Will you eat the Frankenfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Super salmon or 'Frankenfish'? FDA to decide - Health - Food safety

100920-salmon-hmed-3a.grid-8x2.jpg

Would you like a little pout with your fish?

Not clones
Genetically engineered — or GE — animals are not clones, which the FDA has already said are safe to eat. Clones are copies of an animal. With GE animals, the DNA has been altered to produce a desirable characteristic.
In the case of the salmon, AquaBounty has added a growth hormone from a Chinook salmon that allows the fish to produce their growth hormone all year long. The engineers were able to keep the hormone active by using another gene from an eel-like fish called an ocean pout that acts like an on switch for the hormone, according to the company. Conventional salmon produce the growth hormone only some of the time.

I'll hush up now, so an actual discussion can take place.

Although it was funny that deep's post showed up without the picture at first. :)

*reigns in silliness to respond intelligently*

Ahem.

Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I just don't trust that GE foods are safe. I would think there've got to be some kind of long term repercussions that the FDA can't know about until the population's been living on a steady diet of this stuff for a sustained period of time.

Then again, maybe it's nothing more than selective breeding on a modern, technological scale. Still - makes me nervous. :shrug:

I haven't really read into it yet....but considering that I already eat salmon from the Great Lakes which does not have a reputation of being the healthiest environment on earth and when the fish is smoked I like the part that contains the most mercury, I don't see how this could be any worse....

Now if they could just engineer German shepherd puppies to not go through a teething phase...

Obviously GM organisms need to go through a strict evaluation but I'd have no problem consuming salmon which grow all year round. Given the decline of fish stocks these technologies could really help save the environment.

I'm really torn on this.

Salmon is such a healthy source of protein and fatty acids, but GM stuff worries me.

Like someone said, it's more about it getting out into the wild than it is about humans ingesting the meat. I don't believe it's a hormone thing, I thought it was a growth gene that was modified.

:hmm: I do luvs me some salmon.

No, and like a poster mentioned, if these fish escaped into the wild ,
they might reek havoc on the eco system.

Man thinks 'cause he rules the earth he can do with it as he please
And if things don't change soon, he will
Oh, man has invented his doom
First step was touching the moon.

~from the song License To Kill by Bob Dylan

Back
Top Bottom