Woman Fired For Being Too Irresistible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
There's a professional way in which to tell someone that they aren't dressing appropriately, or behaving appropriately. Don't know why she never reported those types of comments as being sexual harassment. But dude can't control himself and might have an affair with her, so she gets fired? Maybe he should seek some help with that. The wife orders him to fire her-well, maybe she should be concerned about her husband's behavior too.

Of course without all the details of their relationship and whatever her inappropriate behavior was (other than the clothing) it's easier to reach that conclusion. But talking about pants bulges and asking about orgasms? No, not appropriate in a work relationship. Who would want to work for a guy like him anyway? But is it sending that message, that men can do whatever they want?

ABC News

After working as a dental assistant for ten years, Melissa Nelson was fired for being too “irresistible” and a “threat” to her employer’s marriage.

“I think it is completely wrong,” Nelson said. ”I think it is sending a message that men can do whatever they want in the work force.”

On Friday, the all-male Iowa State Supreme Court ruled that James Knight, Nelson’s boss, was within his legal rights when he fired her, affirming the decision of a lower court.

“We do think the Iowa Supreme Court got it completely right,” said Stuart Cochrane, an attorney for James Knight. “Our position has always been Mrs. Nelson was never terminated because of her gender, she was terminated because of concerns her behavior was not appropriate in the workplace. She’s an attractive lady. Dr. Knight found her behavior and dress to be inappropriate.”

For Nelson, a 32-year-old married mother of two, the news of her firing and the rationale behind it came as a shock.

“I was very surprised after working so many years side by side I didn’t have any idea that that would have crossed his mind,” she said.

The two never had a sexual relationship or sought one, according to court documents. However in the final year and a half of Nelson’s employment, Knight began to make comments about her clothing being too tight or distracting.

“Dr. Knight acknowledges he once told Nelson that if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing,” the justices wrote.

Six months before Nelson was fired, she and her boss began exchanging text messages about work and personal matters, such as updates about each of their children’s activities, the justices wrote.

The messages were mostly mundane, but Nelson recalled one text she received from her boss asking “how often she experienced an orgasm.”

Nelson did not respond to the text and never indicated that she was uncomfortable with Knight’s question, according to court documents.

Soon after, Knight’s wife, Jeanne, who also works at the practice, found out about the text messaging and ordered her husband to fire Nelson.

The couple consulted with a senior pastor at their church and he agreed that Nelson should be terminated in order to protect their marriage, Cochrane said.

On Jan. 4, 2010, Nelson was summoned to a meeting with Knight while a pastor was present. Knight then read from a prepared statement telling Nelson she was fired.

“Dr. Knight felt like for the best interest of his marriage and the best interest of hers to end their employment relationship,” Cochrane said.

Knight acknowledged in court documents that Nelson was good at her job and she, in turn, said she was generally treated with respect.

“I’m devastated. I really am,” Nelson said.

When Nelson’s husband tried to reason with Knight, the dentist told him he “feared he would have an affair with her down the road if he did not fire her.”

Paige Fiedler, Nelson’s attorney, said in a statement to ABC News affiliate KCRG that she was “appalled” by the ruling.

“We are appalled by the Court’s ruling and its failure to understand the nature of gender bias.,” she wrote.

“Although people act for a variety of reasons, it is very common for women to be targeted for discrimination because of their sexual attractiveness or supposed lack of sexual attractiveness. That is discrimination based on sex,” Fiedler wrote. “Nearly every woman in Iowa understands this because we have experienced it for ourselves.”

I mentioned this in the Absolutely Disgusted thread.

Really, how could her work clothes be too tight? Maybe its different in Iowa, but I'm sure dental assistants there wear scrubs, which is loose and shapeless clothing.

That dentist was totally sexually harassing her, and he practically got away with it. And his wife saw Nelson as a threat to her marriage because she noticed her husband took an interest in her. Excuse me sweetie, its your husband's fault for going after Nelson. He's the one who did wrong - yes, the man you love and are married to had an interest in another woman. Face the truth.

This couple has some issues, no doubt, but the real story and the problem I have are the so called holders of the law excused this shit.

I mentioned this in the Absolutely Disgusted thread.

Sorry, didn't see that. Wasn't in the mood to be disgusted :wink: I think it's fine to have a separate thread about this topic :)

I'm sure he was probably talking about what she was wearing under her scrubs, guess she had some low cut/tight tops on under them. Or that's what she wore to work then changed into the scrubs.

This couple has some issues, no doubt, but the real story and the problem I have are the so called holders of the law excused this shit.

All 7 jurors - all of them men - agreed that the dentist had the right to fire Nelson.

Sorry, didn't see that. Wasn't in the mood to be disgusted :wink: I think it's fine to have a separate thread about this topic :)

Sure, no problem.

I'm sure he was probably talking about what she was wearing under her scrubs, guess she had some low cut/tight tops on under them. Or that's what she wore to work then changed into the scrubs.

But scrubs are not low cut or flimsy, so how would he see what she wore underneath? The second theory is possible, but I would think she went to work in her scrubs because I've seen many medical workers go to work like that.

The whole story just doesn't make sense. I've seen other articles where the dentist insisted he had strong morals, as if that excused his interest in Nelson.

This is just a case that if a man lusts after another woman, it is all her fault.

Soooo what the hell?

Because he's a sad mysogynistic pig she's fired?

:doh:

How is this even possible. This is starting to sound like the Sharia... women must wear lumpy rags because OH NOEZ MEN CAN SEE SKIN :combust:

How is this even possible. This is starting to sound like the Sharia... women must wear lumpy rags because OH NOEZ MEN CAN SEE SKIN :combust:

This is starting to sound like everywhere in the world.

I'm not surprised that this sort of thing happens.

“We do think the Iowa Supreme Court got it completely right,” said Stuart Cochrane, an attorney for James Knight. “Our position has always been Mrs. Nelson was never terminated because of her gender, she was terminated because of concerns her behavior was not appropriate in the workplace. She’s an attractive lady. Dr. Knight found her behavior and dress to be inappropriate.”

So what she did was inappropriate, but this...

“Dr. Knight acknowledges he once told Nelson that if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing,”

...is totally okay?

(Seriously. BARF. What the hell?)

Amen to this. Those sorry excuses for justices should be removed. What a bunch of total dumbasses.

Users are taking to Yelp to discredit an Iowa dentist who fired his assistant for being too hot.
An all-male Iowa court ruled last week that James Knight was justified in firing his assistant, Melissa Nelson, for being too “irresistible” and putting his marriage at risk. While Knight's marriage may be safe for now, his business is another story. Yelp users panned the dentist for firing Nelson and as of Wednesday afternoon, all of the reviews of Knight’s business on Yelp were in reference to the court ruling.
One user wrote: “Please, boycott this man, as you've probably read in the previous comments, he believes his physical attraction to people to be so uncontrollable that he is justified in firing them.” Another Yelp user posted the entire Associated Press report on the site.

James Knight, Dentist Who Fired 'Irresistible' Worker, Gets Slammed On Yelp

The guy shot himself in the foot by dismissing the assistant. He should probably retire since he's going to lose many patients. Moving to another state won't help because word does get around.

Read this article on MSN.com this morning & had to double check that I hadn't mistakenly woken up in 1957. :doh: A lot of the MSN comments were along the lines that Knight was perfectly within his rights as an employer to fire Nelson for whatever reason he wanted to, so long as it wasn't for "discriminatory reasons". Seriously - that's supposed to hold some water after he'd had her employed for 10 YEARS? And the fact that apparently the court felt Mrs. Knight wanting Nelson fired was adequate reason to let her go disturbs me beyond words. This is all kinds of fucked up. :confused:

incredibly scary that this would be upheld in a court of law :ohmy:

lets all wear burqas then shall we :rolleyes:

that guy was way out of line - clear-cut sexual harassment - i would have sued his sorry ass!

She's not even that hot.

Citibank had a better case against this woman

ejrx6nok8suouso.jpg

Debrahlee Lorenzana (PICTURES) Fired for Being Too Sexy? - Crimesider - CBS News

I find it a bit uncomfortable that in a thread about the real world implications of male sexism towards women, we've got guys making remarks, even if they're in jest, about the woman's looks.

Knight and his wife believed that his attraction to Nelson – two decades younger than the dentist – had become a threat to their marriage.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wife was the one who was more concerned about the other girl than he was.

My mom told me she used to work at a hotel years ago when she was young, and the owner had a bit of a crush on her. She didn't let it become anything else, but she did enjoy a little preferential treatment. But she eventually got fired, and she says it's because his wife knew and made him do it. :lol:

In her boss's defense, she shouldn't have been dressing like a slut, etc. Women need to take a good look at themselves before they leave the house and question whether or not they look like they're asking for it.

So many men in this country have lost their wives to such harlots. Or worse, went to prison for some sort of harassment. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom