WikiLeaks largest classified military leak - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #361
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam4bono View Post
The damage caused by this specific crime pales in comparison to the damage caused to the nation by exposing it.
Only to somebody like you who apparently ascribes zero importance to the rule of law and the concept that the rule of law should extend equally to us and those who would rule us.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #362
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Letting corrupt politicians believe that as long as they keep things secret they are immune from the law of the land is an incredibly dangerous idea,
I never said that breaking the law was ok, just that in this case, the harm done in reporting the crime turned out to be greater than harm from the crime itself.

Quote:
and our country was and is far better off having suffered whatever momentary loss of status it suffered in exchange for not completely abandoning the core principle that those who govern are expected to do so legally and must be held to account when they don't
A President got caught engaged in minor criminal activity. If it had went unnoticed as it so often has throughout this nations history, nothing terrible would of happened given the nature of the crime. Breaking into the democratic party offices is one thing (during an election in which the President was going to win in a massive landslide anyways), removing an elected leader of a vital country during times of crises in South East Asia and the rest of the world is indeed another.

The whole Clinton impeachment exercise was another waste of time as well. Better for the country if no one had found out any details about that either.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #363
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I have a hard believing anyone truly believes this...
Isn't this place called "Free Your Mind"? Yes, its a minority or alternative view vs. what would be considered mainstream.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #364
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
You appear to be unfamiliar with the details and motivations of the various actors in this whole case. Bradley Manning is not a Wikileaks employee.
Ahhhh, so that makes it ok for Wikileaks to publish sensitive information effecting the national security of the United States?

If I got all the private records about you and your family from someone else, would that make it ok for me to publish it online?

Quote:
A truly authoritarian mindset.
Whats authoritarian about simply making an assessment about the harm caused by two different actions? Is it impossible that the exposure of a minor criminal offense could be more harmful than the minor criminal offense itself?

Quote:
Yes, I was already aware of that distinction.
Well, its an important distinction you failed to mention. Otherwise, people assume that all 2.5 million people have access to anything that is classified, and that is far from being the case.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #365
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:01 AM
this one belongs in Interference!

Quote:
WikiLeaks cable reveals Berlusconi's efforts to duck Bono tongue-lashing
Italian prime minister considered increasing budget for foreign assistance just to avoid losing face to U2 frontman

Amelia Hill
guardian.co.uk, Friday 17 December 2010 21.30 GMT

A WikiLeaks cable reveals how Silvio Berlusconi, seen here at a press conference for the G8 summit in L'Aquila, Italy, decided to maintain levels of aid to Africa to avoid a showdown with Bono. Photograph: Pier Paolo Cito/AP

Silvio Berlusconi considered increasing Italy's foreign aid budget during the country's 2009 G8 presidency to avoid a "tongue-lashing" from Irish rock hero Bono, according to a confidential US diplomatic cable released by WikiLeaks.

In the leaked memo, William Meara, the economic adviser at the American embassy in Rome, reports that despite budget cuts and "with its 2009 G8 presidency looming", the newly installed, centre-right government "may decide to maintain funding levels [to Africa] simply to avoid an embarrassing tongue-lashing from Bono et al".

The relationship between the two men had been publicly strained since 2006, when Bono accused Berlusconi of "exploiting" his image in the runup to the country's elections.

The U2 frontman had appeared in a brochure sent to Italian homes in which it was claimed that Bono, who has long worked to eradicate world poverty, was "grateful" for Italy's actions to help the world's poor.

In an open letter, Bono said he felt a "bit exploited" by the claim. He pointed out that Italy would have to more than double its aid by 2010 to meet a personal commitment Berlusconi had made to the singer to cancel the debts of poor countries to Italy.

The confidential 2008 cable reveals how badly Berlusconi wanted to avoid losing face. It details a meeting between Meara and Fabrizio Nava, director of the office of sub-Saharan Africa assistance for the Italian government.

It reveals that after Meara "brought up criticism voiced by NGOs such as Bono's Debt AIDS Trade Africa and Action Aid Italy that Italy's aid apparatus is out-of-date and overly focused on infrastructure projects", Nava said he expected African assistance would be a focus during Italy's G8 presidency.

