time. I don't think I missed a thing by being in daycare - hell I still have friends from that time.

I want children, but I have zero intention of staying at home full-time. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom