Will Obama end Don't Ask Don't Tell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Murphy amendment passes in House with bi-partisan support

234 - 194

5 Republicans voting yes

26 Democrats voting no, to repeal

Don't tell, Don't ask.

Now, on to the Senate.

WOOOOOOHOO! :dance:

Fantastic news :up:. It's nice to see a few Republicans did vote in favor of repeal-course, it was tied to a defense spending thing, so perhaps that had something to do with it...but who knows, why be cynical.

"This is devastating to the war fighters and the combat infantrymen," said Rep. John Shimkus, R-Ill.

Oh, just shut up already. I look forward to him being proven wrong.

Angela

and when this passes, NOTHING is going to be different for straight soldiers. all that will happen is that the gay soldiers who have been serving alongside them since forever will be able to breathe a little bit easier and not be forced to lie.

it will be a total non-event.

congrats to Obama.

i'm glad that dadt is over, it was a stupid policy.
however, i will say that why anybody would want to serve a country that doesn't serve them is beyond me. any homosexual person would know that the "freedom" the military say they fight for is certainly not granted to them.
but, as y'all said, at least they don't have to cover up now.

I find it utterly amazing, actually, that so many groups of people who were discriminated against had a lot of members in the military. Black people, gays, Japanese, etc.-despite the fact that their country treated them like crap at best, they still were willing to fight for the place they called home. I really admire that. Perhaps it helps give other people hope and inspires them-"Well, if they're willing to fight for what they want, then so am I".

Angela

but, as y'all said, at least they don't have to cover up now.

well, the straight soldiers are now going to have to. in those hot, steamy, soapy gang showers. the gay soldiers are going to just prance on in and look at the straight soldiers and their virile bodies and dangling protrusions and good lord knows what's going to happen next.

It's definitely good news. But the war-jaded side of me thinks it comes more from pressure on military recruiting than from doing what's right. But hey, whatever works. It's a social, political and military win-win-win. :up:

well, the straight soldiers are now going to have to. in those hot, steamy, soapy gang showers. the gay soldiers are going to just prance on in and look at the straight soldiers and their virile bodies and dangling protrusions and good lord knows what's going to happen next.

you know, that's all the recruiting marketing i'd need to get me to sign up! that sounds hot.

The military is a bit gay anyway, though, isn't it?

there are a lot of gay people -- men and women -- in the military. a lot.

it was a surprise to me.

if the gay population is roughly 5% or so in society as a whole, i'd say it's higher in the armed forces.

Ollie North On Homosexuals In The Military: ‘NAMBLA Members Are Next’ | Mediaite

While discussing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” with Sean Hannity, former Marine Corp officer and Fox News contributor Ollie North highlighted the weakness of his own argument by resorting to the same old tired bigotry, comparing homosexuality to organized pedophilia. In what he called a “stunning assault on the all-volunteer military” North slammed Obama for his attempt to allow gays to serve openly in the military, alleging, “Here’s what’s next: NAMBLA members, same-sex marriages,” seemingly unsure himself about the direction his case was headed. The president, he said, is treating soldiers “like lab rats in a radical social experiment.”

“This isn’t about rights, this isn’t about fairness,” North said. “It’s all about national security.

“It’s all about national security."

'Cause firing people who could help us out significantly in the war on terror for something as inconsequential as who they love will help us be more secure :rolleyes:.

STFU, Ollie North. And :down: to Hannity for still essentially seeming to agree with him, or even having him on and taking him remotely seriously.

Angela

A couple of the comments on that story that I liked. Yes that is just it, it's like some of these guys are fantasizing :hmm:

"I am also a vet….I had no problem serving with gays, which I did….I am sick of bigotry and hate…I am sick of people like Ollie North who presume to speak for the military of today. If somebody wants to serve his/her country let them…they should be judged by their performance when carrying out their assignments….not by some stereotypical fantasy swirling around in some old codger’s empty head. "

"It was never spoken of openly while I was in the military, and it never will be unless the policy is lifted. But that doesn’t mean that people don’t know who is and isn’t gay. I can say honestly that in my unit the majority of the people felt that way. That being said, in my battalion alone there were several instances where a gay man and woman would marry, get their married pay, and share a home off base with their respective partners. I know of 3 instances where that happened, and the unit level chain of command knew about it. Nobody cared because they were good soldiers."

We should send those comments on to idiots like North. I'd love to see him still try and defend his homophobia after hearing from actual soldiers who genuinely don't have a problem with gays serving. I'd love to see how he would answer that.

That's really nice to hear those comments. Yay for those people :up:.

Angela

I was in the Army for a few years, and there were some homosexuals in the units I was in. One was my boss for a brief time and later became the battalion commander -- and was one of the better examples of military leadership I came across. A few were my soldiers. Honestly, from what I recall, all of them were competent and committed, if not superior to their peers. Generally, everyone knew what their orientation was, but I feel confident in saying that nobody really cared. If there was any discrimination, I never saw it at all.

Back
Top Bottom