Why You Should Never Steal Less Than 1 Million Dollars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
A homeless man robbed a Louisiana bank and took a $100 bill. After feeling remorseful, he surrendered to police the next day. The judge sentenced him to 15 years in prison.

Roy Brown, 54, robbed the Capital One bank in Shreveport, Louisiana in December 2007. He approached the teller with one of his hands under his jacket and told her that it was a robbery.

The teller handed Brown three stacks of bill but he only took a single $100 bill and returned the remaining money back to her. He said that he was homeless and hungry and left the bank.

The next day he surrendered to the police voluntarily and told them that his mother didn’t raise him that way.

Brown told the police he needed the money to stay at the detox center and had no other place to stay and was hungry.

In Caddo District Court, he pleaded guilty. The judge sentenced him to 15 years in prison for first degree robbery.
Homeless man gets 15 years for stealing $100 - Digital Journal: Your News Network

After putting up with David Vitter, William Jefferson, and New Orleans pols...Louisiana is finally cracking down on the REAL crooks.

As the saying goes, if you owe the bank $5,000, you have a problem. If you owe the bank $500 million, the bank has a problem.

At least he's not homeless anymore.

icon_downsrim.gif

I understand the seriousness of robbing a bank for whatever amount. I would expect some jail time--a few years minimum. But 15 years? I posted an article where judges performed all manner of federal illegalities that destroyed the integrity of the courtroom and will be sentenced to 7 years and restitution of millions that will never be seen. We are a society ruled by class.

One of the local talk show hosts who's friends with one of the judges said he was smart enough to be a judge, but not smart enough to be a criminal. Actually, I think it was more that he was ethical enough to be a criminal, but not ethical enough to be a judge.

I understand the seriousness of robbing a bank for whatever amount. I would expect some jail time--a few years minimum. But 15 years? I posted an article where judges performed all manner of federal illegalities that destroyed the integrity of the courtroom and will be sentenced to 7 years and restitution of millions that will never be seen. We are a society ruled by class.

do you have benchbooks in the US? our judges have these, and they're literally guidelines for judges. they don't have to use them, but they're good for attempting uniformity and consistency in an otherwise imperfect system.

They have sentencing guidelines. Some of them mandatory. Most of them looser.
I assume the homeless man committed a Federal crime. I'll have to look into bank robbery for sentencing

They have sentencing guidelines. Some of them mandatory. Most of them looser.
I assume the homeless man committed a Federal crime. I'll have to look into bank robbery for sentencing

no, these aren't so much sentencing guidelines. we, and i assume you, have Acts to control this, but these books are literally guides to help judges with everything from procedure to sentencing - all in one handy reference. some judges find it beneath them. some cannot function without it. i'm not sure which is worse.

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/2265.htm

Last edited:
They may. I would assume they do. But that's just talking out of my ass.

If he were in England, he'd be bailed into a 5* hotel whilst the courts clear up all the speeding fine charges.

Seriously...15 years is a bit extreme.

And Madoff is still in his penthouse

White collar crime pays. Being homeless and robbing for some food and then being a good human being about it, not so much.

Absolutely disgusting. The man was hungry, and that's why he took the money. Isn't it enough that he gave it back?

It's sad that a homeless man who robs a bank for food money gets more prison time than someone who killed someone. :no:

Yes, but not always. Sometimes their sentence is reduced.

I was just making a point that someone who returned something he stole (and showed remorse) got an outrageous sentence, compared to someone who kills someone and shows no remorse, and will likely kill again. I doubt this guy will ever rob a bank again.

Our judicial system is flawed.

I wonder if the cartoon rich guy in the banner ad up top has ever stolen more than a million dollars? Judging from his moniker, I'd guess the answer is yes.

Back
Top Bottom