Will Sudan split into two nations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleoscar

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/o...ion&adxnnlx=1294581608-gYZYI117147NmE+75lt5QA

NOT every generation is given the chance to turn the page on the past and write a new chapter in history. Yet today — after 50 years of civil wars that have killed two million people and turned millions more into refugees — this is the opportunity before the people of southern Sudan.

Over the next week, millions of southern Sudanese will vote on whether to remain part of Sudan or to form their own independent nation. This process — and the actions of Sudanese leaders — will help determine whether people who have known so much suffering will move toward peace and prosperity, or slide backward into bloodshed. It will have consequences not only for Sudan, but also for sub-Saharan Africa and the world.

I'm not optimistic. I think the Sudanese politicians will do whatever they can to tighten their grip on the south.

Working on a project right now dealing with this very issue. Clooney and Prendergast have been out in front on this one in terms of advocating for a diplomatic solution, as unlikely as that seems at this point. We're late on this issue, as usual, but hopefully we can lead a push for democratic, diplomatic resolution. Sudan has 30 days to ratify, so there is a little time.

I wonder how they can figure out their oil profit distribution because a large amount of it is in the south? As usual we will see as reactions unfold.

purpleoscar said:
I wonder how they can figure out their oil profit distribution because a large amount of it is in the south? As usual we will see as reactions unfold.

There will have to be some sort of cooperation even if they separate, as the pipeline infrastructure all leads to the north.

What does that have to do with Sudan?

BTW, its Iraq with a Q.

Back
Top Bottom