He promised Meara that Berlusconi had decided to maintain African assistance levels – even increasing the budget allocation for foreign assistance slightly, to €4.1bn, or 0.27% of GDP. Between €140-200m went to Africa for bilateral and multilateral humanitarian assistance.

As it turned out, Berlusconi's later attempts to avoid a further high-profile and embarrassing confrontation with the singer, as revealed in the leaked memo, were doomed.

In 2009, the year in which it hosted a G8 summit in the earthquake-hit city of L'Aquila, Italy's overseas development aid to sub-Saharan Africa fell by €238m.

The shortfall caused Bono and Bob Geldof to launch an irreverent online game last June in which a cartoon character of Berlusconi is hurled into the air by a hammer thrower. "We all love a bit of fun," the site explains. "But there's a serious point to the game – since promising to increase aid to Africa in 2005 PM Berlusconi has actually cut it.

"One man alone has done nothing. In fact Berlusconi is doing even less now than he was five years ago. Mr Berlusconi should be thrown out by the G8," it added.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
If I got all the private records about you and your family from someone else, would that make it ok for me to publish it online?
once again... that is completely irrelevant...
Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #367
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Only to somebody like you who apparently ascribes zero importance to the rule of law and the concept that the rule of law should extend equally to us and those who would rule us.
I'm only making an assessment about the harm caused by each event in this specific case. I think it would have been better for the country if no one had found out about watergate. I feel the same way about the Clinton thing as well. I don't know where you get the idea that I ascribe zero importance to the rule of law?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #368
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:01 AM
Quote:
Isn't this place called "Free Your Mind"? Yes, its a minority or alternative view vs. what would be considered mainstream.
Yes and there are still those that believe the world is flat... and when they come in and express that belief I'll tell them the same thing.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #369
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Depends on what kind of records they were. If they were records of somebody doing something horrific, then I think the public should know that information.

But besides that, there's a wee bit of a difference between posting information about one's personal life and posting information about unethical, if not outright illegal political actions that have a drastic effect on all involved.

And yes, this place is called "Free Your Mind". You're entitled to share any viewpoint you wish. But you also should be prepared that some will find it incredulous or call you out on it, too. Such is life.

Angela
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #370
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
once again... that is completely irrelevant...
It involves information, that is private. How is it irrelevant? Why would it be ok to expose sensitive national security information about the United States, but not ok to expose an individuals private information? In the first case, hundreds maybe thousands of lives could be impacted, in the second case your only talking about one person potentially being impacted by the exposure.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #371
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Yes and there are still those that believe the world is flat... and when they come in and express that belief I'll tell them the same thing.
Really? Can you provide a link?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #372
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Really? Can you provide a link?
Sure

An Error Has Occurred!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #373
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
It involves information, that is private. How is it irrelevant? Why would it be ok to expose sensitive national security information about the United States, but not ok to expose an individuals private information? In the first case, hundreds maybe thousands of lives could be impacted, in the second case your only talking about one person potentially being impacted by the exposure.
irrelevant because it is of no interest to others whatsoever??

facebook is bad enough...
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #374
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Depends on what kind of records they were. If they were records of somebody doing something horrific, then I think the public should know that information.

But besides that, there's a wee bit of a difference between posting information about one's personal life and posting information about unethical, if not outright illegal political actions that have a drastic effect on all involved.
So Wikileaks only published information about "unethical and outright illegal political actions"? Is something unethical or illegal if Wikileaks claims it to be? What about the impact to the US military, US State department, citizens performing dangerous work for the US government? How could it be right to take that information and expose it to terrorist involved in mass murder of people around the world?

The Taliban and Al Quada benefit the most from the dumping of hundreds of thousands of private, classified information. The United States keeps certain information classified for a reason. The most important being keeping it out of the hands of people who intend to do the country and its citizens harm. Wikileaks just helped to make that information available to such people.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #375
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
irrelevant because it is of no interest to others whatsoever??

facebook is bad enough...
Well, then why is it "private"?